Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - ns23
Hi All

I am looking to get a used (3yr old max) family car that seats 5 for weekend/city use.(5-6k mileage annually). Looking at mainly petrol given the mileage, and ideally a long-ish saloon like a Superb (or slightly smaller, not a compact car. Budget £20k.

Plan is to use it for c.3yrs and then sell to buy a proper SUV that can last 7-10yrs.

Having recently moved to the above plan, with earlier plans mainly SUV focused, i am struggling to shortlist before a detailed search.

Any pointers will be very helpful.
Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - Adampr

Personally, I'd probably go for a Toyota just because it will still be under warranty when you come to sell it. The same could be said for Kia, but they focus on SUVs these days.

How about a Corolla estate ('Touring Sports')?

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - Sulphur Man

A used petrol hybrid, of Japanese/Korean origin.

Toyota Corolla Hybrid Estate is a good one. Will retain a lot of value.

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - DavidGlos
Kia Optima or Hyundai i40?
Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - Falkirk Bairn

Neighbour bought a Suzuki Swace instead of the Corolla - same car, different badges and a much sharper price to buy new - looks like cheaper to buy 2nd hand as well!

That said he may suffer when it comes to re-sale in the short term - keeping it for a long period the price differential will be a lot less.

Toyota up to 10 year warranty, Suzuki up to 7 years warranty

Thank you

The Toyota linked ease of theft is my only concern (learned from my another thread) as parking is likely to be on a street near a block of
Flats
Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - John F
Hi All I am looking to get a used (3yr old max) family car that seats 5 for weekend/city use.(5-6k mileage annually). Looking at mainly petrol given the mileage, and ideally a long-ish saloon like a Superb (or slightly smaller, not a compact car. Budget £20k. Plan is to use it for c.3yrs and then sell to buy a proper SUV that can last 7-10yrs...

Personally, with such a low annual mileage I'd be looking at a circa 4yr old/40,000 mile Superb Estate and caring for it indefinitely. It should last at least another fifteen years.

Yes, Superb does look good

Will also look at VW and Hyundai options in the interim

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - skidpan

Personally, with such a low annual mileage I'd be looking at a circa 4yr old/40,000 mile Superb Estate and caring for it indefinitely. It should last at least another fifteen years

Bit of a warning.

Since you already own an Audi you are in danger of being called a VAG Fanboy by one of our less intelligent members when you suggest another car from the same stable.

But if you continually suggest a Mazda or Toyota (even if you don't actually own one) you will be fine.

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - badbusdriver

Personally, with such a low annual mileage I'd be looking at a circa 4yr old/40,000 mile Superb Estate and caring for it indefinitely. It should last at least another fifteen years

Bit of a warning.

Since you already own an Audi you are in danger of being called a VAG Fanboy by one of our less intelligent members when you suggest another car from the same stable.

But if you continually suggest a Mazda or Toyota (even if you don't actually own one) you will be fine.

Bit of another warning.

If you continually suggest cars most likely to be reliable within a given budget, you will be criticised and/or mocked by even less intelligent forum members. At least one of which seems to be under some peculiar notion that the only way reliability can be determined is by having owned one or two examples of said car and having had no issues with them. Even more peculiar since aforementioned forum member only ever buys new cars and gets rid of them by the time the warranty is up (which obviously expresses great confidence at the expected long term reliability of said car)

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/11/2023 at 09:10

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - Andrew-T

<< If you continually suggest cars most likely to be reliable within a given budget, you will be criticised and/or mocked by even less intelligent forum members. At least one of which seems to be under some peculiar notion that the only way reliability can be determined is by having owned one or two examples of said car and having had no issues with them. Even more peculiar since aforementioned forum member only ever buys new cars and gets rid of them by the time the warranty is up (which obviously expresses great confidence at the expected long term reliability of said car) >>

Oooooh, BBD - that is pushing the boat out a bit, very risky :-)

Regulars will be tiring of hearing my remarks about old Pugs, but rather like Skidpan, with very few exceptions I have owned no other make since about 1988, because none of them has yet given me cause to curse and try another. Unlike him, I have never owned a brand-new one and have not suggested that Pugs might be the answer to anyone else's problems.

Even more peculiar since aforementioned forum member only ever buys new cars and gets rid of them by the time the warranty is up (which obviously expresses great confidence at the expected long term reliability of said car).

Well that single comment has 2 clear incorrect statements in it.

I do not "only buy new cars" had several pre-reg ones, the current Superb was pre-reg.

And I do not "get rid of them before the warranty is up". The current Superb is now out of warranty and I intend to keep it for another 2 years minimum (when the new Superb will have been out a while and proven). Tha wifes Fabia will be 6 years old next year when the new Yaris arrives, well out of warranty.

For your info the last car I swapped within the warranty period was the first Micra in 2008, 3 doors became a pain and when we were offered a cracking deal on a new 5 door with way better spec we snapped up the deal. That car was almost 8 years old when we sold it.

Perhaps only owners of old bangers should be allowed on this forum if you think that the comments made by owners of newer cars are of limited use. Personally I find comments made by members recommending posters to buy an old Japanese or Korean car to be stupid since those cars (like any old car) are without doubt potential money pits.

Any thoughts Mods?

Perhaps only owners of old bangers should be allowed on this forum if you think that the comments made by owners of newer cars are of limited use.

As an owner of a newer car, this is your comment:

Are you entitled to make it?, yes.

Is it of limited use?, hmmm!

Personally I find comments made by members recommending posters to buy an old Japanese or Korean car to be stupid since those cars (like any old car) are without doubt potential money pits.

Really, that does surprise me (because you are usually so tolerant of opinions which differ from yours).

But seriously, you are perfectly entitled to offer your own suggestions. Instead you choose to sit on the sidelines sniping and criticising others who are actually trying to help.

But seriously, you are perfectly entitled to offer your own suggestions. Instead you choose to sit on the sidelines sniping and criticising others who are actually trying to help.

Only last week when I offered my suggestions one of the forum members came on and called me a VAG Fanboy saying my opinions was irrelevant since only buy new cars. Fortunately our moderator removed said post obviously realising the forum is not for only for non VAG owners of older cars.

So at this point I make a suggestion. Leave the main forums to owners of newer car (say less than 6 years old). Members wanting to post about older cars should use the classics forums which at present are pretty much only used by spammers.

That way you would not see me since I have no interest in telling posters what a good idea it is to buy a 10 year old moneypit.

But each to thier own.

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - Andrew-T

<< Since you already own an Audi you are in danger of being called a VAG Fanboy by one of our less intelligent members when you suggest another car from the same stable. >>

Well, Skidpan, you started stirring this pot, so I don't see why you should expect support from the Mods against owners of 'old bangers'. I willingly admit that I own old cars, but I make sure when getting them that they don't count as bangers.

And I would only add that saying a pre-reg car is not 'new' is splitting hairs, IMHO.

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/11/2023 at 12:19

Car to flip in 3yrs: most value retained? - Metropolis.
We all go by our own experiences on personal choice of car especially. I have had very reliable service from a brand that is often criticised and virtually never recommended on here. But if I am recommending a car to another, I will play it safe and go with a brand that has a widely accepted reputation for build quality. Not perceived build quality, but true build quality. I am not sure that vag qualifies for that despite the well executed marketing hype.

So at this point I make a suggestion. Leave the main forums to owners of newer car (say less than 6 years old). Members wanting to post about older cars should use the classics forums which at present are pretty much only used by spammers.

That way you would not see me since I have no interest in telling posters what a good idea it is to buy a 10 year old moneypit.

Of course another alternative would simply be to leave things as they are and you not play any part in threads from people who, for whatever reason, are looking at older cars (his would include you not taking verbal potshots at others trying to help)

That would surely make more sense and be easier than changing the forum just to suit you.

Of course another alternative would simply be to leave things as they are and you not play any part in threads from people who, for whatever reason, are looking at older cars (his would include you not taking verbal potshots at others trying to help)

That would surely make more sense and be easier than changing the forum just to suit you.

That would work for me if owners of older cars stopped posting about new cars they have never owned and in many cases criticise simply because of the brand e.g. VAG.

Until that happens I am here to enjoy myself.

That would work for me if owners of older cars stopped posting about new cars they have never owned and in many cases criticise simply because of the brand e.g. VAG.

Why?

But more to the point, how exactly would you see that working?. Someone goes to join the forum but can only do so after filling in an online form stating which vehicles they have owned and how old they were?. And following on from that, how would/could that info then be used to prevent anyone posting about a car they'd never owned?. And following that train of thought further, wouldn't this scheme stop anyone from asking about a car they were thinking about buying (a Caterham perhaps, or a Superb PHEV).

You don't seem to have given this idea much thought have you?

Until that happens I am here to enjoy myself.

Sad that it seems your enjoyment seems to revolve around pointing out to others who have a different opinion to yours how much less intelligent they are than you.