Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - Steveieb

My daughter in laws Y Reg Yaris auto is in need of replacement due to corrosion .

The car has been faultless over the five years she has owned it , passing every single MOT except the last one. What other 23 year old car could claim this ?

Ideally the replacement must be a small hatchback with a Torque Converter auto box or a reliable alternative.

First thoughts are a Mazda 2 but does a Nissan Note have a TC gearbox as these sell for less money? And when did the Yaris move over to the MMT gearbox which had such a bad reputation for reliability ?

Edited by Xileno on 31/10/2023 at 09:14

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - skidpan

Which is it then?

Title says Prius

Thread says Yaris

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - John F

Ideally the replacement must be a small hatchback with a Torque Converter auto box or a reliable alternative.?

Our pre 2020 Peugeot 2008 uses Aisin's reliable TC EAT6 box. Later models use the EAT8.

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - Xileno

OP has confirmed the title should say 'Yaris'. I've updated each post, nothing else changed.

Mod

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - daveyjp

Yaris hybrid is the obvious choice,

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - Adampr

Could we have budget, use pattern and annual mileage please?

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - badbusdriver

First thoughts are a Mazda 2 but does a Nissan Note have a TC gearbox as these sell for less money? And when did the Yaris move over to the MMT gearbox which had such a bad reputation for reliability ?

First gen Nissan Note (2005-2012) uses t/c auto, 2nd gen uses (the infamous) CVT.

2nd gen Yaris (2005-2011) uses the MMT automated manual, 3rd gen onwards uses a (good) CVT. Re reliability, not sure that applies to the MMT, just that they are not very nice to drive. And if they are anything like the similar gearbox used in our recently departed Suzuki Ignis AGS, I can confirm that they are dithering, dim witted and borderline hazardous in certain circumstances!.

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - Steveieb

Thanks everyone.

With a budget of around £5 k the Nissan Note stands out a front runner unless the Yaris MK1 continued to have a TC gearbox up to 2005 ?

Thanks everyone.

With a budget of around £5 k the Nissan Note stands out a front runner unless the Yaris MK1 continued to have a TC gearbox up to 2005 ?

All 1st gen Yaris auto's are t/c, 2nd gen are MMT, 3rd gen onwards are CVT

Also consider the Ford Fusion (1.6*), similar type of car to the Note. We used to have one, great little car and largely ignored. If you can live with its "challenging" looks(!), the Yaris Verso also worth considering if you want a little more space than a Yaris.

*1.6 auto uses a t/c, 1.4 uses the Durashift automated manual.

£5k also gets you into the Kia Venga/Hyundai ix20 pair. And though reliable, they are notoriously thirsty, especially the pre-facelft 4 speed auto which a car of this budget would be.

Replacement for Toyota Yaris Mk 1 auto - gordonbennet

Daihatsu Sirion is a Yaris in a different frock and i am almost certain the auto is a TC.

Left field choice Toyota IQ, i believe that has the CVT box.