Toyota Auris - Used Automatic Cheap Car - Majid Shah

Hi Folks,

I've a budget of 6-7K - I am looking for an automatic car without any problem and cheap to run, insure and maintain but unable to find a good car. I am ok with a hatchback or SUv. not a saloon at the moment.

Thanks

Toyota Auris - Used Automatic Cheap Car - SLO76
At this money it all depends on what’s available nearby. Where roughly will you be looking?
Toyota Auris - Used Automatic Cheap Car - badbusdriver
At this money it all depends on what’s available nearby. Where roughly will you be looking?

Not just that, but also what budget will allow. Thread title is Toyota Auris, usually a very safe bet, but £6-7k (assuming no cat write offs and under 100k miles) is only just enough to get into the earliest 2nd gen Auris auto (a CVT, Multidrive). Which means most the OP will find at that budget will be the first gen car with the single clutch automated manual (Multimode) which should be avoided.

That will also be a problem with the Honda Civic where the OP needs to avoid the i-shift, also a single clutch automated manual and also to be avoided.

Toyota Auris - Used Automatic Cheap Car - SLO76
Too tight a budget to be fussy though. The MMT and I-shift single clutch gearboxes are horrible to use, the gear change is slow and jerky, as with most single clutch automated manuals, but a well cared for example can be reliable. I wouldn’t walk by a nice one to get to a tatty conventional auto, but the OP would need to take a decent test drive in it to see if they could live with the horrible gear change.

A colleague of mine has a 2007 Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel with single clutch automated manual box, it’s horrid to drive and exactly the sort of car I’d typically advise against, but it’s proven reliable until recently when typical elderly French electronic are causing issues.

There won’t be much choice available if the OP must have an auto at less than £6k in the current market. I’d advise begging, borrowing or stealing to up that budget to open up more options. But first we need a search area.
Toyota Auris - Used Automatic Cheap Car - JonestHon

Hi Folks,

I've a budget of 6-7K - I am looking for an automatic car without any problem and cheap to run, insure and maintain but unable to find a good car. I am ok with a hatchback or SUv. not a saloon at the moment.

Thanks

I dont need to point that your budget is tight.

Depending where you live really.

Are you inside or near a ULEZ area?

As other here pointed avoid single clutch auto examples.

If I was you I'd go for a pre 2006 Honda Civic petrol auto in the best condition you can find for about 4k and keep a 3k fund for running the car.

Seems like these are not ULEZ compliant so some nice looking ones from the South east -London area on the autorader site.

If you take my example, I paid 5k in 2021 for a 40k mint Lexus IS250 and it is flawless, the auto box is fantastic and for my needs of less than 5k miles a year the average consumption of 36mpg is not an issue. I Just insured her for £170 and the bill for an intermediate srvicing locally is about £150.

Edited by JonestHon on 29/10/2023 at 08:39