Toyota RAV4 - Used Rav4/Kodiaq or new Karoq - ns23
Hi All

Based on my research, have shortlisted Rav4 (say 2021 model for £27k) and was wondering if instead should go for a new Skoda Karoq.

Use: Mainly city weekend driving; looking for no EV; okay with Mild Hybrid but not a criteria; looking for space to seat 3 in the middle row (say with one car seat); annual mileage 6000-7000 max; prefer Petrol over Diesel (mainly due to odour that wifey cant tolerate)
Toyota RAV4 - Used Rav4/Kodiaq or new Karoq - Adampr

Stating the obvious, you need to drive them.

I have a Karoq and like the way it goes, but my wife hates it. The Karoq is only a five seater, so obviously no middle row. I wouldn't particularly recommend it for three in the back if a car seat is involved. It's a very comfortable car for two in the back, but the middle seat is more of a hump than a seat and there's a reasonable sized tunnel under your feet.

A friend of mine with three kids and a dog drives a Kodiaq and it works well for him. I would probably go for that over the Karoq.

The RAV4 will probably be more reliable than a Skoda (not that Skodas are particularly bad) but the interior will probably not be as nice and the driving experience will be different (which is why you need to drive them).

If you're considering a Kodiaq, the Seat Tarraco is similar and probably cheaper. There is also the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento.

Toyota RAV4 - Used Rav4/Kodiaq or new Karoq - Ian_SW

I don't think the Kodiaq is much wider across the back seats than the Karoq, Rav4 or any other similar car. The difference is that you get a third row so you don't necessarily need to have three across the back - though the Kodiaq is a noticeably big car when it comes to finding parking spaces etc. which could be a nuisance if usage is mostly in town.

The more important difference between the Skodas is whether or not you get a model with "Varioflex" seats (where each seat individually moves back and forwards). If you stagger the seat position, it's possible to gain shoulder room around car seats and make three in the back much more comfortable. As with most useful things in cars, this is only included in the more expensive trim levels - a £27k Karoq is likely to be the SE, you'd need the SE-L trim or above I think which is £30k plus.

I don't think the Kodiaq is much wider across the back seats than the Karoq, Rav4 or any other similar car. The difference is that you get a third row so you don't necessarily need to have three across the back - though the Kodiaq is a noticeably big car when it comes to finding parking spaces etc. which could be a nuisance if usage is mostly in town.

The more important difference between the Skodas is whether or not you get a model with "Varioflex" seats (where each seat individually moves back and forwards). If you stagger the seat position, it's possible to gain shoulder room around car seats and make three in the back much more comfortable. As with most useful things in cars, this is only included in the more expensive trim levels - a £27k Karoq is likely to be the SE, you'd need the SE-L trim or above I think which is £30k plus.

At least in my Karoq, Varioflex means to the seats can be folded, tumbled or removed. If you remove the middle one, you can slide the remaining two inwards to create more shoulder room but they don't go backwards and forwards.

Thabks both
I was hoping yo get a wee bit extra shoulder room from ab RAV4 for seating three, rather a third row of seats from practicality point of view ( running and maintenance cost, parking). Was reviewing 7 seaters but then discarded the idea due to above, especially as second row occupants are likely to be parents (both slim, heights 5 to 5.6.

Any idea on widest 5-seater SUVs, as even a few extra centimetres may help.

If this doesn’t work out, may look to sell and buy a 7-seater SantaFe/Kodiaq then…
Toyota RAV4 - Used Rav4/Kodiaq or new Karoq - RT
Thabks both I was hoping yo get a wee bit extra shoulder room from ab RAV4 for seating three, rather a third row of seats from practicality point of view ( running and maintenance cost, parking). Was reviewing 7 seaters but then discarded the idea due to above, especially as second row occupants are likely to be parents (both slim, heights 5 to 5.6. Any idea on widest 5-seater SUVs, as even a few extra centimetres may help. If this doesn’t work out, may look to sell and buy a 7-seater SantaFe/Kodiaq then…

VW Touareg has the widest 2nd row of any car I've checked out, we regularly take three adults in the back of ours together with large amount of equipment in the boot - usefully wider than Hyundai Santa Fe / Kia Sorento - BUT - it comes with the running costs of a premium SUV, not a budget SUV like Hyundai / Kia / Skoda.

Have you considered something like a Peugeot Rifter? That will give you the space and practicality you're looking for. Maybe not the sexiest on the outside but, given your limited mileage, my inclination in your circumstances would be to go for a well-specced box rather than a lower spec SUV.

Thank you

Would prefer a bit of SUV styling over a van (no logic, just matters of heart/mind). Toureag looks v expensive and may be a different segment all together.

Will put some more research into it though, so thanks for sharing your invaluable thoughts.
Toyota RAV4 - Used Rav4/Kodiaq or new Karoq - badbusdriver

Would prefer a bit of SUV styling over a van (no logic, just matters of heart/mind).

That is fair enough, but you should probably be aware of the reason a car like the Rifter and its kissing cousins might be a better fit for you, given you specifically mention shoulder room. A van based MPV generally will have vertical slab sides, so there will be very little, if any, narrowing of interior width between the level of the seat bases and the top of the seat backs. SUV's, as with most cars, tend to have much more heavily sculpted sides, generally flaring out by quite a lot from the base of the windows. So while the width at the level of the seat bases may be fine, once you get up to the window level and above, there is noticeably less width for shoulders.

So to find an SUV with equivalent shoulder width to the Rifter, you probably have to go up to something the size/segment of the Touareg.

The other problems are that you can't really gauge how much interior width (certainly at shoulder height) there is by the exterior dimensions because of the aforementioned sculpted flanks, but also because you don't know how thick the doors are. And while the brochure for a specific car may tell you the width across the rear seat, its very unlikely to give you the width at shoulder height.

A couple of things you can try though, first is searching for cars with three isofix points on the rear seats. I realise you don't actually need them, but it stands to reason that a car so equipped is going to have either three equal sized rear seats, or that the centre section of the bench is flat rather than "humped". The other thing you can try is simple searching for cars with a wide rear seat. Either way, you are ultimately going to have to look at any car you like the look of to find out if its accommodation will suffice.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/10/2023 at 13:20

Thanks a lot for the detailed response and the ideas to help me narrow my search :)

Will close the loop with my research.
Toyota RAV4 - Used Rav4/Kodiaq or new Karoq - Lee Power

RAV4 currently very high on the thieves hit list & can be taken in under 60 seconds via the CAN invader method, steering wheel locks don't deter the thieves either.

Toyota has a "fix" with security plates to protect the thieves way in but anyone thinking of buying one would be advised to fit additional security in the form of either a Ghost immobiliser OR better fitting a Pandora alarm / immobiliser upgrade.