Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - macbook

Hi,

I'm owner of Honda CR-V 2008 2.0 Petrol Automatic for over a year. I just get on average just a bit over 20mpg and this is a pain in the ar**. This is because I mainly driving on short distances to city, shopping, lots of stops on traffic lighs etc. I am very gentle with gas pedal, but the mpg of this car is very expensive, causing I start thinking to change it.

To the style of my driving (short trips, about 5k miles a year) I thinking that the petrol or diesel hybrid (not plug in) would be the best choice and much more economic.

I start looking with the budget under £10k, petrol or diesel hybrid with auto gearbox. One of my interest would be Lexus CT 200h, but I hope there are some other reliable cars. I like the size of small SUV Peugeot 3008, but read it the EGC gearbox is problematic.

Would you have any suggestions ?

Thank you

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Ethan Edwards

Yes. If you have a dedicated parking space not too far from your Consumer Unit. You can get a BEV version of the Peugeot 3008. Couple that with a EV tarriff from EDF or Octopus etc and you'll get super cheap motoring. Under 3pence per mile. Mines at 1.179p per mile. For my Mokka-e. Budget...if you could stretch that to 15 by financing the difference. You'd get independence from volatile fuel prices from ME punch ups. Your usage pattern suggests an ideal candidate for BEV.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 25/10/2023 at 16:17

Thank you, will follow it.

So I would need to install the charger on the wall ? I have driveway parking, but I'm renting, so not sure how it would be. How much cost installing the wall charger ?

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - DavidGlos
How far do you drive each year? 20mpg isn’t great, but if you’re only covering perhaps 5,000 miles or less, then you’re going to have to spend a considerable sum to make a small saving on fuel costs. Would have thought your Honda will be pretty reliable and trustworthy, so I’d stick with it.

Earlier I had a few motorway trips, so the mpg was around 27,from a few months just a very short trips to the city each day, so the mpg drops to 20. The car is reliable, but I have to invest over £1k in it (new second hand diamond cut rims - £250, new tyres - £500, fixed AC compressor - £300, changed all fluids, fitters, spark plugs, new serpentine belt - around £250), and few other small repairs. So I made the car to the tip top condition now, just the mpg start annoying me a lot.

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - gordonbennet

Town driving is always heavy on fuel in a standard petrol vehicle, auto being worse in the main, some autos can be better on fuel for some drivers but those types of autos tend to be made of cheese and any fuel gains soon wiped out if the box goes faulty.

Yes you would get better fuel figures in a hybrid, personally i'd only go for a Toyota hybrid because every taxi driver and his dog can't be wrong about durability, unfortunately because every taxi driver and his dog wants one the used values are very high.

Given your low mileage and town driving a hybrid would be perfect, but the cost to change will be high and would buy a lot of petrol for your present car, which appears to be reliable and you've already spent money on it fixing it with smart wheels etc, your present car is also one of the most reliable cars you could buy.

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Ethan Edwards

Fitting a EV charger..anything from 400 to 1500. Mine was at the upper end as I needed a new Consumer Unit too. If you're renting this is really a conversation you'd need to have with the landlord. Using a plug in granny charger you'd only add maybe 30m range charging all night. But fitting costs would be zero, but they're not a great option.

So to make up really work you need a home charger.

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - De Sisti

Hi,

I'm owner of Honda CR-V 2008 2.0 Petrol Automatic for over a year. I just get on average just a bit over 20mpg

Your mpg isn't so far away from the 25.9 mpg suggested by Honda.

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Steveieb

The peerless reliability counter balances the high fuel consumption.

I presume the car has been fault free ?

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - SLO76
What sort of usage will it see? Is it mostly short distance in town/city driving or do you regularly travel more than 60/70 miles away? Do you have off-street parking?
Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Ian_SW

It's worth noting that even with "self charging" hybrids, which is the most efficient you'll get from petrol power, MPG is still low on very short journeys.

On a 2 mile journey, starting from cold I'm lucky to get more than 30mpg in winter out of the Toyota 1.8 hybrid system as the engine still has to warm up like in any other car. The Ioniq hybrid hire car I've got today did no better.

On a 5 mile urban journey, starting from cold, mpg will be 50+

Drive around town all day like many taxi drivers do and you can see 70mpg.

A pure electric car doesn't need to "warm up" in the same sense (other than warming the inside of the car to make the driver and passengers comfortable) so doesn't see the same drop off in efficiency on very short journeys.

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Heidfirst

One of my interest would be Lexus CT 200h,

bear in mind that the CT200h is a glorified Auris hybrid (& some would say not as good as the facelifted Auris) - there will also be a lot more of those to choose from .

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Engineer Andy

One of my interest would be Lexus CT 200h,

bear in mind that the CT200h is a glorified Auris hybrid (& some would say not as good as the facelifted Auris) - there will also be a lot more of those to choose from .

...and will probably be cheaper than the Lexus, though their budget might limit them to cars well past their prime, given how (overly) expensive cars are at the moment.

Petrol / Diesel Hybrid - Lee Power

Lexus CT 200h is targeted by cat thieves along with the Auris hybrid, avoid both if you want a stress free life.

Thanks all, thread can be closed. I get convinced to keep my CRV.