Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - DavidGlos
Not very scientific, but I thought this was interesting. My wife’s ‘dirty’ 2011 Golf 2.0 TDI diesel has just passed its MOT and has 105,000 miles on the clock. It meets Euro 5 emissions regs, so should we venture to London or other urban centres in it, we’d likely have to fork out for some sort of ULEZ charge. It has a DPF which appears to be serving its intended function, as wiping a finger inside the end of the exhaust doesn’t result in a mucky/sooty finger.

My 2020 ‘clean’ Kuga 2.5 PHEV with a petrol engine and plug in hybrid capability is Euro 6 and deemed sufficiently clean to dodge any ULEZ money grabs. However, if I run my finger round the end of the exhaust, it comes out covered in soot! Clearly it doesn’t have any form of petrol GPF and it shows! I guess the idea is that the battery is charged and used for urban running to improve local air quality, but I was surprised quite how much filth was lining the exhaust pipe.

Edited by DavidGlos on 23/10/2023 at 21:10

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - gordonbennet

Not always as clear cut as that, so many tail pipes are false, decorative bits of shiny chrome that no actual exhaust gases pass through, if you get under the back of some cars you find the exhaust ends in a downward exit and the straight exit(s) you see and feel is/are actually blank and only for image puposes.

Not saying thats the case with your Golf, which sounds like its doing its job well...but never let reality get in the way of wealth transfer into the collander which is the state's finances.

Another one is our 15 year old petrol/lpg Forester, which had a new stainless system some 4 years ago, the tail pipe is as you describe spotlessly clean inside for as far as you can see, doesn't stop us paying £600+ VED penalty mind :-)

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - edlithgow

Isnt VED based on CO2 emission, rather than how sooty your tail pipe is?

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - craig-pd130

I had several turbodiesels as company cars, spanning the pre- and post-DPF eras. My old 2003 Passat PD130 used to have a very sooty tailpipe (no DPF). That was replaced by a 2008 2 litre Mondeo (very clean pipe, had a DPF). Then two Volvos (both very clean).

Our 2015 1.4 petrol Corsa's tailpipe is always spotlessly clean inside.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - Andrew-T

I had several turbodiesels as company cars, spanning the pre- and post-DPF eras. My old 2003 Passat PD130 used to have a very sooty tailpipe (no DPF).

That soot in the tailpipe was why it lasted the life of the car ....

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - bathtub tom

I recall how years ago, many petrol cars would have a light grey colour inside the tail pipe - mine never was. I wondered if it was down to leaded petrol and being driven hard?

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - gordonbennet

I recall how years ago, many petrol cars would have a light grey colour inside the tail pipe - mine never was. I wondered if it was down to leaded petrol and being driven hard?

If you recall any that were light grey were usually running very well, it was something i always looked for back in the day of used car buying, those with sooty exhausts were normally running poorly.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - madf

I polish mine weekly.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - veloceman
I thought all petrol cars had a PPF fitted from Sept ‘18?
Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - madf

It was lead from leaded petrol

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - Andrew-T

It was lead from leaded petrol

Strictly speaking it was lead oxide (there are several). The plug points could be yellowish pink if the engine didn't burn much oil.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - John F

Which one? The Audi has four, two of which have flaps which only open above, ahem, certain engine speeds and throttle settings. The TR7 has just the one. All five are slightly sooty (I've just been in the garage to finger-wipe). Somehat absurdly both cars, average age 30yrs, are ULEZ entry free.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - Falkirk Bairn

No fines in Central London for a old Tank

To be more exact an almost 60 years old Abbott Self Propelled Gun

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tank-rides-london-dodges...l

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - edlithgow

No fines in Central London for a old Tank

To be more exact an almost 60 years old Abbott Self Propelled Gun

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tank-rides-london-dodges...l

Think those were multi-fuel, so petrol, diesel, kerosene all ok.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - kiss (keep it simple)

I think direct injection petrol engines produce soot, which is our My 2012 Mazda has a sooty exhaust. Our 2012 Polo doesn't have DI and the pipe is clean. Presumably particulate filters will stop the soot.

Any - How clean is your exhaust tailpipe?! - skidpan

I thought all petrol cars had a PPF fitted from Sept ‘18?

That initially only applied to engines fitted with DI engines. One of the reasons we were happy getting the Suzuki Celerio for the wifes uncle was the simple fact that despite being registered in December 2018 it did not have a PPF since it did not have DI.

Some Toyota hybrids did not have PPF's either since not only did they not have DI the Atkinson Cycle engine they were fitted with also had different rules. The 2020 Corolla 2.0 we test drove had no PPF.

Having said all that not 100% sure if the Yaris the wife has on order has a PPF. Its not DI and its Atkinson but seen it written that some markets have a PPF whereas others don't. No info on any Toyota sites.