Tyre noise - veloceman
I know I’m going to get a ‘What did you expect’ for this but here goes!

Just bought a 3mth old BMW 128ti on 19 inch wheels. Tyre noise and ride is terrible.
Had a M135i previously with the same wheels and had no issues.
Currently on Bridgestone Potenzas and I’m thinking of swapping out to Honest Johns favourite Michelin Cross Climates. Some forums suggest Pilot Sports will improve it too.
Wondering if anyone has cured a similar problem with a simple tyre swap and which tyre did you use.
Need to be fairly confident before I put my hand in my pocket.
Tyre noise - badbusdriver

No direct experience on comparing one to the other, but in the 2022 Autoexpress tyre test for all season tyres, the outright winner was the Hankook Kinergy 4S2. But it also happened to win the individual category of interior noise (Michelin CC was last out of 7). No category for ride unfortunately, but with tyres that size you are probably on a hiding to nothing!.

I'm sure there will be differences in ride comfort between various brands, but I wouldn't expect them to be very big. Because the bottom line is that a tyre of that size on a high performance car, necessarily, has to be stiff. What is the profile?, 35?

But maybe a BMW forum would be more help as, presumably, there will be a greater chance of finding owners who have found the best compromise?

Tyre noise - veloceman
Thank you, Yes they are 35s.
Looked at BMW forums and it appears most tyres are an improvement over the Bridgestones.
A couple have reported Michelin Pilot PS4 as a ‘Night and day’ difference but not conclusive.
Due to potential outlay I’m trying to get as much info as possible.
Even more interesting is that local tyre fitters have no recommendations.
I guess it’s a personal thing and possibly a deterioration with my hearing isn’t helping.
Tyre noise - gordonbennet

Whilst the ride won't improve much, seriously there can't be much sidewall flex in a 35 or even 30 aspect tyre, it might be possible to do some much better value sound reduction by soundproofing.

Some years ago i did this to the family Aygo, it made a massive difference to noise and yes i know there's no comparison.

From the bay of E i bought probably 20 or so (probably need more for your car) large self adhesive soundproofing pads, these were around 12" square and probably 1/4" thick, using imperial should upset the europhiles :-) , i cut these to size and shape where necessary.

First thing to do is source where the worst of the noise comes from, you might find blanking off say the whole rear end and rear wheelarches reduces noise considerably, same with under the rear seat, if it does remove all the interior cladding and apply these pads to the bare painted metal around wheelarches inner rear quater panels the whole of the boot, under the rear seat etc...those areas are fairly easy to get to on most cars, if iit works also consider inside the door skins under the carpets inner sills bullkhead and front inner wheel arches where they are inside the cabin.

Could be worth experimenting with several duvets and blankets placed about to see if this is a goer, circa £50/70 and a days work against probably £600/800 for new tyres.

Tyre wise, the worst car we owned for ride and noise was a Citroen C2 VTS, sat on 45 aspect tyres with concrete springs, it came in Michelin Pilote tyres, slung those and fitted Vredestein Sportracs, improved both noise and stopped the nasty torque steer but short of swapping out the springs and shocks there wasn't much could be done for the awful ride.

Now you've confirmed 35 aspect, i once got picked up by a friend in his Golf GTD sat on 35's, the noise and ride it could easily have had no springs at all in a bare racing shell.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/10/2023 at 11:38

Tyre noise - Andrew-T

First thing to do is source where the worst of the noise comes from, you might find blanking off say the whole rear end and rear wheelarches reduces noise considerably, same with under the rear seat, if it does remove all the interior cladding and apply these pads to the bare painted metal around wheelarches inner rear quater panels the whole of the boot, under the rear seat etc...

If one follows this advice, is there any downside with the chance of moisture collecting between paintwork and the cladding ? Condensation ?

Tyre noise - mcb100
The Pilot Sports may be quieter, but being a tyre from the performance end of Michelin’s range I’d imagine they’ve got quite a stiff sidewall, which won’t be good for comfort.
Tyre noise - Engineer Andy
I know I’m going to get a ‘What did you expect’ for this but here goes! Just bought a 3mth old BMW 128ti on 19 inch wheels. Tyre noise and ride is terrible. Had a M135i previously with the same wheels and had no issues. Currently on Bridgestone Potenzas and I’m thinking of swapping out to Honest Johns favourite Michelin Cross Climates. Some forums suggest Pilot Sports will improve it too. Wondering if anyone has cured a similar problem with a simple tyre swap and which tyre did you use. Need to be fairly confident before I put my hand in my pocket.

The key is to look at both tyre group tests for comparative vehicle / tyre size combos AND real-life user reviews for your make / model or similar cars with similar sized tyres and driving styles / usage patterns.

What may work well on one car that at first galnce is similar may not on another - even in the same range. Don't rush into a decision, given a bad one could end up costing you several £000s at the very least, given second hand tyres have a high depreceiation in value.

Wondering also if your car has to use run flats, which puts it at a disadvantage straight away, given they are already noisier tyres due to the extra stifness, plus the very low profile.

BTW you might (if not done so already) want to check the cold tyre pressures and whetherther the seller left those 'blocks' on the suspension when transporting the car before you bought it, first, just in case. I've heard stories here and elsewhere of the tyre pressures being way out of whack and those blocks left, making the driving experience terrible.

Interesting point about the runflats.

Son bought a used 325i estate from Evans Halshaw, 06 plate cars probably 6 years old at the time, they MOT'd it before delivery and decided to fit new tyres (runflats) at the same time, he wondered about asking them if could contribute to a premium brand fully expecting some unheard of make to be fitted otherwise but before he could get in touch the deed was done at EH's sole expense.

It arrived shod on brand new runflat Firestones, so whilst not maybe regarded as a premium make certainly better than expected, they proved to be an excellent tyre all round, during the winter he removed the winter tyres and refitted those Firestones because the warmer days wet grip of the winters wasn't up to scratch...something i've found too with some full winters.

Full marks to EH by the way, a very positive experience dealing with them.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/10/2023 at 12:50

Tyre noise - veloceman
Certainly not runflats. Had them previously and didn’t find them too bad.
Tyre pressures is the obvious one will check that Doh!
Assumed BMW would get it right!
Admittedly I didn’t test drive this one, I did the demo which was also 3mth old and the same spec.
The demo certainly didn’t feel like mine.
Tyre noise - veloceman
Ok feel a bit of a fool now. Thanks for the nudge.
If you’ve tried everything else check the obvious stuff.
Turns out they 46psi all round. Certainly a transformation now.
So much for main dealer expertise.
Thanks all for you comments and suggestions - I thought you’d give me a harder time than you did! :-)

46psi! it must have been like driving a tea trolley, hope they got a different bod to service the thing.

Tyre noise - focussed

46psi! it must have been like driving a tea trolley, hope they got a different bod to service the thing.

The hopefully skilled bod who does the service in the average largish dealership doesn't do tyre checks. That's usually done by the bloke around the back who washes it after the service.

Hence the overpressures -my local Honda dealer in France is the same every service, the tyres are pressured at 2.8 bar which is about 40 psi - should be 34 psi.

Ok feel a bit of a fool now. Thanks for the nudge. If you’ve tried everything else check the obvious stuff. Turns out they 46psi all round. Certainly a transformation now. So much for main dealer expertise. Thanks all for you comments and suggestions - I thought you’d give me a harder time than you did! :-)

Glad to be of service! You've hopefully saved yourself a packet of money there needlessly buying replacements. I've seen tyre fitters do the same, not properly checking the recommended pressures on the door plate.

Tyre noise - veloceman
I did indeed.
Not sure whether I should be surprised or not but tyre fitters, national and indie seem to have no idea of the performance of the product they sell.
Tyre noise - Adampr
Ok feel a bit of a fool now. Thanks for the nudge. If you’ve tried everything else check the obvious stuff. Turns out they 46psi all round. Certainly a transformation now. So much for main dealer expertise. Thanks all for you comments and suggestions - I thought you’d give me a harder time than you did! :-)

Glad to be of service! You've hopefully saved yourself a packet of money there needlessly buying replacements. I've seen tyre fitters do the same, not properly checking the recommended pressures on the door plate.

Not checking the door plate is one thing, overinflating them (all) by 50% is criminal. Why would anyone do that?

Not checking the door plate is one thing, overinflating them (all) by 50% is criminal. Why would anyone do that?

They might've looked at the door plate but misread the maximum (fully laden) tyre pressure for the 'normal' one. That being said, such people should know better and not do it.

Or perhaps they get put to higher pressures if they get put on a car transporter lorry to make getting them on/off easier and to avoid flatspotting if left around in car parks or on a forcourt for weeks, even months before moving them.

Just a guess.

Tyre noise - DavidGlos
Slight thread drift…

Veloceman- how are you finding the four pot 128ti after the joys of a straight six? Do you miss the sound?