Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - Coldste

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. So I’m finally learning to drive and I’m looking at getting my first car sometime this year. However I’m running into brick walls when it comes finding the right car. I’m learning to drive automatic (I find manual too hard) and I’m looking at all the dealerships websites in my area and all I’m finding is mainly manual cars. What automatic cars some do have are either old like 2005 plates or they’re 100k+ on mileage.

I know exactly what car I’m after a BMW 1 series, petrol or diesel, looked various models on autotrader and did insurance checks so to get a rough idea and I can afford it, since some of the BMW quotes were either similar or the same price as non BMW’s. Me sister bought her car from an independent dealer and me mum who was with her said me son’s looking at getting a car soon, they said “well when the time comes tell him to come down and we’ll look after him” So if I was to go to a independent dealership, do you think they could source a car since I know exactly what I’m looking for?

Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - badbusdriver

I know exactly what car I’m after a BMW 1 series, petrol or diesel,

Oh dear!

Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - elekie&a/c doctor
As a first car , the bmw 1 series is exactly what you don’t want . Keep it simple. No diesels , for a start .
Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - Theophilus

... and don't forget to check insurance quotes for a new driver in a BMW

Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - leef

I know exactly what car I’m after a BMW 1 series, petrol or diesel,

Oh dear!

We were all young once and wanted what we persieved as a great 'cool' car. I got an XR3i as a first car much against my dads advise who had an M reg proton 1.3 that lasted him forever and over 200,000 on the clock from new. My XR3i broke down every week.

A properly maintained serviced car shouldn't have to many issues. High miles and thrashed is where the issues will flooding in ££££. I was told when ~I bought my 2013 Pug 3008 1.6 Diesel that eveything would break on it, avoid etc etc. Bought a low miles fully serviced one, 110,000 on the clock a few years later, still running perfectly, no issues. You can get unlucky, but good servicing and not driving like ***k you should be fairly trouble free unless theres masive build faults in the car. Good luck with your BMW, just try and get a decent one.

Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - Ian_SW

Unless you live somewhere very remote, there should be plenty of automatic BMW 1 series available - they're not an unusual car.

Autotrader currently has 3725 listed, ranging from £500 to £50000.

Echoing comments of other posters, if you're hoping to spend less than about £10k on one, it's best not to as you're mostly paying for the badge and will end up with a old car with old car problems which are more expensive to fix because its a "premium" brand. A £10k or less Kia, Toyota, Ford etc will be much newer for same money.

If you're planning to buy something only a few years old and have the money to do so, the least powerful engine variants shouldn't be too bad on insurance even for a new driver. A 2019 model with sensible mileage will set you back ar least £15k though.

Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - SLO76
Hold your horses! Do not buy a cheap BMW. Give us a search area, a budget and your basic requirements and we’ll look for a few options local to you. A cheap BM would be a total liability to someone on a tight budget, it’s one of the worst options you could go for.
Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - Gibbo_Wirral

Yes, they "could" source a car if they wanted to or had good customer service and / or the time.

But why rely on them - just tailor your autotrader and ebay searches to dealers only if you don't want to buy private and then go and have a look.

Can an independent car dealer find you a car? - pd

BMWs are not expensive to fix because there is anything premium about them. They are much the same as anything else and there are loads of third party options and solutions.

However, old BMWs are a labour of love. They don't take age all that well sometimes and are nowhere near as robust as some might think.

If you accept they'll need regular fixing and you'll need to be a bit of an enthusiast who does some things themselves and researches solutions fine but if you just want something to jump in and drive without niggles they are not a very good choice.