The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Discuss any issue relating to EVs

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 1. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found here (none yet)

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 15/10/2023 at 08:58

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Ethan Edwards

Good idea , I'd like to tell you of the many woes I've had over two years of ownership of a Fiat 500e and a Mokka-e. But there haven't been any.

The whole ownership experience has been flawless.

Admittedly I am fortunate enough to be able to home charge with a super cheap window of power every night. 4.5p per kw.

I did get a puncture (four) in the Mokka a month ago, had to buy a new tyre. But hard to claim it wouldn't have happened if I'd bought a petrol version.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - edlithgow

Not sure if this has been posted before.

ttps://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/300983140/driver-trapped-inside-ev-as-it-drove-itself-during-brake-malfunction

Driver 'trapped' inside EV as it drove itself during brake malfunction

Trapped seems a bit misleading, since there is no mention of the doors being locked, (though electric-only door lock-in incidents are reported for some models. Tesla have a mechanical override)

Sounds like it could be a self driving malfunction, or it was just "stuck".

This isnt all that different to the unintended acceleration incidents reported for Lexus maybe a decade (?) or so ago, so it isnt necessarily an exclusively EV issue, but it probably is a "drive by wire" issue

tw.forumosa.com/t/fatal-flooring-how-come/53993

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - mickyh7

They can't come to much harm when they are all queuing up waiting for chargers in the service stations!

I read there is a thing called Queue Rage now? Which require security staff during busy periods.

This Country couldn't find its a*** from its elbow! Never mind supplying enough chargers to go around.

EVs - more like Betamax players!

Queue rage is about 90 to 95% FUD 90% of owners never use public chargers, and those that do plan usage. So they'll have alternative A , alternative B etc in hand using one of the many Apps to locate them. There will always be newbe's and just plain planks who do neither. If people are queueing for hours it's because they cannot be bothered to seek alternatives or they really want to sit there.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - misar

90% of owners never use public chargers, and those that do plan usage.

Like many ICE drivers I would be limited to public chargers only. You are not encouraging me to go electric any time soon.

If you cannot home charge don't bother then.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - mcb100
Exactly this ??.
The longest I’ve ever waited for a public charger is 10 minutes. If you’ve a bank of 6/8/10 chargers, and people are only plugged in 20/30 minutes you’d be pretty unlucky if everyone on a charger had arrived at the same time. There’s always someone on the move shortly.
The queues tend to happen at Tesla Supercharger sites, to which Tesla drivers invariably head despite the fact that they can also use the other 88% of the rapid chargers in the UK.
The biggest selling brand of cars all seeming to head for 12% of the network.
That’s where the stories came from last winter.
The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Andrew-T
The longest I’ve ever waited for a public charger is 10 minutes. If you’ve a bank of 6/8/10 chargers, and people are only plugged in 20/30 minutes you’d be pretty unlucky if everyone on a charger had arrived at the same time.

Yes, I know this could be a lot worse, but the fact remains that the whole arrangement compares unfavourably with a petrol filling station, both in waiting time and filling (=charging) time. Some (not all) of that should improve as coverage imcreases, but it must be a major reason for some drivers staying with ICE.

The longest I’ve ever waited for a public charger is 10 minutes. If you’ve a bank of 6/8/10 chargers, and people are only plugged in 20/30 minutes you’d be pretty unlucky if everyone on a charger had arrived at the same time.

Yes, I know this could be a lot worse, but the fact remains that the whole arrangement compares unfavourably with a petrol filling station, both in waiting time and filling (=charging) time. Some (not all) of that should improve as coverage imcreases, but it must be a major reason for some drivers staying with ICE.

Really so you've never had to wait at the pump whilst someone is doing their weekly shop at the garage shop? Whilst they didly bop about before starting up and moving on? Even queued for the pump? Lucky you, cos I have. EV compares extremely favourably compared to that.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - alan1302

Really so you've never had to wait at the pump whilst someone is doing their weekly shop at the garage shop? Whilst they didly bop about before starting up and moving on? Even queued for the pump? Lucky you, cos I have. EV compares extremely favourably compared to that.

I've never had to wait more that a few minutes for filling up and filling up only takes a few minutes when started. At the moment the charging time and any associated waits are an issue for a lot of people and should not just be dismissed. Faster charging will come but is a way off at the moment.

Yes but let's not pretend a visit to a garage takes 15 seconds and adds a thousand miles. Every time its at least ten minutes, and it was twice a week for me.

Compared to get home plug in (15 seconds) go into house. Go to garage in the morning unplug and drive off another 15 seconds.

If you don't need public charging it compares very favourably.

Now let's discuss 250 quid a month on unleaded versus pennies...

Yes but let's not pretend a visit to a garage takes 15 seconds and adds a thousand miles. Every time its at least ten minutes, and it was twice a week for me.

If you fill up twice and can do 1,000 miles on it - does not seem bad for 20 mins of your time.

Obviously an EV suits you - it suits be during the week - but at the weekend it starts falling down due to the low range on the type of car I need. Citroen Berlingo/Vauxhall Combo size cars are only getting 170 mile ranges so if I use it for a trip out at the weekend I'd need a lengthy stop somewhere...and the stop would need to have wheelchair access. Seems a lot of hassle...now in the future when they are able to do more miles...then I can see it working for what we need.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - barney100

Suppose if you don't very far and have a home charger the EV would be good. Many though will have some long trips and need to use public chargers. To discuss the fuel V electric the ice car was a few thousand pounds start and mitigates any savings. I am not anti EV indeed if the price charging and range could be improved...alot...then I would have one.

<< ... so you've never had to wait at the pump whilst someone is doing their weekly shop at the garage ? Whilst they didly bop about before starting up and moving on? Even queued for the pump? >>

That is a complete non-argument, as your scenario is just as likely at both kinds of station. Until EVs have a method of fully charging in under 5 minutes, that will always take longer than an ICE car. And while charging points are still rather scarce, the chance of finding a free one is lower than at a filling station.

I don't know whether charging stations typically have a shop attached, but if they do, weekly shoppers are also likely - especially as they know their car may be there for 20-30 minutes !!

Agreed that those who can charge at home avoid this problem, and also get cheap 'fuel' while present rates last. But those who can't do that will suffer as described above.

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/10/2023 at 09:36

Nope I have yet to find anyone blocking my home charger when I need it.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - HGV ~ P Valentine

Yes I heard the same thing, they are now going to start charge a waiting time for anyone who stays on the charger after it has finished. I also read, that they will start charging the same when the batteries are at 50% charge, or there abouts.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Adampr

Not sure if this has been posted before.

ttps://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/300983140/driver-trapped-inside-ev-as-it-drove-itself-during-brake-malfunction

Driver 'trapped' inside EV as it drove itself during brake malfunction

Trapped seems a bit misleading, since there is no mention of the doors being locked, (though electric-only door lock-in incidents are reported for some models. Tesla have a mechanical override)

Sounds like it could be a self driving malfunction, or it was just "stuck".

This isnt all that different to the unintended acceleration incidents reported for Lexus maybe a decade (?) or so ago, so it isnt necessarily an exclusively EV issue, but it probably is a "drive by wire" issue

tw.forumosa.com/t/fatal-flooring-how-come/53993

It was posted the other day.

I'll say nothing other than that there is a debate on the MG EV forum for anyone interested.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - HGV ~ P Valentine

I think trapped is a good word as you would not jump out of a moving car, or would you ?

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Bromptonaut

I think trapped is a good word as you would not jump out of a moving car, or would you ?

How fast was it moving?

Do any of us actually know the full facts about it?

Depends on what speed it was going

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Xileno

JonestHon wrote:

We are in a town in the South West, Tesco has three pods a d that's about it for a public charging infrastructure in October 2023.

Due to this being a medieval market town the bulk of the 15k populus will not have off-street parking and therefore nowhere to charge.

It's a chicken and egg situation, im sure many would have bought into BEV (we are a wealthy place) but when planning is so tight it will be mostly people living in new estate on the outskirt who will do so.

I've hidden posts querying the moderation and had to manually type in JonestHon's post as when you hide a post it hides all following ones as well.

I will deal with the issues raised later today when I have time, in another thread.

Mod

‘ Yes, I know this could be a lot worse, but the fact remains that the whole arrangement compares unfavourably with a petrol filling station, both in waiting time and filling (=charging) time. Some (not all) of that should improve as coverage imcreases, but it must be a major reason for some drivers staying with ICE.’

It’ll become an inconvenience when I can take on food and drink intravenously and can perform other bodily functions whilst on the move.
It’ll become an inconvenience when I can take on food and drink intravenously and can perform other bodily functions whilst on the move.

I'd rather not go there .... :-)

Tesla Model X £9000. - EV insurance - Maxime.

Yes £9000.

CRAZY

Article in the Daily mail.

Can be found in the online version in the Money section.

Tesla Model X £9000. - EV insurance - Bromptonaut

Yes £9000.

CRAZY

Article in the Daily mail.

Can be found in the online version in the Money section.

The article in the Mail is presumably this one:

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-12604851/Th...l?

Read in full it seems to say the current insurer, LV, quoting for renewal doubled the premium to £2,000. That's still a helluva lot even for somebody living, as the report suggests in London. LV, when asked to explain, quote the usual stuff about higher repair costs in terms of parts/labour and wait time due to lack of workshops qualified to deal with EVs.

The £9,000 headline figure is amongst those offered when the owner sought other quotes on line.

Tesla Model X £9000. - EV insurance - Bolt

Someone correct if wrong but gather when the chassis is partly damaged on a tesla the car is written off, its bonded to the body panels whereas on a standard car bits can be cut and rebuilt

Maybe someone does it, already,but Ive not seen it though car was built to stand a fair bit of force and for keeping production costs low...

Tesla Model X £9000. - EV insurance - madf

Someone correct if wrong but gather when the chassis is partly damaged on a tesla the car is written off, its bonded to the body panels whereas on a standard car bits can be cut and rebuilt

Maybe someone does it, already,but Ive not seen it though car was built to stand a fair bit of force and for keeping production costs low...

Yes and the glue bond is stronger than the bonded materials so separating them without damage is virtually impossible.

But Musk has designed ALL Teslas like that - basically to be unrepairable hence no need to supply low selling parts - so the aftersales market - eg service and repair - is basically consumables. Far simpler and much more profitable.

Tesla Model X £9000. - EV insurance - Maxime.

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-12604851/Th...l?

The £9,000 headline figure is amongst those offered when the owner sought other quotes on line.

Is that not a way of saying we don't want your business?

Title - this probably implies an Electric vehicle, but I guess it could be an Eclectic one, which suggests interesting possibilities .... :-)

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Maxime.

Title - this probably implies an Electric vehicle, but I guess it could be an Eclectic one, which suggests interesting possibilities .... :-)

Other possibility Erotic vehicle... Eccentric?

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Terry W

There will be those who read about £9k insurance and reinforce their negative views of EVs.

Sunday times has an article on EV insurance comparing petrol and EV insurance for some common reasonably comparable vehicles - overall EV insurance is 13% more expensive on new cars which are 81% more expensive.

All depends whether one wants to look at reality or selectively at the Daily Mail - not normally associated with objective and balanced at the best of times. In this case - just garbage.

Only just realised what you both are on about... now corrected in subject header.

The latest figures are out for the public charging infrastructure (not counting the estimated 680,000 home and work chargers) -
Overall it’s now 49,882 in total, an increase of 1432 in the month.
It’s also a 43% increase since September 2022.
Proportionally the biggest increase was in fast chargers (7-22kW), used in kerbside locations and car parks. Typically known as ‘destination chargers’, they’d be used once you’ve arrived somewhere.
194 new rapid and ultra rapid charger were installed last month, an increase of 68% since this time last year.
It’s big numbers, and just think what could happen if the government were interested…

Over 50% of homes are detached, semi or bungalow. Exceptions not having offroad charging capability are probably balanced by newer apartments which may have dedicated residents parking. This ignores employer provided and other easy charging opportunities.

Owners of new EVs are likely to be better off, and more likely to have access to offroad charging in larger more expensive houses. Those in terraced or flats are more likely to be urban with generally lower car ownership, and less well off.

These generalities are not intended to offend - the same would likely be true of owners of new or nearly new ICE.

With a maximum range of (say) 250 miles and a safe range of (say) 150 miles (winter), an average mileage of 9000 pa (average 175 miles a week) would need a charge once or twice a week. For the 50%+ with access to offroad charging this is no problem.

I can only assume users of m/way chargers are those who typically travel large distances, those whose companies pick up the bills, and the infrequent normal motorist on an occasional long trip needing to charge away from home.

Personalising it a little - I drive ~15k pa. 10-15 journeys a year in the UK where I would need to charge away from home. Sometimes a European trip eg: southern Spain.

Rationally I could probably cope - it just needs a little planning. With PVs on the roof I could cut my fuel costs to zero for all but the occasional longer journey.

But would I buy an EV - if changing my car next week, probably no. If changing in 3 years time I suspect the answer is yes. Irrational - probably - a mild form of range anxiety.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - craig-pd130

Youtuber Matt @ High Peak Autos does a 600 mile road trip in an Audi e-tron. It's an interesting watch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEQ38Net0A

I’ve not watched it all the way through but I’ve skimmed enough to get the gist.

If it was his Audi, he’d know that there’s an Audi charge card supplied with the car that, once paired to the VIN and payment details added, will give access to 500,000 charges throughout Europe with either just the tap of an RFID card or a button push on the app.
And a basically half price charge at IONITY because that network is owned by a consortium of car manufacturers.

I’m going Oldham-Stoke-Doncaster today in an electric Genesis G80. It’s not fully charged as I don’t have charging at home and I drove it back from Doncaster yesterday. I’ll have to charge it twice - once before someone else drives it, and again before it goes back. In both instances I know where I’m going, i can see the chargers are working and I’m expecting a regular day. Much like the thousands of others who do big daily mileages in an EV.
It’d make a fairly boring YouTube video, to be honest.
The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - craig-pd130
I’ve not watched it all the way through but I’ve skimmed enough to get the gist. If it was his Audi, he’d know that there’s an Audi charge card supplied with the car that, once paired to the VIN and payment details added, will give access to 500,000 charges throughout Europe with either just the tap of an RFID card or a button push on the app.

He omits to mention that, but his main points were:

- several of the charging points shown on the car's maps for the route were out of order when he got to them. Why this wasn't signalled via the car's maps wasn't explored.

- when he did find working charging points they were occupied, meaning he had to wait over 30 minutes before he could even connect

- when he tried to connect, the charging point display told him that contactless payments were disabled and he had to download the appropriate app, which is a faff

I did see the bit where he’d arrived at IONITY to discover they were all full. He says something along the lines of having to wait an hour for a charger then charge for an hour.
Then the caption says ‘10 minutes later’ and he’s plugging in.
The Audi will charge 5-80% in under half an hour, and then he says he’s got 48 miles to go but 200+ miles range. So he could have got away with probably a 10 minute charge. So a 20 minute stop.

There are any number of consolidation apps which will give access to multiple charge networks for one initial set up.

For a progress report, I’m now plugged into an Instavolt in a Costa car park. I’ve done 57 miles and the range has dropped from 227 to 196. The car is saying 11 minutes to 80% charge on a 120kW charger.
21 minutes of charge and I’m at 258 miles range (it wouldn’t charge at the full 120kW as it was probably two thirds charged as I plugged in).

Edited by mcb100 on 10/10/2023 at 11:12

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - SLO76
One question that lurks on my mind regarding buying used EV’s is how does leaving one on a dealer forecourt uncharged for weeks or months affect the battery pack? I’ve been watching a local dealer who’s had several sub £5,000 Leaf’s sat in his yard for months now unused - with a view of making a cheeky trade offer. Now if I leave an old iPhone or iPod or my sons now broken electric scooter uncharged for months it tends to ruin the battery, since electric car battery packs are based on similar tech scaled up surely any used examples that’ve sat unused for a long time could be written-off by battery pack failure?

Youtuber Matt @ High Peak Autos does a 600 mile road trip in an Audi e-tron. It's an interesting watch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEQ38Net0A

Yet to watch it but I’m a fan of Matt @ High Peak Autos, he’s very knowledgeable and always a good watch. From the comments I’m assuming the usual faff when using our flawed public charging network? Again, I don’t think expensive EV’s like this make any real economic sense for anyone paying for a car themselves in absence of a company car allowance or relevant tax payer funded perks. A used sub £15k Nissan Leaf or Hyundai Iconiq can make a very sensible commuter or second car as long as you have the ability to charge it at home and you’re not reliant on public charging, either subsidised or the grotesquely overpriced privately run fast chargers found at service stations and shopping centres. Ours runs SWMBO’s daily commute plus running about for two days then it’s recharged on low rate electricity overnight on the drive, it’s as simple as plugging in a hoover, plus I enjoy that I contribute less money to oppressive regimes in the Middle East or towards the obscene profits of our oil companies when it’s being used. This combined with the environmental case is what has me eyeballing Autotrader and Gumtree for cheap EV’s on a daily basis. If a wee bargain pops up locally I may snap it up as a wee experiment to see how cheap going electric can be done. Sorry about no paragraphs, usual website quirk when quoting the previous post.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/10/2023 at 11:22

‘ One question that lurks on my mind regarding buying used EV’s is how does leaving one on a dealer forecourt uncharged for weeks or months affect the battery pack? I’ve been watching a local dealer who’s had several sub £5,000 Leaf’s sat in his yard for months now unused - with a view of making a cheeky trade offer. Now if I leave an old iPhone or iPod or my sons now broken electric scooter uncharged for months it tends to ruin the battery, since electric car battery packs are based on similar tech scaled up surely any used examples that’ve sat unused for a long time could be written-off by battery pack failure?’

I think I’d want to know that it has been kept perhaps 50-80% charged if parked up.
“I think I’d want to know that it has been kept perhaps 50-80% charged if parked up.”

There in lurks a problem. In my experience used cars can sit for months, even years in the case of some unloved, tatty or overpriced stock. It’s unlikely dealers will maintain a program of checks that the battery packs are regularly exercised and you’ve only the dealers word (utterly worthless) for proof of how long it’s sat. This has bothered me for a while with EV’s.

My previous employer left a fleet of 6 electric Optare buses sitting for a few months unused while they decided what to do with them (due to poor range) and when they tried to charge them none would hold a charge, they’re effective write-offs at 6yrs old.

This could be a problem for EV’s as the trade take hits on used cars. They’re already hammering their values but if a dealer takes a few hits like a £8/9k write-off they’ll price in this risk further dampening values. The only way this will be solved is with much cheaper to produce battery tech. If a replacement battery pack was £1,500 then there wouldn’t be the same fear, but at £7k upwards it’s a disaster.

I’d currently only buy an EV privately (as long as it looks like it’s been in regular use) or ex fleet/PCP stock that’s 3/4yrs old. Anything older could be been sat around or been doing the rounds of an auction hall for a while as I’ve seen with many first gen Nissan Leafs.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/10/2023 at 15:24

An oft- expressed fear for those unfamiliar with EV’s is ‘what happens if you get stuck in traffic, will you run out of battery?’

Well, I’ve been stationary on the A38 just south of Derby for just over an hour now. The climate is set to 19 degrees, I’m streaming podcasts via CarPlay and the 203 mile range I stopped with is still 203 miles.
An oft- expressed fear for those unfamiliar with EV’s is ‘what happens if you get stuck in traffic, will you run out of battery?’ Well, I’ve been stationary on the A38 just south of Derby for just over an hour now. The climate is set to 19 degrees, I’m streaming podcasts via CarPlay and the 203 mile range I stopped with is still 203 miles.

Agree, I can’t say I notice much of a range drop while sat in traffic. What does heavily affect it however is hills, long motorway hills in particular.

Beware buying a bargain Leaf. If its not got a CCS charge ability then your choice of public chargers is a bit limited. Chademo is an obsolete standard. Some don't have CCS is that correct SLO?

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Maxime.

Son is a van driver and the people he works for are buying battery driven vans

Heavy EV batteries force overhaul of driving licence rules on vehicle weight (msn.com)

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - mcb100
It’s good to see more and more electric vans doing ‘last mile’ type deliveries - my Tesco delivery arrives every week in an EV. DPD also seem to have made the switch.

Where I’m not as convinced are the vans doing big mileages up and down the motorways. Current EV range in something with the aerodynamic qualities of Downton Abbey does lead to a less than optimal range.
ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Chris M

"DPD also seem to have made the switch."

It's window dressing at present here. A DPD Nissan electric van appears most days on our small estate, along with a couple of larger Sprinter diesels apparently on the same round.

I was chatting with a driver last year who was in a Sprinter EV. Can't recall the courier, but it was one of the well known ones. Depot was 20 miles away along the motorway and he said some days he had to return early because he risked running out of battery. Wrong vehicle for the job until range increases. More window dressing.

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - gordonbennet

Be interested to know what inducements the commercial sector sees to get them on board, i see electric vans now and again, compared to the normal vans they're being driven like miss daisy.

In the heavier commercial sector battery power is years, possibly decades off if it ever happens at all, operations like the one i work for the first priority above all others is reliability and 24/7 availability, any inducements to go fully electric would almost certainly mean doubling the fleet where i work, many vehicles see minimal downtime and during deliveries the engine is powering twin power take offs.

Regarding recharging, when you next drive west down the M4 as you near Bristol look to the left at the DPD depot, i'm passing there around 7am the number of delivery vans in that depot alone has to be seen to be appreciated, we're years off having the power capability of recharging that fleet alone during the night, doesn't take much imagination to realise even that site is but a minscule fraction of the vehicle numbers involved.

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Terry W

I don't think the parcel delivery companies need inducements to switch to EV - for vehicles doing local deliveries in urban areas with lots of start stop they are ideal.

That they as yet only have a few on the fleet may be that:

• ICE are only replaced at the end of normal service life (not economic to do otherwise)
  • as you say - possibly lack of charging capacity on site
  • limits/constraints on the supply of new vehicles

Most delivery companies do not deliver between (say) 10pm and 7am - customers are simply not around to accept deliveries. This is separate to the (mostly I assume) larger vehicles which do run overnight between depots.

Overnight charging seems an ideal non-disruptive process providing the site has sufficient power supplies.

Increasing power supplies to allow EV deliveries depends entirely on the resolve of the energy companies to improve distribution networks and the encouragement/kicking they get from government.

For some remote sites it may be a decade - but could equally be possible in some locations without delay, and in others just a couple of years.

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Andrew-T

That they as yet only have a few on the fleet may be that:

• ICE are only replaced at the end of normal service life (not economic to do otherwise)
  • as you say - possibly lack of charging capacity on site
  • limits/constraints on the supply of new vehicles

Ignoring the likelihood of failures needing maintenance, how much time in 24 hours would an EV need for recharging, compared with ICE and refuelling ? Clearly this depends on the charging rate, but any suggestions ?

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Terry W

Time spent charging depends on speed of charger and size of battery probably 50-100KWH.

A 22KW charger (one up from normal domestic) would charge a typical van battery in 3-5 hours - comfortably within the overnight down time when the van is not being used.

On a 7kw domestic charger a large battery could take 10-15 hours - probably not a lot of use for an intensively used van with limited downtime.

For a large depot with (say) 50 vehicles it is a logistical question whether it would be better to have (say) 6-8 fast chargers at 120KW or (say) 50 chargers at 22kw. The former requires vans to be moved so they all get charged - the latter may cost more to instal - 50 chargers rather than 6-8.

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Ethan Edwards

Typically 22kw chargers are AC. 99% of EVs cannot accept single phase AC more than 7kw. So it's a waste of time. 50kw are DC. EVs are OK using DC at higher rates. But just because your EV accepts say up to 100kw and you're using a 50kw charger. You'll probably only charge at 30kw. There are a variety of factors at play. State of charge , battery temperature etc. There's a lot involved.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 11/10/2023 at 14:12

ANY Electric - Higher weight limits EV Commercials - Ethan Edwards

Every EV has a specific charging curve. Generally they'll charge up like a rocket up to 80% then the last 20% crawls. Which is why charging to 80 then moving on and doing another quick charge works out faster than waiting till you hit a 100.

The one time I used a high powered charger 90kw it was giving me a rate of almost 300miles range an hour compared with my home charger of 26miles per hour. Yet it was only peaking at 80 kw. Had I started with a lower state of charge I'd probably got closer to 90kw.

It's a complex matter.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 11/10/2023 at 14:27

‘ how much time in 24 hours would an EV need for recharging, compared with ICE and refuelling ? ’

Some of the newer (more expensive) 800v cars are looking at 10-80% charge in 18 minutes when on a 350kW charger. There aren’t many of those cars or chargers around at the moment, but I watched a 150kW charger refresh the car I was driving at the rate of about 10 miles per minute on charge.
But, as above, things slow down at 80%. It may take 20-25 minutes to get from 80-100% charge, whilst that 20 minutes will be a whole load more productive at a second stop further up the road.

Fill up an ICE in 5 minutes and drive 500 miles.

"Fill up" an EV - 500 miles will take 2 or 3 charging sessions with aggregate charging time of between an hour (fast charging) and ~24 hours on a domestic 7KW charger.

Fuel for an ICE at (say) 40mpg is 12.5 gallons = £90

Charging an EV at (say) 4 miles per kw requires 125kw. At home on overnight off peak rates of (say) 5p kwh = £6. At full rates of (say) 40p the cost would be £50.

EV gets the benefit of low cost "fuel" for every mile driven, but is an inconvenience only when doing longer journeys.

The converse is true of ICE - pay through the nose for every mile driven secure in the knowledge that a 500 mile trip can be taken without any pre-planning of fuel stops.

The obsession with re-fuelling times is probably to focus on the single remaining material superiority of ICE over EV, which is otherwise better in most/all other respects - running costs, environmental, noise, lower maintenance costs, etc.

We all accept that for those driving a 1000 miles a week with no home offroad charging facilities an EV would not be the logical choice.

For those driving more normal distances the only real barrier to EV ownership is the cost of purchase. The cost of a new or nearly new car (ICE or EV) is beyond the pockets of many, not unique to EV.

Some of the newer (more expensive) 800v cars are looking at 10-80% charge in 18 minutes when on a 350kW charger. There aren’t many of those cars or chargers around at the moment ....

I have misgivings about any moderate-scale installation handling one-third of a megawatt. That will need very heavy cabling or some cooling arrangement to dissipate heat, as I doubt anything will be superconducting ? Especially as we are worrying about vehicle fires ....

Worrying about EV fires?

But not about splashing a dozen gallons of unleaded into your tank. Arguably more dangerous especially if you're an inveterate smoker..or a Russian careless smoker. Fuel lines leak, old cars smell of petrol inside due to steel tanks rusting holes.

Yet you casually ignore such obvious risks because of familiarity. In a few years you may easily be as familiar with EV charging. I certainly am. Its been carefully designed and is safe. You would have to be plugging your car in practically underwater before it'd be a problem. Familiarity and risk.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 12/10/2023 at 00:02

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Bolt

In a few years you may easily be as familiar with EV charging. I certainly am. Its been carefully designed and is safe

Petrol doesn`t burn until the air/oxygen ratio is right, where an electric cable with an invisible crack in the insulation could give a large shock, and as the power in cables is a fair amount you can earth anywhere on the body, so although the petrol is leaking from a fuel line doesn`t mean it will blow up, like an old HT cable- if your hand is close to the insulation crack you will get a shock

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - movilogo

The obsession with re-fuelling times is probably to focus on the single remaining material superiority of ICE over EV, which is otherwise better in most/all other respects - running costs, environmental, noise, lower maintenance costs, etc.

The re-fuelling time thing is not a trivial matter though. This inconvenience leads to a household having to keep either an ICE as sole car or EV as 2nd car.

I think instead of expensive cars with longer ranges, manufacturers should focus on EVs with shorter ranges and lower purchase cost.

Government should create a separate driving category for Citroen Ami type cars so that new drivers are encouraged to buys EVs and restrict usage under 30 MPH and around towns only.

This will encourage lot of youngsters who otherwise shuns driving due to heavy investment. Those graduating in these type of cars can later upgarde to full license.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - skidpan

I think instead of expensive cars with longer ranges, manufacturers should focus on EVs with shorter ranges and lower purchase cost.

Don't agree. Manufacturers should be prevented (legally if necessary) from selling cars with stupidly powerful motors and ludicrous 0 - 60 times (only useful for willy waving in the local) and instead make cars with sensible power outputs and performance (Superb iV with 218 PS and a 0 - 60 of about 7.5 seconds is quicker than I will ever need) and a longer range battery for little more £££'s than a similar ICE car.

Only yesterday was browsing at Tesco and saw a test of the revised Polestar 2 and Tesla 3. Polestar was marked down because its 0 - 60 was slow 6.? seconds whereas the Tesla was a much better car since it would do 0 - 60 in 4.? seconds.

Lets think for a moment, what do we want? range or unusable performance?

It seems crazy - not that long ago 0-60 in under ten secs was considered a hot hatch.

‘ Don't agree. Manufacturers should be prevented (legally if necessary) from selling cars with stupidly powerful motors and ludicrous 0 - 60 times (only useful for willy waving in the local) and instead make cars with sensible power outputs and performance (Superb iV with 218 PS and a 0 - 60 of about 7.5 seconds is quicker than I will ever need) and a longer range battery for little more £££'s than a similar ICE car.

Only yesterday was browsing at Tesco and saw a test of the revised Polestar 2 and Tesla 3. Polestar was marked down because its 0 - 60 was slow 6.? seconds whereas the Tesla was a much better car since it would do 0 - 60 in 4.? seconds.

Lets think for a moment, what do we want? range or unusable performance?’

Or the option to do both, but obviously not at the same time?
Polestar 2 Single Motor is 0-60 in 5.9 but will do 350 miles without stopping, if driven more appropriately. That’s all the range anyone needs without a stop.

How quick is the Caterham, by the way?

Or the option to do both, but obviously not at the same time?
Polestar 2 Single Motor is 0-60 in 5.9 but will do 350 miles without stopping, if driven more appropriately. That’s all the range anyone needs without a stop.

I think you will find controlling an EV motor is harder than controlling an ICE as the Motor/s needs software and hardware to control both speed and power from standstill to max rpm, which I suspect would cost more

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - movilogo

range or unusable performance?’

I think due to inherent characteristics of electric motor, powerful enough to haul a heavy car, performance comes for free. It may be more costly to suppress their performance.

I think you will find controlling an EV motor is harder than controlling an ICE as the Motor/s needs software and hardware to control both speed and power from standstill to max rpm, which I suspect would cost more

The software and hardware to control an ICE is at least as complex.

That required to coordinate traction control, suspension settings, ABS etc are probably similar in both.

ICE has far more complex engineering with more moving and rotating parts, a profusion of sensor data to ingest and control (temperature, oxygen, air flow, fuel pressure etc). Additionally with an auto gearbox, gear changes need to be coordinated with engine management.

By comparison controlling power to an EV is almost trivial.

In a few years you may easily be as familiar with EV charging. I certainly am. Its been carefully designed and is safe

Petrol doesn`t burn until the air/oxygen ratio is right, where an electric cable with an invisible crack in the insulation could give a large shock, and as the power in cables is a fair amount you can earth anywhere on the body, so although the petrol is leaking from a fuel line doesn`t mean it will blow up, like an old HT cable- if your hand is close to the insulation crack you will get a shock

Yet you don't worry about all those electrical cables in your house and outside.

<< Yet you don't worry about all those electrical cables in your house and outside.

If you are talking about home charging, that is probably fine. Public charging points for EVs are a fairly new phenomenon though, and it seems some cabling may be carrying 30 times the current needed for an electric cooker.

A current of 0.1 amos will probably kill.

In a domestic setting an electric shower may draw 20-30 amps, a hair dryer 5-10 amps, etc. Fatal shocks are rare due to product design and use of RCDs in consumer units which protect against currents in milliamps and with a speed in milliseconds.

It seems unlikely that a device capable of delivering far in excess of anything a domestic appliance could do would be designed with any other than duplicated or triple safety systems.

It seems unlikely that a device capable of delivering far in excess of anything a domestic appliance could do would be designed with any other than duplicated or triple safety systems.

I wasn't concerned about immediate hazard to users as I am sure that would be designed out, just the amount of heat generated in any cable carrying that kind of load, unless it is superconducting. What will be the cross-section, as cable to a 9kw power shower has to be 2.5 mm2 IIRC ?

I’ve no idea of the cross section, but it’s larger than a shower feed by a magnitude of lots.
I do know it can be a two handed operation to wrangle a DC cable and CCS plug if it’s in an awkward location on the car.
The cables, incidentally, on the higher powered charger are liquid (glycol?) cooled.
Think of the outer diameter being similar, or slightly greater than, a fuel hose at a petrol station.

Edited by mcb100 on 13/10/2023 at 14:49

Passing a 350kW rapid charger, so here’s the CCS plug and cable (with hand for scale) in its dock on the charger.

1drv.ms/i/s!AuMkRafLnOYXg6YKjQBlgRQHuHlqeg
Passing a 350kW rapid charger, so here’s the CCS plug and cable (with hand for scale) in its dock on the charger.

Interesting shot, MCB. The cross-section seems to narrow down slightly passing through the grip, but pretty fat. Assuming it retracts like a fuel pump when stabled, there has to be some flexibility, which means lots of fine wires, rope fashion, plus the cooling you mention. Not that easy to handle I would guess ?

No, they’re fixed, but long enough to get to every car I’ve ever plugged in.
The other day was a bit of a faff in that the charge port on the car was in the nose, and because of the charger location I had to bay park forwards, towards a low wall.
So I had to go far enough in so as not to stick out of the bay, but leave enough room to get the connector and turn the cable through ninety degrees.
They’re manageable, but not with your phone or keys in your hand.
No, they’re fixed, but long enough to get to every car I’ve ever plugged in. The other day was a bit of a faff in that the charge port on the car was in the nose, and because of the charger location I had to bay park forwards, towards a low wall. So I had to go far enough in so as not to stick out of the bay, but leave enough room to get the connector and turn the cable through ninety degrees. They’re manageable, but not with your phone or keys in your hand.

Hmmm. With the mechanical difficulty you describe, I am wondering when the first fracture of the glycol-filled cooling system might happen. Maybe aiming for 300+kW charging is a step too far ?

I’m happy to rely on the research & development of companies who make these kind of things, and the relevant safety standards they have to exceed.
A ninety degree bend in the cable to plug in is fairly standard.
I’m happy to rely on the research & development of companies who make these kind of things, and the relevant safety standards they have to exceed. A ninety degree bend in the cable to plug in is fairly standard.

I think you have made that perfectly plain, not everyone would agree with a risk like that no matter how safe they claim it to be......

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - focussed

Worrying about EV fires?

But not about splashing a dozen gallons of unleaded into your tank. Arguably more dangerous especially if you're an inveterate smoker..or a Russian careless smoker. Fuel lines leak, old cars smell of petrol inside due to steel tanks rusting holes.

Yet you casually ignore such obvious risks because of familiarity. In a few years you may easily be as familiar with EV charging. I certainly am. Its been carefully designed and is safe. You would have to be plugging your car in practically underwater before it'd be a problem. Familiarity and risk.

I have been sloshing petrol about for getting on for 60 years.

Filling draining and working on countless motorcycles, cars, generators, outboard motors, garden equipment etc.

Some of it owned personally, a large proportion professionally.

Having learned the basics of how to handle petrol safely, I've never had a problem.

However, my apprentice did blow the top off of a lead acid battery because he forgot or refused to follow the safety advice.

Fortunately with no harm to his person.

Moral - Batteries are dangerous - petrol is safer!

Worrying about EV fires?

I have been sloshing petrol about for getting on for 60 years.

Filling draining and working on countless motorcycles, cars, generators, outboard motors, garden equipment etc.

Some of it owned personally, a large proportion professionally.

Having learned the basics of how to handle petrol safely, I've never had a problem.

However, my apprentice did blow the top off of a lead acid battery because he forgot or refused to follow the safety advice.

Fortunately with no harm to his person.

Moral - Batteries are dangerous - petrol is safer!

I agree, I have changed many a petrol tank, spent ages draining them into containers, during late 70s and 80s and never had a problem, even seen mechanics throw burning cigarettes/cigars into the fuel without it blowing up/burning.

now batteries blowing up did happen when tools were dropped by accident between the terminals, not often but did happen sometimes.....

‘I think due to inherent characteristics of electric motor, powerful enough to haul a heavy car, performance comes for free. It may be more costly to suppress their performance.’

Absolutely this. If you go back to 2012 and the launch of the Renault Twizy, it only had 17PS, but 57nM of torque. Up to 30mph you’d have to work hard with a clutch and gearbox to beat it. It never recorded a 0-60 as it maxed out at 53mph.

If you’ve not driven an EV, they’re ludicrously easy to drive as slowly as you want, even the very powerful ones. If you need a 600PS Lotus Eletre moving forwards or backwards a couple of centimetres, it’s a piece of cake.
Which is more than can be said for a pre-production Zoe I drove back in 2012 - loading it onto a flat bed was a nightmare. It would either stay put or move a metre forwards, with very little in between.

Edited by mcb100 on 12/10/2023 at 11:31

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Speedbird 747

I have just renewed my car insurance with a broker in South Wales.

I asked the agent I was dealing with why insurance has gone up so much? She replied that the cost of repairing cars is much higher, but she added that they no longer insure Teslas.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - skidpan

No idea what the 0 - 60 of mine is but a factory "135" bhp Super Sprint (1700cc X-Flow) recorded a time of 5.6 seconds and a ss 1/4 miles of 14.6 seconds with a top speed of 111 mph in 1985 in an Autocar test. It was well known that the factory press cars were better than customer cars.

When mine had a 1800cc X-Flow with about 170 bhp it recorded a ss 1/4 mile of 12.9 seconds (100mph across the line in 3rd at 8000 rpm) at a "run what you brung" meeting. The highest top speed I have recorded was at Aintree on the Railway Strait which was 115 mph as I crossed the finish line. It would no doubt have gone faster with different gearing, on the day at that speed I was doing 7600 rpm which was pretty much where max power was produced. With a 4 speed box I probably ran out of revs. It was still the quickest Caterham that day but a well modified Lotus Europa in the same class was doing about 130 mph, its all about aerodynamics at that speed and the Caterham is about the same as a brick.

With the current 175 bhp Zetec I have no idea what the actual performance is but the mid range is much, much stronger thus it should be a bit quicker. Problem would be the iron 5 speed box in the car now is far heavier than the Quaiffe alloy 4 speed I had in years ago thus weight might be against me.

Bottom line is I never floor it on public roads, you never need more than 1/2 throttle.

Electrical - Charging - HGV ~ P Valentine

Electric car drivers issued urgent warning when using public charging stations (msn.com)

A touch of good news for people who hog chargers, or an excuse to charge even more ?

MG Motor - MG hits £1 Billion sales in Uk - Steveieb

The Sunday Times has reported that MG sales last year topped £1 billion. And sales this year are up 61 %.

Keen pricing and great designs have helped with this impressive performance.

But is it a case of “ All that glitters etc”

MG Motor - MG hits £1 Billion sales in Uk - Xileno

BBC link:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67115975

MG Motor - MG hits £1 Billion sales in Uk - alan1302

BBC link:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67115975

Got to hand it to MG, they are doing very well for themselves at the moment - getting that amount of sales shows that they are certainly appealing to a lot of people.

MG Motor - MG hits £1 Billion sales in Uk - Adampr

The Sunday Times has reported that MG sales last year topped £1 billion. And sales this year are up 61 %.

Keen pricing and great designs have helped with this impressive performance.

But is it a case of “ All that glitters etc”

I'm not sure about 'great designs'. The ZS looks like a Qashqai on castors, the 5 is a Passat/montego hybrid and the 4 is like a Lamborghini kit car on a fiesta chassis.

MG Motor - MG hits £1 Billion sales in Uk - Terry W

The popularity of MG is down to price:

• new Tesla model 3 from £47k
  • new ID3 from £34k
  • new MG ZS from £24k, MG4 from £24k, MG5 from £26k

They may not have the absolute performance or refinement of their much more expensive competitors - but getting 90% for 50-70% of the price is entirely convincing in terms of value for money.

MG Motor - MG hits £1 Billion sales in Uk - Andrew-T

They may not have the absolute performance or refinement of their much more expensive competitors - but getting 90% for 50-70% of the price is entirely convincing in terms of value for money.

Just as with most products from China. Until they reach global monopoly, as they have done in quite a few market sectors.

The Electic Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Big John

No idea what the 0 - 60 of mine is but a factory "135" bhp Super Sprint (1700cc X-Flow) recorded a time of 5.6 seconds and a ss 1/4 miles of 14.6 seconds with a top speed of 111 mph in 1985 in an Autocar test. It was well known that the factory press cars were better than customer cars.

When mine had a 1800cc X-Flow with about 170 bhp it recorded a ss 1/4 mile of 12.9 seconds (100mph across the line in 3rd at 8000 rpm) at a "run what you brung" meeting. The highest top speed I have recorded was at Aintree on the Railway Strait which was 115 mph as I crossed the finish line. It would no doubt have gone faster with different gearing, on the day at that speed I was doing 7600 rpm which was pretty much where max power was produced. With a 4 speed box I probably ran out of revs. It was still the quickest Caterham that day but a well modified Lotus Europa in the same class was doing about 130 mph, its all about aerodynamics at that speed and the Caterham is about the same as a brick.

With the current 175 bhp Zetec I have no idea what the actual performance is but the mid range is much, much stronger thus it should be a bit quicker. Problem would be the iron 5 speed box in the car now is far heavier than the Quaiffe alloy 4 speed I had in years ago thus weight might be against me.

Bottom line is I never floor it on public roads, you never need more than 1/2 throttle.

Interesting. From my mis spent youth I used to prefer the 4 speed rwd Ford gearbox as top gear was a simple lock up connecting input shaft to output not involving gears so more efficient and robust in top. Revs at high speed were interesting but suitably ported and cammed ....... The crossflow engine was a cracker, easy to "tweak" and had some basic robust features eg direct cam driven oil pump not via a horrible hex drive shaft.

Sorry back to electric cars. i don't own one yet but I was impressed with a model 3 Tesla when I shared the driving on a road trip in one. If I was pounding the roads as I used to do I'd have one tomorrow. as a company car. The Tesla charging infrastructure is impressive and my goodness what a car to drive. We covered many hundreds of miles but never felt range anxiety. However as a retired private buyer it's too expensive and my wife would hate the touch screen used for even basic functions.

Edited by Big John on 15/10/2023 at 23:58

‘The Tesla charging infrastructure is impressive’

Some of that Tesla network is now open to other EV’s (but I suspect speeds are throttled if you’re not in a Tesla….), and the Tesla only remainder is 8.6% of the UK rapid charge network.
There’s another 91.4% that works in pretty much the same way.
But that’s where they got it absolutely right to start with.
Ad they roll out their v4 chargers, they will be open to all. An additional revenue stream for Tesla, and lots of opportunities to gain data from other car brands.
Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - HGV ~ P Valentine

I have just seen a picture on Facebook of a tesla van filling up with diesel, if it is real it makes all the marketing about how wonderful their electric cars are a so much horse poo.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 16/10/2023 at 07:35

Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - mcb100
They don’t produce any vans, so I’m a bit puzzled…

I did say IF it is real, you can never believe anything on facebook at face value.

But you know, if they can produce batteries for car sales, then I only see this as an excuse not a reason, simply because while they are willing to overcharge for the electric version of the same model, they somehow cannot produce enough batteries to make a single electric van.

Also, if that is their reason for NOT going electric, then how will they replace all the batteries they have sold to the public, when they need replacing ? And they will need replacing at some point.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 16/10/2023 at 07:42

Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - Ethan Edwards

....... then how will they replace all the batteries they have sold to the public, when they need replacing ? And they will need replacing at some point.

This is pure FUD. The oldest Teslas are about 12 now. Some have have 300,000 on the same engine and battery. If they're not your thing find a petrol car with 300k on it and see if you'd buy that.

There's no foreseeable shortage of Lithium. Batteries are improving all the time, some are sodium based. Lithium is not consumed. Its 100% recyclable. And profitable to do so too.

This schtick about needing new batteries every six months and other wild apocryphal tales are getting very tiresome. The truth is out there and you don't need to be Mulder and Scully to find it. But lamely repeating ad nauseum the old FUD is surely getting dull.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 16/10/2023 at 15:39

A Tesla electric van is coming as soon as there are batteries for it | Electrek

Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - skidpan

A Tesla electric van is coming as soon as there are batteries for it | Electrek

More nonsense.

That is not a van, its an MPV.

Its called a van in the text because that is what daft Americans call MPV's

Ah right.

Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - Adampr

There is a separate thread for made up EV nonsense.

I think I know the image you’re talking about - it pops up quite regularly in various places.
It’s a Mercedes Sprinter at a filling station.
Tesla, as you know, are a manufacturer of cars - they have the much heralded Cybertruck on its way, but it seems to have been imminent forever - but they make cars. That’s what they do. Not vans.
Other people make electric vans.
So if Tesla need to move around bulky items that will only fit in a van, they have to use a van. And they don’t make one. So they have to use someone else’s.
And whilst electric vans are very useful around town, currently less so at long distances.
So, without any context, I’d say it was for carrying things that are too big for a car some distance.
Other manufacturers of electric cars (and not vans) will also have to use other manufacturers’ vans.
Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - alan1302

I have just seen a picture on Facebook of a tesla van filling up with diesel, if it is real it makes all the marketing about how wonderful their electric cars are a so much horse poo.

Obviously it's not real as Tesla only produce electric vehicles and don't make vans. Maybe worth doing some fact checking before posting?

In fairness, it is a Tesla liveried Mercedes Sprinter at a filling station.
They use (or have used) smaller vans in a support and service role, with people claiming ‘gotchas’ when they see them refuelling, followed by posting images online for the clicks and feigned indignation/surprise.
Tesla all - Filling up with proper stuff - Bromptonaut

Seen that one too. Its a service van for parts or whatever. At a guess some sort of Transit.

What's even slightly real world funny about it?

Wry grin and no more.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - mcb100
Occasionally, there’s a post about perceived higher servicing costs on an EV. I’ve just looked up the service schedule for a Tesla Model 3 -

Brake fluid health check every four years (replace if necessary).
A/C desiccant bag replaced after 4 years (six years on cars manufactured 2017-2021).
Cabin air filter every two years.
Clean and lubricate calipers every year or 12,500 miles of roads are salted.
Rotate tyres every 6250 miles if difference in tread depth is greater than 1.5mm.

Caliper lubrication on a regular basis presumably because of the infrequency with which brakes are used.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Ethan Edwards

Year two - Main Dealer service , software updates...120quid. Up from 75 quid last year. Yeah EV servicing sure is pricey. Great job Vauxhall.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - skidpan

horse poo.

The man said it himself. 2 words that sum up all Mr Valentines posts on EV's

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - HGV ~ P Valentine

Moment £190,000 McLaren plug-in hybrid sports car bursts into flames on TEST DRIVE a mile away from motor dealership (msn.com)

Thank fully for me I will never have that sort of money, and would not spend all of it on a car anyway.

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Bromptonaut

Moment £190,000 McLaren plug-in hybrid sports car bursts into flames on TEST DRIVE a mile away from motor dealership (msn.com)

Thank fully for me I will never have that sort of money, and would not spend all of it on a car anyway.

It's a hybrid so burns petrol.

Are you or the source item (DM) able to confirm it was the electrics wot did it?

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - mcb100
There’s no sign of the much vaunted thermal runaway.
The fire service report that they arrived at 14:35 and it was considered extinguished at 15:02.
Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Ethan Edwards

www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/pricey-por...6

youtu.be/dqBSjYXOxiI?si=aJOIgE7pRLeg3VN8

Gee it seems petrol cars catch fire. Even one's costing shedloads.

Not 100% safe....Ought to be banned.

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Steveieb

Relating this incident to the home situation.
Many people park their cars near the house to carry out an overnight charge or even park in an integral garage.

Whats the risk involved in this or is it simply better to park on the road once the charging is complete especially after seeing the Cornwall incident.

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Adampr

An internal garage should have the appropriate firestopping and alarm in place in case of any fire. Likewise, homes have smoke alarms and fire stopping in the external fabric.

Fires can and do spread from cars to houses. None of this is particularly EV related, though. Until the fire in St Austell is investigated, we have no idea what caused it. There are a lot of car fires every single day.

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - mcb100
For me, risk is based on figures and tens of thousands of cars are plugged in on driveways overnight.
The fact that one fire created headlines is probably meaningful. What’s more interesting is that in the case of the car in Cornwall it wasn’t removed from the drive once it had been extinguished (there are photos of the house residents standing next to the wreckage). Which, in turn, suggests that the traction battery wasn’t involved.
A home charger has cut offs to shut down charging at the first sign of any issues, and an RCD to isolate it from the rest of the property electrics.
The only thing I see warned about is charging from a 3 pin plug for lengthy periods, maybe via an extension lead not fit for the job in hand.
Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Andrew-T
The only thing I see warned about is charging from a 3 pin plug for lengthy periods, maybe via an extension lead not fit for the job in hand.

If that extension lead is a long one kept on a reel and not fully unwound, the coiled section can get pretty hot. But that should not set fire to the vehicle if it failed.

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Ethan Edwards

topcharger.co.uk/how-to-use-an-extension-lead-to-c.../

Generally using an extension cord to charge an EV is frowned upon. One point is that even if its a heavy duty cable, it MUST be fully unwound. And no daisy chaining.

But if your spending 30k on a car, spend the 500 quid on a proper charger.

Electric £190'000 car - Expensive Camp Fire - Steveieb

Interesting to learn the parting shot from Professor Goodenough the organic chemist from Oxford University who developed the lithium ion battery warned his successor about the widespread adoption of the lithium battery

When Prof Edwards his successor as Professor of Organic Chemistry was working with Prof Goodenough, he says his Oxford predecessor “did wonder whether safety issues with lithium might preclude the battery’s widespread adoption. Particularly so, given the fire brigade had been called to his laboratory to put out a lithium battery fire... nowadays politely called a thermal runaway event.”

Do EV's use more rubber? - P3t3r

This may sound like a stupid question. I've seen some well known EV people say that tyres for EV's cost the same as in ICE cars and don't wear quicker. This has come from individuals and people with fleets of EV's. Is this correct or are they just being dishonest?

Force = Mass x Acceleration. If a car weighs more then you need more force to make it move and stop moving and it's the tyres that do this. You can get different tyre compounds, but I believe you will usually compromise the performance and/or increase the price. Is there something magical about EV's that I'm not aware of?

Does anybody know whether it's true or false?

Do EV's use more rubber? - Adampr

On a like-for-like basis (eg Corsa Vs Corsa e) it's probably true that the EV will wear it's tyres faster due to weight. However, some might argue that there are other factors (such as reduced braking) that make EVs wear tyres less. Equally, not all EVs are heavier than all ICE cars so the logic is not universal.

In reality I doubt it makes a great deal of difference in comparison to driving style etc.

What I do know is that the tyre companies will gladly have you believe that you need special EV tyres that cost more than usual. You don't, provided they have the correct load rating.

Do EV's use more rubber? - madf

BMW i3s wore their original tyres out in under 15k miles: narrow tyres, high torque and instant acceleration from rest. Later ones were better as torque control improved. And of course many BMW drivers like to press on.

Do EV's use more rubber? - Andrew-T

On a like-for-like basis (eg Corsa Vs Corsa e) it's probably true that the EV will wear it's tyres faster due to weight. However, some might argue that there are other factors (such as reduced braking) that make EVs wear tyres less.

It doesn't matter what method is used to slow a car, the operation depends on friction between tyre and road surface !! Therefore - other things being equal, a car which weighs more will need more 'friction' to stop. This might be mitigated by having more rubber in contact with the road I suppose ?

And as EVs are capable of nippier acceleration, I guess that eager drivers may notice their tyres wearing that way too.

Do EV's use more rubber? - gordonbennet

Whatever extra tyre wear might or might not happen, it would be offset by the brakes lasting many years up to hundreds of thousands of miles so long as the vehicle is set to recover deceleration energy, though a switched on owner would turn off energy recovery (or whatever name they give it) now and again and give the brakes some exercise to keep the discs from rusting up.

Whatever extra tyre wear might or might not happen, it would be offset by the brakes lasting many years up to hundreds of thousands of miles so long as the vehicle is set to recover deceleration energy, though a switched on owner would turn off energy recovery (or whatever name they give it) now and again and give the brakes some exercise to keep the discs from rusting up.

Whether brakes may wear at a slower rate, doesn't change the validity of the comments that were made, i.e. tyres don't wear quicker.

Having said that, I've heard that the brakes on EV's can rust due to lack of use, so they still need to be replaced.

Do EV's use more rubber? - gordonbennet

Whether brakes may wear at a slower rate, doesn't change the validity of the comments that were made, i.e. tyres don't wear quicker.

Having said that, I've heard that the brakes on EV's can rust due to lack of use, so they still need to be replaced.

Brake discs can rust on any car with any drivetrain just as fast as on a battery car if the owner/driver has no mechanical knowledge or sympathy or is simply not interested, hence my last sentence, which you quoted but seemingly didn't notice.

It would help with this problem if makers stopped fitting disc brakes to the rear of quite ordinary cars, totally unecessary but like the now common stupidly large alloy wheels with low aspect elastic bands instead of tyres and the fake twin exhaust mouldings seen in what passes for a rear bumper these days, rear drums simply wouldn't pass the image test for the proles affected by this complex, so bad is this image thing that some fit plastic clip on covers with the Brembo logo embossed onto what might be considered by schoolboys are too small brake calipers, embarrassing or what.

On a like-for-like basis (eg Corsa Vs Corsa e) it's probably true that the EV will wear it's tyres faster due to weight. However, some might argue that there are other factors (such as reduced braking) that make EVs wear tyres less.

It doesn't matter what method is used to slow a car, the operation depends on friction between tyre and road surface !! Therefore - other things being equal, a car which weighs more will need more 'friction' to stop. This might be mitigated by having more rubber in contact with the road I suppose ?

I've never understood the logic either, but I have heard it said, which is why I said 'some might argue'. My experience of EV driving certainly felt like I drove more smoothly - you get quite addicted to minimising energy use and harvesting it all back gradually rather than trying to use all the acceleration then stamping on the brakes.

Equally, not all EVs are heavier than all ICE cars so the logic is not universal.

Can you give an example of some similar cars where the electric version isn't heavier?

Do EV's use more rubber? - skidpan

you get quite addicted to minimising energy use and harvesting it all back gradually rather than trying to use all the acceleration then stamping on the brakes.

Shame there is only you that drives an EV like that. Most seem to drive exactly the opposite intent on using every last bit of extra power they have bought.

Equally, not all EVs are heavier than all ICE cars so the logic is not universal.

Can you give an example of some similar cars where the electric version isn't heavier?

No. What I meant was that, for example, a Range Rover weighs more than a Renault Zoe but doesn't have special tyres, just big ones.

Having said that, the weight difference between, say, a Tesla 3 and aerc C Class is only a couple of hundred kg. Hardly insignificant, but the tabloids would have you believe that EVs are twice the weight.

Having said that, the weight difference between, say, a Tesla 3 and aerc C Class is only a couple of hundred kg. Hardly insignificant, but the tabloids would have you believe that EVs are twice the weight.

Most things don't seem to say that the difference is big, only that they are heavier, but a couple of hundred kg's is a lot. It's more than a 10% difference.

The heaviest non-AMG C-class seems to be 1730kg, which is 94% of a 1847kg Tesla 3. If you look at the AMG C-class then the weights are pretty much the same but that isn't really a fair comparison. A C-class is also a heavy car and slightly bigger than the Tesla. If you go for the heaviest petrol C-class, then you're looking at 1650Kg, which is 89% the weight of the Tesla. Mercedes are also quite heavy, so if you look at other brands, like a BMW 3 series for example, then the weight difference is even bigger.

Do EV's use more rubber? - Andrew-T

<< Most things don't seem to say that the difference is big, only that they are heavier, but a couple of hundred kg's is a lot. It's more than a 10% difference. >>

Well, that equals about 2 to 2.5 adults in a car, which you would probably notice when driving ? (especially the 0.5) ....

<< Most things don't seem to say that the difference is big, only that they are heavier, but a couple of hundred kg's is a lot. It's more than a 10% difference. >>

Well, that equals about 2 to 2.5 adults in a car, which you would probably notice when driving ? (especially the 0.5) ....

In my car I would notice the difference easily. My car weighs less than 1,000kg. If I have one person in the car then I notice a difference in braking and accelerating. Two additional adults is very noticeable.

My point isn't so much about whether you would feel it though. It's a question of physics. Does additional weight increase tyre wear or is there some magic that I don't understand? I think think I know what people think now and appreciate everybody's comments.

I see lots of people commenting in owners’ forums that their tyres are lasting 30K miles plus on EV’s.
I’ve also seen fleet managers saying the same.
I’m going to differ from a comment above and say that the mileage comes from using tyres designed/formulated for EV use.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Bolt

I’m going to differ from a comment above and say that the mileage comes from using tyres designed/formulated for EV use.

I was told tyres for EVs were specially designed for the extra weight and stress of EVs which must be the case as normal tyres may not be able to cope, not so sure insurance companies would insure unless they had tyres specially made, in case of failure

Mokka-e available as Petrol, Diesel or Electric. All use the same tyres.

Fiat500e EV uses regular car tyres.

Others may use specialised EV only tyres but that is one thing I do check when buying a car. How much per corner will a new tyre cost me?

I recently got four separate punctures in the one tyre on the Mokka-e (A12 grate didn't it). Replaced it with what the tyre shop had in that size Nexen RU1 120 quid.. So far so good no explosions etc. So I'm calling BS on that in my case.

Course if you had a more exotic EV maybe but then a comparison would be say a Lambo and you'd put something exotic on that wouldn't you.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 20/10/2023 at 21:07

I am more used to driving bigger, heavier EV’s, which tend to have car manufacturer specific tyres - they have compound and acoustic qualities tailored to suit the brand.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Terry W

A quick look at the relationship between vehicle weight and tyre wear shows that weight is a key determinant.

However for most EVs there is an increase of typically 2-300kg over the comparable ICE. This is well within the normal load capacity of common fit tyres - and is broadly the difference between a car + driver only compared to driver +2/3 passengers.

Does it matter - not very much. The cost of a full set of tyres may be (say) £400. They last (say) 3 years at 10k pa. An annual cost of £133.

If they have to be replaced at (say) 24k due to the extra weight of an EV the annualised cost would increase by £32pa to £166.

Completely trivial!!!

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - P3t3r

A quick look at the relationship between vehicle weight and tyre wear shows that weight is a key determinant.

However for most EVs there is an increase of typically 2-300kg over the comparable ICE. This is well within the normal load capacity of common fit tyres - and is broadly the difference between a car + driver only compared to driver +2/3 passengers.

Does it matter - not very much. The cost of a full set of tyres may be (say) £400. They last (say) 3 years at 10k pa. An annual cost of £133.

If they have to be replaced at (say) 24k due to the extra weight of an EV the annualised cost would increase by £32pa to £166.

Completely trivial!!!

Their argument is actually about the tyre particulates rather than the cost. I agree that the cost difference may not be that significant, but does exist. When people are denying additional costs completely, then it makes me think that they are being dishonest.

In your example it's an 8% increase in tyre cost, which is actually significant. I do wonder whether these costs are put on a graph with other things, which makes the cost difference look insignificant though. I think a lot of people may also put their EV's in eco mode etc. and drive more gently, which would probably reduce wear slightly.

Honda and Nissan - Hybrid systems using ICE to power generator - Steveieb

Take a look at John Cadogan s thoughts about Nissan e power systems which i believe are similar to Honda s Civic and Jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUPT8GXsOBw

Have they got it right or is it the idea over complicated and energy consuming ?

I find Cadogan much too irritating to listen to, but it’s an odd situation with Renault and Nissan in that they’re part of an alliance with Qashqai and Austral on the same CMF platform but completely different hybrid systems.
Qashqai is a 1.6 engine working exclusively as a generator and the car runs as an EV. I’ve driven it, and it has an EV feel but with a petrol soundtrack.
Austral is a 1.2 three cylinder turbo linked to an automated multi speed, non-synchromesh gearbox and electric motors. It’ll run in petrol, electric or a combination of both.
The Renault, despite its added complexity, is the more efficient. It does deliver the occasional clunky gearchange.
Toyota had objections to their use of ‘self charging hybrid’ in their adverts but the ASA dismissed the claims of misleading advertising.
Any - EV History and some odd photos - Maxime.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/oct/24/amazi...s

Hubby showed me this article.

Worth sharing?

Any - EV History and some odd photos - corax

Those C5's were scary. 20 miles for 5p? They were so slow though. I cycled past a guy in one on my bike and wasn't trying. And I was getting some exercise.

Who wanted to sit that low on the road with HGV tyres roaring past your head. It would never get past health and safety these days.

I suppose something like the Carver is the modern equivalent.

www.carverelectric.co.uk/

Any - EV History and some odd photos - Adampr

My dad has a C5. Not for road, just as a curio. I can tell you it doesn't feel very slow when you're in it ..

Any - EV History and some odd photos - Bromptonaut

My dad has a C5. Not for road, just as a curio. I can tell you it doesn't feel very slow when you're in it ..

Like a Go-Kart or the Issigonis Mini it's an effect of being close to the ground....

Tesla have just released data related to battery longevity, based on Model S and Model X.
It’s showing a 12% loss in capacity after 200,000 miles. A battery is still deemed useable at 80% capacity, so that’s 2 or 3 times the average life expectancy of an ICE car (140,000 miles).
Figures for Model 3 and Model Y are similar but smaller in quantity as the cars haven’t been around as long.
And in the hydrogen news, Shell are scaling back their light vehicle hydrogen development programme, having already closed several hydrogen filling stations.

www.reuters.com/sustainability/climate-energy/shel.../
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - madf
And in the hydrogen news, Shell are scaling back their light vehicle hydrogen development programme, having already closed several hydrogen filling stations. www.reuters.com/sustainability/climate-energy/shel.../

Basic physics - energy in is greater than energy out - means it was always a non starter.

If you are interested in how it is proposed to make and distribute the energy needed for Net Zero then read this paper by Ofgem It estimates we need to QUADRUPLE electricity output.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f

Amongst its many sensible recommendations are basically the removal of anyone's rights to delay implementation of electricity by pylons by removing the right to appeal against planning permission. A lump sum would be paid as compensation to those affected..

I cannot see it being approved by Southern Conservative MPs whose constituencies would be affected.

It may not be southern Tory MPs who make the decision

‘Basic physics - energy in is greater than energy out - means it was always a non starter.’

And now Toyota saying they’re rowing back on hydrogen for cars -

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-switche...s

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - expat

GM are cutting back on EVs also

www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/gm-scales-back-e...q

Can you imagine the challenge that US manufacturers have in getting ‘good old boys’ out of their V8 pickups and into something al little more environmentally conscious?
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - expat
Can you imagine the challenge that US manufacturers have in getting ‘good old boys’ out of their V8 pickups and into something al little more environmentally conscious?

The US is a huge market with lots of different needs in different areas. Good old boys in the South and Mid west but California and parts of the NE are entirely different. Selling EVs does seem to not be going as well there as expected.

www.businessinsider.com/auto-executives-coming-cle...0

It will be interesting to see how sales are going in other countries.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - alan1302

GM are cutting back on EVs also

www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/gm-scales-back-e...q

As are Ford:

www.theverge.com/2023/10/26/23934172/ford-12-billi...s

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Andrew-T
‘Basic physics - energy in is greater than energy out - means it was always a non starter.’

Some of the scientists on here have been pointing that out for long enough. Of course some unforeseen magic process may be discovered, but I won't be holding my breath.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Engineer Andy
‘Basic physics - energy in is greater than energy out - means it was always a non starter.’ And now Toyota saying they’re rowing back on hydrogen for cars - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-switche...s

Exactly the reason why it won't work for heating boilers on a national scale (see my comments on the thread to do with hydrogen's usage generally). All the problems come with 'making', transporting and storing it locally/regionally - none of which are anywhere near being resolved as far as I can see.

Like many other much-touted 'new' and 'green' technoloigies in recent years, reality will eventually bite after the gloss comes off the hype. Trouble is, these days untold £Bns have and still are (and in greater amounts) are being spent - no, wasted - on pushing along such tech at way too fast a rate for adoption, well before it is capable of being economically rolled out.

Seems to me like this is going to bankrupt the world, with all the very bad consequences that surely will follow. Of course, those most affected will inevitably those least able to afford to do anything worthwhile to avoid or lessen the blow, and those (currently) benefitting from it (many of whom are driving such policies) appear to be gaining more and more wealth and power as they do.

‘Basic physics - energy in is greater than energy out - means it was always a non starter.’ And now Toyota saying they’re rowing back on hydrogen for cars - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-switche...s

Seems to me like this is going to bankrupt the world, with all the very bad consequences that surely will follow. Of course, those most affected will inevitably those least able to afford to do anything worthwhile to avoid or lessen the blow, and those (currently) benefitting from it (many of whom are driving such policies) appear to be gaining more and more wealth and power as they do.

Not often I agree with Andy but here I do - 100%.

See heat pumps. Roughly 28 million households in UK Say each new installation costs £15k Total cost £420B

See electrical generation. Extra capacity needed 90GigaWatts - See the Winser Report.

Approx capital cost is c £500M per GW So expenditure £45B

Closure of Gas lines and making safe: estimated cost (by others ) £70B.

MINIMUM extra costs total £535B

Done say over 25 years to meet 2050 goal = £21.4B a Year EVERY YEAR.

Then add inflation , cost overruns - see HS2 - incompetence, delays - none started yet.. and it will be easily double that.

And no figures are included for the extra National Grid costs of pylons and distribution.which will be £100B ssss

No allowance for the extra cost of EVs as I expect Chinese built ones to take 100% market share at IC costs But there will be extra costs for charging points at home and on roads- say £1k per car on the roads or say £25B

Edited by madf on 28/10/2023 at 07:12

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Adampr

We are capitalists. Spending money is good. The only time we can become bankrupt is when we run out of natural resources. That's why we are being moved towards a sustainable future; because we're going to run out of resources and stop being rich otherwise.

<< No allowance for the extra cost of EVs as I expect Chinese built ones to take 100% market share at IC costs But there will be extra costs for charging points at home and on roads- >>

What are we going to pay the Chinese with, if they are making all the EVs and we have exhausted our natural resources ? :-)

Oh, I suppose no-one will be able to afford a car anyway ....

<< No allowance for the extra cost of EVs as I expect Chinese built ones to take 100% market share at IC costs But there will be extra costs for charging points at home and on roads- >>

What are we going to pay the Chinese with, if they are making all the EVs and we have exhausted our natural resources ? :-)

Oh, I suppose no-one will be able to afford a car anyway ....

Or insure one.

Assume the total cost of transition to "green" energy - generation, household, transmission etc etc - is £1500bn over the next 25 years to include inflation and under costing.

Over time there may be cost offsets - eg: heat pumps become much cheaper as volumes increase and designs refined, installation of pylons and turbines similarly benefit etc

This is £60bn pa. UK GDP is ~£2400bn. The cost of energy transition represents about 2.5% of GNP. This is not bankruptcy or financial ruin. It does need a clear plan, barriers removed, training of new staff, etc - all entirely feasible.

The alternative is to relegate it top the "too difficult" list, do nothing and find as the next few decades pass that fossil fuel become more scarce and prices increase.

Assume the total cost of transition to "green" energy - generation, household, transmission etc etc - is £1500bn over the next 25 years to include inflation and under costing.

Over time there may be cost offsets - eg: heat pumps become much cheaper as volumes increase and designs refined, installation of pylons and turbines similarly benefit etc

This is £60bn pa. UK GDP is ~£2400bn. The cost of energy transition represents about 2.5% of GNP. This is not bankruptcy or financial ruin. It does need a clear plan, barriers removed, training of new staff, etc - all entirely feasible.

The alternative is to relegate it top the "too difficult" list, do nothing and find as the next few decades pass that fossil fuel become more scarce and prices increase.

£60 Bn is what we spent on HS2 over 10 years.

It is approx 5% additional Government spending at a time we have a 10% Budget Deficit and an ageing population which need pensions, and extra hospital care.

Last years's income tax revenues were £246,8B.

So a 25% increase in Income Tax is required to fully fund it.

In my view that is politically impossible.

Income tax of £246bn is only a part of taxation which totals £1100bn - others include fuel duties, corporation tax, VAT, council tax, business rates etc.

It is not only the government who will pay. Much of the cost no doubt be paid for directly by consumers through higher energy bills etc.

Having said that, there will need to be some sacrifices made to afford the transition. Whether it is worth it or not is a matter of opinion.

Consumers and commercial users will pay all the costs one way - either directly higher bills - or indirectly - higher taxes,

It equates to c £2,000 extra year per household.

Given we have 5-8 M households currently struggling to pay bills, that means the remaining 20 odd Million will pay even more - say £2,500.

It is not financially feasible. Voters will NOT accept it. They will vote with their feet.

That nice Mr Sunak has I suspect, already done these sums and is less than enthusiastic. Hence his withdrawing from HS2, ULEZ etc.

The incompetence of a Government which commits to actions which are not affordable is hard to accept.

I agree with much that you say.

Higher income households typically spending more will end up paying more. It is worth noting that households with above average incomes will frequently have two or more incomes.

The alternative is to carry on with fossil fuels. There are risks attached to this - particularly:

• price and energy security
  • reaction of the international community - would the UK become a pariah state
  • is climate change real - some would continue to deny scientific opinion

All major UK political parties endorse net zero, although they may travel at different speeds and on different routes.

Giving voters a choice - changing policy would require UKIP style political disruption or mass public opposition at a level far in excess of (say) poll tax riots. Personally I hope neither come to pass!

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - gordonbennet
All major UK political parties endorse net zero, although they may travel at different speeds and on different routes.

Giving voters a choice - changing policy would require UKIP style political disruption or mass public opposition at a level far in excess of (say) poll tax riots. Personally I hope neither come to pass!

Indeed, and millions have come to the conclusion that there is no point in voting for either branch of the uniparty, hence the apathy at the recent by elections where voters couldn;t even be bothered to register their contempt, even fewer than normal turned up.

Anything could happen between now and the end of the decade, the major parties may all endorse net zero but it doesn't necessarily mean the voting public agree or believe, the voting public are the ones paying whilst politicians go on drunken sailor spending sprees.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Metropolis.

We should really have a national referendum on net zero. Given all major parties endorse it (notbaly with the Conservatives it's party HQ not the members!), there is no real avenue for the public to have their say. If the public really wanted EVs they would be buying them without state intervention.

Edited by Metropolis. on 29/10/2023 at 15:27

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Bromptonaut

We should really have a national referendum on net zero.

It'll be a very cold day in hell before a UK government allows another referendum on a complex subject.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Metropolis.
Were remainers calling it a complex subject in 75, or just when they lost? Voting for independence is extremely simple.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Bromptonaut
Were remainers calling it a complex subject in 75, or just when they lost? Voting for independence is extremely simple.

I can't remember what either side said then but clearly it's more complicated than so called independence.

But that's by the by. We're talking about net zero, which ain't simple either.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Bolt

We're talking about net zero, which ain't simple either.

neither is it going to happen, the thought as usual is there but it won`t come to anything...

Voting for independence is extremely simple.

That sums up the difficulty - many people think it is simple, but they just haven't considered what happens after the result.

Referenda are only proposed when support for either outcome is fairly evenly balanced. The UK has had three in recent history - Scottish independence, change to first past the post voting, and Brexit.

Outcomes depended on the quality of marketing, not the substance of the debate. Those getting the result they want assert a triumph of common sense. Losers want a repeat, convinced the public made a serious judgement error.

An arrogant assertion - the average person has difficulty in making reasoned judgements over complex issues. Bear in mind half the voters are less capable (thicker) than average.

Referenda are no more useful in making complex decisions than tossing a coin. They are a triumph of the easily persuaded over rational informed judgement. They may give the "right" answer but luck, perceptions and marketing, not intellectual rigour dominates.

Consider what the outcome would be for the following compared to the status quo:

• assisted dying, voluntary euthanasia
  • death sentence for serious crime
  • prison sentence for paedophiles

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Engineer Andy

We should really have a national referendum on net zero.

It'll be a very cold day in hell before a UK government allows another referendum on a complex subject.

More like one they are likely to lose, once the genuine facts of the matter are fully known to the Public at large.

And unlike Brexit, where a reasonable number (admitedly not huge, mostly Tory MPs and a few others) of 'mainstream' politicians (i.e. those with MPs) were on the 'Leave' side, I'd say very few would be against Net Zero, not because they know the facts, but because they have, in my view, a vested interest in supporting it (££££).

I suspect they 'learned their lesson' from their experiences from 2016 in not giving us Plebs the chance to REALLY see what's been going on on this issue, given how much taxpayer money has been 'spent' (wasted, going to corrupt people, including the very rich and powerful, and how politicians are involved) and seemingly will have to, dwarfing what has come before by several magnitudes, to 'achieve' Net Zero at all, especially by the (artificial) deadlines they've set.

Exactly what I said in 2016.

"Wow they'll never let us have another Referendum for any reason."

I'd prefer we were a bit more like the Swiss having decisions made by regular Referenda.

Rather than the US, with decisions influenced by paid dubious pressure groups mostly publically funded, and with civil servants making up and implementing their preferred policy.

Guess democracy is dying out in the UK.

Despite my comments above the position with oil and gas exploration is :

40-50 years ago, you spent £1 on finding and developing a field and got £15 back.

Now you spent £1 and get £5 back.

Law of Diminishing Returns as all easy fields have been exploited.

At the same time, OPEC forecasts total oil demand will rise c 10% in the next 10 years.

So rising demand and fewer and more costly discoveries means big price rises.

In the long run , there is probably no alternative.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 1 - Xileno

Probably about right to split this into Vol 2 now, it's getting tedious scrolling to the end each time and it's drifting a bit away from EV.

**** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Edited by Xileno on 31/10/2023 at 08:23