Cheap motorway cruiser - AndrewAUK99

Hi

Looking for advice for my eldest who now commutes 3 times a month 6 hrs from Cornwall to home

She bought a very cheap shed for the first two months which is underpowered and not very comfortable for that long journey

Any recommendations on a cheap motorway cruiser/cruncher for ..wait for it.. less than £4k

95% will be just sat on a motorway

cheers

Cheap motorway cruiser - Adampr

Toyota Avensis

Cheap motorway cruiser - The Heg
Old school Volvo- S80 or V70. Plenty of decent ones for £2k, and use the other £2k for fuel….

petrol or diesel ?

Thanks for those..I'll take a look

What about a Mk4 mondeo 2.0 diesel or a mercedes E280 diesel ?.. are they money pits

cheers

Cheap motorway cruiser - Xileno

I think the MK4 Mondeo uses the PSA engine which has a good reputation. Check the belts have been done. In this price range it's all about condition and I would be looking at private sales.

Cheap motorway cruiser - badbusdriver

Thanks for those..I'll take a look

What about a Mk4 mondeo 2.0 diesel or a mercedes E280 diesel ?.. are they money pits

cheers

Any could be a money pit at this price, especially diesel because you have no way of knowing what kind of running it has been subjected to before you buy it. Could be a DPF disaster waiting to happen!. I'd second the Avensis, a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol, no DPF to worry about and decent enough economy at a cruise. But you don't need a car as big as that to be comfortable on a motorway.

What did she have before that was underpowered?

1.4 golf with 135k miles.She got it for next to nothing but its starting to show (lol)

Cheap motorway cruiser - elekie&a/c doctor
£4k is banger territory. Keep it simple. Stick with a petrol . Focus , Astra or similar from Honda or Toyota.
Cheap motorway cruiser - barney100

Agree with e Volvo v70 choice. Mine’s on 182k and it’s diesel, great motorway cruiser.

Cheap motorway cruiser - SLO76
I’d stick with mass market petrol models, preferably of Japanese design.

Toyota Avensis 1.8
Toyota Auris 1.33/1.6
Mazda 3 1.6/2.0
Mazda 6 1.8/2.0
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Ford Focus 1.6 (Japanese engine)

But much depends on what’s on sale in budget nearby. Give me a search area and I’ll have a look for a few worthies.
Cheap motorway cruiser - Metropolis.
I would look for a big saloon or a comfy 4x4. Probably safer getting a Camry (uk spec) at this price, or a Lexus GS or LS.
Cheap motorway cruiser - John F

..... 3 times a month 6 hrs from Cornwall to home....

.....assuming 300miles (Cornwall is a long county but most of it is umpteen miles from anywhere) that's 1800 miles pcm which, adding on 5% local use, equates to well over 20,000 miles per annum.

Any recommendations on a cheap motorway cruiser/cruncher for ..wait for it.. less than £4k

You won't get a modern fuel efficient eco/turbo petrol engine at this price so the obvious choice is an old small Peugeot or Ford diesel. For comfort, buy cushions for bum, back and arm support and travel with your duvet spread out over the rear of the car to help deaden the noise.

How about one of these?

Just an example but loads about with price between 3.5 to 4.5k under 80k miles on the clock
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308211040897

Thanks..I'll take a look

What are these like ? (Merc CLC petrol )

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309262390077

What are these like ? (Merc CLC petrol )

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309262390077

Awful! One of the worst Merc’s made at a real low point for the firm. I’d avoid any prestige brands at this money, most are substantially less reliable than mainstream models and parts are much more expensive. This isn’t a car I’d recommend despite the otherwise perfect seller - affluent address and longterm ownership.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/10/2023 at 17:19

I don’t know your search area but the likes of this would make a much better option than a poorly built old Merc.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310022591651
Didn’t think there would be an Avensis in good condition at this price, I would choose that over the Insignia
The Mazda 3 makes an excellent cheap used car. Simple chain driven engine, plenty of kit and good to drive.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310042667053

Always liked the mazda3 myself

Is the 1.6 not underpowered ?

Cheers

Cheers

Depends on your expectations/wants/needs.

A 1.6 Mazda 3 has 100bhp. Assuming either a MK3 or 4, the Golf would have either 60 or 75bhp. So while no rocketship, perfectly adequate for a motorway cruise.

Cheers

It’s not fast but it’ll get down the road ok, I’d go for reliability over performance but you can get them with a 2.0 petrol too which makes for a good combination. They’re much less common than the 1.6 but no less reliable. The joy of the Mazda 3 comes from the way it feels to drive, the steering, slick gear change and nimble handling combine to make it genuinely fun to drive. The only 3’s I’d avoid are the diesels and the rare 1.4 which is too weak for the car out of town.

Is the auto ok on the mazda 3 ?

also..whats the difference between these versions

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308010302934

and

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309011422947

“ Sorry I also meant the models look different but same year ?”

The newer face lifted car is mechanically basically the same, the paintwork was improved and they’re better at holding off rust than the pre facelift model and to me it’s a neater, more modern design. I’d buy on condition and history first though.

Yes, it’s a robust conventional torque converter transmission. But it’ll be thirstier and slower than the manual and you can’t get it with the 2.0 engine if I remember right. The manual box is one of the best I’ve ever driven, it’s a genuine delight to use.
Cheap motorway cruiser - Engineer Andy

Yes, it’s a robust conventional torque converter transmission. But it’ll be thirstier and slower than the manual and you can’t get it with the 2.0 engine if I remember right. The manual box is one of the best I’ve ever driven, it’s a genuine delight to use.

You're right - the first two generations of the Mazda3 only used the TC auto with the 1.6L petrol engine.

If I recall, having the auto added about 1.5 - 2 seconds to the 0-60 time, noting that the engine itself was remapped midway-ish through the gen-1 car's production to get a better CO2 emissions score (dropping two groups to band F for the manual version), which increased the 0-60 time from 11.2 to 12.2 sec for the manual version. Mine (the original engine spec) is fine on performance, but nothing more.

The auto was proportionably a lower on mpg and higher on the CO2, before and after the engine remap.

Unfortunately the OP's budget won't likely stretch to a gen-3 car, where the 2L petrol would come with an auto option and where the mpg and CO2 ratings are far better than before. I agree (from a test drive) that the TC auto box is very smooth - very useful for fuss-free urban driving in particular.

Not many Mazda3 autos around though - of any generation.

A cheeky offer could possibly grab a newer shape Mazda 6 with a bit of miles. These are tough and again there’s no timing belt, turbo or DPF to worry about. At say £4,500 this would be a lot of car for the money and if looked after 200k is perfectly possible.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310032628660
Cheap motorway cruiser - FiestaOwner
She bought a very cheap shed for the first two months which is underpowered and not very comfortable for that long journey

95% will be just sat on a motorway

Just some observations/ comments.

Don't know how old or which 1.4 engine is in her Golf. Older Golfs seem to have a choice of 75bhp or 90bhp engines. I'm assuming it's not a 1.4TSi. By today's standards, the 75bhp will feel underpowered, although the 90bhp should be acceptable. Performance shouldn't be too much of an issue though, if it's just cruising on a motorway.

Regarding not being comfortable. I've been in numerous Golfs and they've all had good, comfortable seats. Is the Golf just on standard wheels and standard profile tyres? Can you confirm that the suspension hasn't been lowered (by a previous owner)?

I see a Mazda 3 has been suggested, which is very much a drivers' car. However, a drivers' car usually has firmer suspension and therefore won't be so comfortable as a run of the mill Golf. This is in my opinion, of course.

Sometimes a comfortable car can be very much an individual thing. What posters on here think is comfortable, may not be what your daughter thinks is comfortable. Sometimes there is no substitute for trying a few different cars.

Thanks and all good points

I guess she wants to be able to get home feeling comfotable she hasnt been riding a horse for an hour and the idea of an auto is just to make it easier in those typical M5 cornwall queues

Enough power just to get a move on and not be stuck behind a tractor for 20miles lol

Re the golf, it simply that she had to have a car quickly so didnt check its history so it slow and potential big bills on the way

As you say it might be best to just go and test drive a few while she is cornwal

and

The difference is that the 2.0 has around 50% more power than the 1.6.

Both extremely reliable, but I'd guess as an auto, the 1.6 might feel a bit sluggish.

and

Both extremely reliable, but I'd guess as an auto, the 1.6 might feel a bit sluggish.

Thanks

But the auto box is ok on the mazda3 ?

and

Sorry I also meant the models look different but same year ?

Thanks

But the auto box is ok on the mazda3 ?

With regards to what?, I've already said both extremely reliable.

Sorry I also meant the models look different but same year ?

The 1.6 is the older shape, the 2.0 is the newer one. Don't think there is much difference under the skin. Given the latter is the newer shape, a 2.0 and (arguably) a nicer colour, there doesn't seem to be much argument for choosing the 1.6 to save a couple of hundred quid.

Cheap motorway cruiser - skidpan

IMHO the size of the car and size of the engine have little to do with making a good Motorway Cruiser. All modern cars can keep up a 70 mph cruise without breaking a sweat, our K12 Micra with a 1200cc engine with 80 PS was fine even though it was running at 3400 rpm at that speed, economy was fine as well. But the one feature that made us not use the Micra on long motorway trips was its lack of Cruise Control.

Over a 6 hour drive Cruise Control takes a good deal of stress away, far more than having a larger car of large engine. Our 1 litre TSi Fabia is fine over long distances simply because it is fitted with cruise.

Would never buy another car without it.

Cheap motorway cruiser - Engineer Andy

IMHO the size of the car and size of the engine have little to do with making a good Motorway Cruiser. All modern cars can keep up a 70 mph cruise without breaking a sweat, our K12 Micra with a 1200cc engine with 80 PS was fine even though it was running at 3400 rpm at that speed, economy was fine as well. But the one feature that made us not use the Micra on long motorway trips was its lack of Cruise Control.

Over a 6 hour drive Cruise Control takes a good deal of stress away, far more than having a larger car of large engine. Our 1 litre TSi Fabia is fine over long distances simply because it is fitted with cruise.

Would never buy another car without it.

I don't know - my sister often has done a lot of motorway miles as part of her job, and says that cruise control is a aste of time, because the regular changes in speed due to traffic build-up means you have to keep resetting it often.

Not so much of a problem if avoid the rush hours - problem with that is that these periods have got far bigger over the last 25 years.

I would say that a comfortable driving position is a must for a motorway cruiser - whatever works for the OP, when a (left foot rest) plus as much adjustment as they need for the driver's seat and steering wheel, and the latter and pedals not offset, as some still are.

A decent length test drive on a varuiety of representative roads/speeds would be in order. Too many people just do (or sometimes are allowed to by the selling dealer) a run around the locale of the dealership/seller, which is rarely enough, especially if they don't take their time to get the seat and steering wheel properly adjusted before they set off.

They won't notice problems either if the test drive isn't that long or representative for tehir driving pattern.

Cheap motorway cruiser - Adampr

I am another firm believer in cruise control. I drive up and down the motorway for work and have the cruise set over 90% of the time (at a guess).

It's particularly good when there are thumb controls on the steering wheel to adjust it up and down if needed.

I honestly don't know how I would drive on a motorway without it. Well, I do, probably at a slightly wandering speed like a lot of people I come across on my commute.

Cheap motorway cruiser - Big John

I am another firm believer in cruise control. I drive up and down the motorway for work and have the cruise set over 90% of the time (at a guess).

It's particularly good when there are thumb controls on the steering wheel to adjust it up and down if needed.

I honestly don't know how I would drive on a motorway without it. Well, I do, probably at a slightly wandering speed like a lot of people I come across on my commute.

Likewise, cruise control is a must for me now. It's really important when you are driving through low speed roadworks on the motorway with average speed cameras. We have a long section near us that's 30mph for age - yes on a motorway!

I myself prefer a bigger car on a motorway to avoid being pushed around by side winds / side draught from lorries. Refinement/comfort is important as well. My 2014 Superb is great on a motorway - mrs BJ's Panda is awful.

Cheap motorway cruiser - JonestHon

A Citroen C5 saloon or estate in Exclusive trim will be at your budget.

The ride is nice on these and diesel is what I would get for tha5 kind of milage.

The Pug 508 is also worth exploring.