Keep Mother sweet - SLO76
Recently I was tasked with replacing my mothers 2009 Honda Jazz 1.2 after it failed its Mot on structural rust. It’s been a reliable little car, but as with older Honda’s (especially in sunny Scotland) the rust has gotten hold and mother dear decided she didn’t have confidence in running about in a car which had been welded underneath. When my dad was alive they always had newish cars.

It was just a patch required but finding someone locally was a challenge and we were looking at 3/4 weeks wait to get the job done as no one seems interested in welding anymore. Plus the garage she bought it from and serviced it with offered her £1,500 for it as it was, which was pretty generous for a tatty 14yr old car with no MOT.

They sourced her a very nice 2017 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE in red with low mileage and full Honda history and a deal was struck. Other than a few scuff marks under the driver door handle where previous elderly owners rings had clumsily scratched the paint the wee car is immaculate.

As much as I do often recommend the Honda Jazz as a used purchase I didn’t like driving her Mk II. I found it dull to pilot and thought the ride was overly firm, especially considering it was utterly joyless to drive. I’ve now had cause to borrow it for a day while old Terrance the Toyota is in for new rear brake pipes for his Mot.

The newer car is however a much better little car all round. It’s a little bigger and the interior space noticeably improved, especially the boot. It’s a very practical thing. The ride quality is much improved and the general feel of the car on the road is a big step up over the previous gen car. It’s not fun like a Suzuki Swift or a Mazda 2 but it’s comfortable and pleasant enough to hustle along a twisting B road which revving that wee engine along using the quite enjoyable 6 speed manual gearbox, though grip is limited in the wet. Refinement is also a step above the old car.

All in all a much improved little car, more practical, great on fuel and well made. It’s still not my favourite small hatchback, the Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta 1.25 and Suzuki Swift all still drive better but I’d recommend one happily to anyone, especially those with nervous mothers in need of transport which won’t cause any grief - hopefully.
Keep Mother sweet - Xileno

Sounds like you've done her proud on the deal. The Scottish winters are certainly quite harsh on cars - my friend's 2008 Focus which spent its first six years in Aberdeen has needed both sills welding (last year I could pick bits off with my fingers and warned her of the likely work the MOT would find) and also one front wing is rotting to the extent it would hole if pushed. Mine which is older has no rust.