used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? - SUE HAYGARTH

my brother lives in Canada and as he ages wants to spend up to 5 months in UK during our milder winters. He wants to buy a used car - register and insure it for that time. He will be staying in a park home facility once he has purchased one. If he can't use that address can he register a car with DVLA. c/o my address? He has a permanent address in Canada. He passed his test in UK and is a UK and Canadian Citizen. Can he use my address for registration and insurance purposes? the car will have a SORN when he is in Canada and will be stored on my drive. Many thanks.

Edited by SUE HAYGARTH on 09/09/2023 at 14:56

used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see any problem with registering it at your address. Insurance could be expensive. Best bet is to buy a year’s cover and cancel when he returns to Canada . Obviously check the cancellation penalty first .
Can’t see any problem with registering it at your address. Insurance could be expensive. Best bet is to buy a year’s cover and cancel when he returns to Canada . Obviously check the cancellation penalty first .

thanks! will look into it .

used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? - Adampr

If he's planning on getting something nice, just get him to give you the money to buy and insure.it with him as a named driver. That way you can drive around in it in the summer...

I don't really think it's worth sorning and fiddling about with insurance for half the year

If he's planning on getting something nice, just get him to give you the money to buy and insure.it with him as a named driver. That way you can drive around in it in the summer...

I don't really think it's worth sorning and fiddling about with insurance for half the year

Yes, he has suggested that - one option thanks.

used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? - Brit_in_Germany

Insurance might be an issue if he is not resident in the UK - going through a broker might be worthwhile.

used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? Jo - elekie&a/c doctor
One of my sons lives in Germany, he has a British passport and the German residence card . ( aufenthaltstitel) . He had no problems insuring a car that I loaned him while he was in the UK for 3 months.
used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? Jo - Brit_in_Germany

They may have taken the money but was he excluded under the terms and conditions? For example, this is one of Direct Line's conditions:

"All drivers are at least 17 years of age, hold a valid UK or EU driving licence and are permanent UK residents"

used car purchase - No UK address - can brother buy a car? Jo - Bromptonaut

"All drivers are at least 17 years of age, hold a valid UK or EU driving licence and are permanent UK residents"

Which is why using a broker might be a good idea.

It is not, or at least should not be, difficult to get insurance for Ms Haygarth's brother. Mass market insurers like DL and those that cluster on comparison sites however keep it simple for themselves by trying to avoid anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks. I will find a local broker and ask about the process.