Any - Phone alert tomorrow - paul 1963

What's the thoughts on tomorrow's upcoming phone alert test?

Personally I think its a good thing....

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - Metropolis.
Good idea in general and fine with them testing it, hope once implemented it only gets used in genuine emergencies.
Any - Phone alert tomorrow - Xileno

I also think it's a good idea if used for emergencies, for example a natural disaster or terrorist incident. It's possible to opt out if people think there are other reasons for it.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - groaver

I am genuinely curious as to what emergency might warrant such alerts.

If Putin decides to go "Full Tonto" then it will only to be to warn you that you have minutes/seconds to live.

Manchester Arena incident. Might be useful to warn people not in the building to keep away. London Underground - similar case, warn people to not enter the station.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - Engineer Andy

Manchester Arena incident. Might be useful to warn people not in the building to keep away. London Underground - similar case, warn people to not enter the station.

Problem is that:

a) it could lead to a stamped in venues - far worse than using a 'cryptic' message via speakers in the venue to get people to leave (which often works well in stations to avoid panic, including the 'Inspector Sands' announcements;

b) it could cause other terrorists who have yet to carry out their attack to bring forward their timing, possibly killing more people before the police can take action to arrest / kill them and/or quietly evacuate people where possible.

Most, if not all LU stations already have emergency warning systems at the station entrance and gates/staff to stop people coming in.

Often in emerging circumstances, the wrong decision may be made to contact people or give incorrect /contradictory information.

Abroad, such systems are used where large populated areas or the nation suffers from frequent very serious natural events such as tidal waves, cyclones/hurricanes, volcanic eruptions or more recently, tornados. Not exactly frequent in the UK.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - alan1302

Abroad, such systems are used where large populated areas or the nation suffers from frequent very serious natural events such as tidal waves, cyclones/hurricanes, volcanic eruptions or more recently, tornados. Not exactly frequent in the UK.

The Netherlands has a system as well - hardly the largest place or one that has common natural disasters. One use that I have heard discussed was a fire at a cheical factory with people being advised to avoid the area and stay inside.

I see it as a useful tool to have - as long as it is used responsibly and not over used, although I don't see that happening as if it's overused then people will ignore the alerts which defeats the point of having it.

The Netherlands has a system as well - hardly the largest place or one that has common natural disasters. One use that I have heard discussed was a fire at a cheical factory with people being advised to avoid the area and stay inside.

I see it as a useful tool to have - as long as it is used responsibly and not over used, although I don't see that happening as if it's overused then people will ignore the alerts which defeats the point of having it.

To be fair, The Netherlands has a good deal of its major populated areas below sea level, and thus is susceptible to flooding in some extreme circumstances, rather like New Orleans in the US but likely far better prepared.

The problem is that 'being responsible' hasn't exactly been worldwide politicians' / governments' forte of late, has it? Especially when conveniently a certain legally-binding WHO treaty is up for adoption that would seemingly use such a system for far more than most people (MPs seemingly included) either realise or are willing to admit.

I also think it's a good idea if used for emergencies, for example a natural disaster or terrorist incident. It's possible to opt out if people think there are other reasons for it.

Alert! Alert! A huge meteor is about to hit the Earth / a nuke has just gone off 50 miles away - take avoiding action NOW! Note that the latter won't happen because it knocks out all the electronics even outside the blast wave for a considerable distance (EMP), so not much use.

Often after a terrorism attack, the mobile phone system is often overwhelmed, as it was after the 7/7 attacks in London, which was lucky to avoid. I'm not convinced by the reasons behind all this, given the lies told over the past few years about other so-called 'emergencies' and 'taking action', plus the lack of any notifications about genuine incidents like major traffic accidents and the consequences for travellers.

As such, I have deactivated my newest phone's 'emergency alert' system, not that I would be receiving this message live anyway, given I know when it's coming and I normally have my mobile switched off.

Note that apparently this 'alert test' only applies to 4G and above, not 3G and below, so anyone with older phones won't be alerted. Sounds rather discriminatory to me - only the better off who can afford newer 4G phones can get the alerts.

At least my elderly parents won't be bothered - they have a 2G phone, but (before I knew about what phones were affected) I did let them know anyway, just in case.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - alan1302

Note that apparently this 'alert test' only applies to 4G and above, not 3G and below, so anyone with older phones won't be alerted. Sounds rather discriminatory to me - only the better off who can afford newer 4G phones can get the alerts.

Can the alerts work on older 3G and 2G phones?

Reasons you will not get an alert

You will not receive alerts if your device is:

• turned off or in airplane mode
  • connected to a 2G or 3G network
  • wifi only
  • not compatible

www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work#compatible-devic...s

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - expat
I don't know if it is the same thing but we get SMS alerts from the local police for things like a missing person in our area perhaps elderly and demented or a non verbal autistic person. They also put out SMS bushfire alerts to evacuate an area. This is all done on a local basis and is not Statewide or National.
Any - Phone alert tomorrow - mcb100
There’s little benefit in sending the alert over 3G as that network will be switched off over the next couple of years, with Vodafone starting this year.
There surely can’t be many mobile users relying solely on a 3G device?
Looking further into it, 2G will be with us longer, up to 2033, as smart meters send their data via 2G.

Edited by mcb100 on 23/04/2023 at 09:15

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - sammy1

3G or not 3G that is the question! Marvellous invention for bumping into people or lamp posts and at the same time missing what else is going on around you I wonder if it will give me a warning of an overnight frost so I can protect my delicate seedlings!.

There’s little benefit in sending the alert over 3G as that network will be switched off over the next couple of years, with Vodafone starting this year. There surely can’t be many mobile users relying solely on a 3G device? Looking further into it, 2G will be with us longer, up to 2033, as smart meters send their data via 2G.

My 'second' of three mobiles phones, a NOKIA 620 is getting rather long in the tooth, but fine as an ordinary semi-dumb phone on cheapish PAYG (calling out plus free voicemail pickup) plus basic satv nav for my car (maps still updated but no traffic updates) and useful when out on my bicycle as it has GPS and route mapping. It's a 3G phone, and its age / defunct OS (Windows Phone 8.1) mean that most of its wifi/intenet based apps barely work, if at all.

I looked on it yesterday and couldn't find any 'emergency alert' system.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - FP

3 pm - phones around me screaming like mad. Mine is, and remains, silent.

On checking - yes, you realised - my phone is 3G. I'm a dinosaur after all.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - Adampr

Mine did nothing. Probably lack of signal.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - Crickleymal

Driving back from mid Wales wife's phone did the alert thing at 3pm. Mine didn't until 10 minutes later and then wife's phone went off again. It may have been a reception thing although her phone is the same as mine.

Any - Phone alert tomorrow - paul 1963

Mine did nothing. Probably lack of signal.

Strangely enough my phone remained silent while my wife's went off?

My son in Scotland got the alert twice, once at three and again at ten past?