Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - LuSc

Hello all,

I purchased a car from a dealer 5 days ago, since then I have noticed an issue with the o/s/f, making a noise. I booked it into a Nissan garage to have it looked at and received a report back that stated the front anti-roll bar bushes needed replacing and both o/s and n/s would need to be done, on top of that they also stated that the 12v battery was only at 50% capacity and there was an outstanding recall on the car. After gaining some further advice from CAB I was told that I had a short term right to reject, within 30 days under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. So, I did this under the 'unsatisfactory quality' clause of the Act.

I emailed the dealer, and explained the situation and exercised my right to reject under the CRA due to unsatisfactory quality. However, the dealer has rejected this. He has stated that the previous MoT had an advisory stating "slight play" in the anti-roll linkage ball joint and that the car was sold with this advisory, he also stated that on him seeking advice from Trading Standards, the battery is wear and tear and is currently functioning so this is not an issue and that he is unable to find any product recall and stated I should have sorted this with Nissan when I had booked it in to be checked the day prior. He also stated TS had advised him I had no grounds, whatsoever, to reject the vehicle.

Now, admittedly, I didn't check the MoT at the time of sale, but I can confirm it does have an advisory about slight play in the o/s/f linkage ball joint. But, this has gone from an advisory to now needing a repair. Also, the battery and recall issue. I again tried to get the issue resolved, again I was rejected.

Also, under the dealers own Ts&Cs, they state that "We’re confident in the quality of our used cars, thanks to our comprehensive preparation work. In the unlikely event you have an issue with your used car purchase, we have a policy in place for you to return the car within the first 30 days, which is hassle free." But when I enquired about this, I was informed "The car was sold in good faith, and the buy back policy we have in place is for people who have bought a car from us and have an issue that renders the car unusable/unsafe…". He advised me that the repairs can be done by them, and that this isn't an open-ended offer, is beyond fair, and if it is accepted at the end of this week (3 days'), at which point I presume such an offer won't be honoured.

Can I use my short term right to reject within the 30 day period, if the dealer is insisting the car was sold with the MoT advisory (which Nissan have informed needs replacing), or am I wrong?

Regards,

LS

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - Andrew-T

Tell us a bit more about the age and miles on the car ? It may affect what compensation you can reasonably expect.

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - LuSc

Hi,

Yes, it's a 2012 car with 40,000 miles.

Regards,

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - Brit_in_Germany

How old is the MOT? If it is recent, the seller would probably argue that there was nothing seriously wrong and the Nissan diagnosis was simply them trying to drum up business.

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - Brit_in_Germany

Also, if the recall is a safety recall it would be illegal for the car to be sold with this still present.

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - SLO76
You’re rejecting a 10yr old car because of an advisory noting a small amount of play in a ball joint (a very cheap component) and a 12v battery (£60/£80) that’s nearing the end of its life? I think you’re overreacting ever so slightly here and the dealer is right. If the battery is man enough to start the engine without issue and there’s no obvious sign of knocking from the suspension then where’s the problem?

Remember that main dealers (or s******s) are out to fleece you of every penny in your pocket. Of course they’d present a list of “urgent” work when you ask them to look over an older used car. I experienced the same when I took my old Avensis in to my local Toyota main dealer to diagnose a fault and they condemned the car with a list of “urgently needed” work and a quote of just under £2,000! The fault turned out to be a small hole in the exhaust where it had been badly fitted (fixed for free) and as for the rest of their “urgently needed” work, well the car passed an Mot a few days later with a trusted local independent without a single advisory.

I’ve experienced this sort of thing before with older used cars I’ve sold. An otherwise very well maintained car with no real faults is condemned by a greedy and dishonest main dealers workshop. I represent it to my workshop and they can’t find anything wrong other than the normal wear and tear expected on a used car. This is most likely the case here. Your Nissan dealer is at it, they want your money. If the car feels ok, it looks ok and it starts ok then it’ll most likely be perfectly fine. You cannot however expect a 10yr old car to be without any wear.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/03/2022 at 21:28

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - Xileno

I would be more concerned about the outstanding recall. Did the Nissan garage say what it related to?

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - 72 dudes

Note to SLO - a Nissan Leaf doesn't have an engine to start, so even less of a problem with the battery!

Agree with others here to an extent. Legal action is OTT

Get the supplying garage to change the ball joints. I agree that there shouldn't be any knocking on a car you've just bought.

Depends on what the recall is as to what I would do.

Battery - buy another, although being for an EV it maybe more than SLO's estimate.

“ Note to SLO - a Nissan Leaf doesn't have an engine to start, so even less of a problem with the battery!”

Ha, good point. I was away on a hybrid fantasy. The 12v battery just runs the cars normal electrical system and isn’t to be mistaken for the EV battery pack, the cost of which would be crippling.

“ Battery - buy another, although being for an EV it maybe more than SLO's estimate.”

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lion-075-car-battery-3-year-guarantee-444770751

Edited by SLO76 on 09/03/2022 at 21:33

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - Gibbo_Wirral

“ Battery - buy another, although being for an EV it maybe more than SLO's estimate.”

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lion-075-car-battery-3-year-guarantee-444770751

The OP has enough problems, don't laden him down with more by buying a Lion battery!

Nissan Leaf - Refusal of Short Term Right to Reject - pd

I agree with SLO76 and disagree with CAB.

A 10 year old car with a worn ARB and an iffy 12v battery is miles away from any right to reject.

Either live with it or replace the ARB is my view.