Lowered kerb without permit - Lindsay McKechnie

Hi my previous neighbour extended his lowered kerb, driveway at side of house, to give additional access to the front of his house, without getting council permission. I have a 1 car permitted driveway at the front of my house, however have more than 1 car in the household. Until the house next door was sold I parked my car across the start of the illegally lowered kerb. New owner has now placed a no parking across driveway sign.

As the part I have been parking across the non permit lowered kerb and previous owner was still able to park 3 cars at the front I didn't see it as a problem. Now I am not sure where I stand legally. Oh I live in Scotland so not sure if that makes a difference legally.

Advice would be appreciated

Lowered kerb without permit - _

Ask the local council if the kerb was lowered leaglly.

They can then take action.

Lowered kerb without permit - Middleman

In England & Wales only the local authority can carry out work on the highway (which constructing or extending a "crossover" entails). If it's done by anybody other than a LA sub-contractor the work has to be done by an authorised contractor and many LA's require a bond to be lodged to cover any future problems with the construction. There is also a maximum width of an access point in normal circumstances. My LA sets this at 3.8m. Contact your local authority and get them to sort it out.

Edited by Middleman on 19/02/2022 at 22:38

Lowered kerb without permit - concrete

In England & Wales only the local authority can carry out work on the highway (which constructing or extending a "crossover" entails). If it's done by anybody other than a LA sub-contractor the work has to be done by an authorised contractor and many LA's require a bond to be lodged to cover any future problems with the construction. There is also a maximum width of an access point in normal circumstances. My LA sets this at 3.8m. Contact your local authority and get them to sort it out.

The law of unintended consequences applies to this situation. At my previous address the contractors were approved by the LA, this unfortunately is no guarantee of quality. Simply confirms the fact they are insured and have a bond guarantee. This led to a bit of a cartel and the prices were extortionate. The contractors who did two dropped kerbs in the road were very poor and the jobs looked very average with uneven kerb stones and water pooling after rain. I would never have considered using them for my kerb. The council could not have cared less. Despite working in construction for 50 years and having direct experience of this type of work I was not allowed to execute the work myself. So i used a ramp. problem solved. Better no drop kerb than a badly installed one!!!!

Cheers Concrete

Lowered kerb without permit - bathtub tom

If you installed a ramp yourself, doesn't that put you in contravention of the LA rules and liable for any claims caused as a result of the ramp?

Lowered kerb without permit - Engineer Andy

If you installed a ramp yourself, doesn't that put you in contravention of the LA rules and liable for any claims caused as a result of the ramp?

I presume concrete means a (temporary) strong plank of wood or suchlike, not laying some...concrete...to make a permanent one.

Lowered kerb without permit - bathtub tom

That would mean laying a plank of wood or suchlike, in the road, adjacent to the kerb. Could lead to a claim if someone ran over it and claimed it damaged their car.

Lowered kerb without permit - concrete

That would mean laying a plank of wood or suchlike, in the road, adjacent to the kerb. Could lead to a claim if someone ran over it and claimed it damaged their car.

Sorry for the very late reply. The ramp was a temporary one made from timber. Not very large or obtrusive and allowed the wheels to ascend the kerb smoothly. We were at the bottom of a cul-de-sac so there was no traffic driving adjacent to kerb or ramp. It simply solved a problem for me and I was able to avoid using poor quality contractors and a resultant poor standard of construction.

Cheers

Concrete

Lowered kerb without permit - Gibbo_Wirral

A lot of councils will say that this isn't enough though. They need to verify that the pavement the car is travelling over to get on and off the drive is up to the job and there are no hidden objects underneath that may get damaged.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45225045

Lowered kerb without permit - ohsoslow

If done correctly through your Local Authority / Highways they will insist on the works being undertaken by an authorised contractor. (This is according to our LA and I assume would be the same everywhere).

Their work is guaranteed though I cannot remember for how long.