1997 Taiwan Honda Accord - Suspension High Rear Left After Jacking - edlithgow

Just noticed this.

Hasn''t been driven since I had the wheels off last week. About 4 inches higher.

Can't remember ever seeing that before. Presumably suspension or shocks are sticky and havn't settled normally.

Hoping it'll go away when driven.

Is it likely to indicate a serious issue?.

1997 Taiwan Honda Accord - Suspension High Rear Left After Jacking - Bolt

Just noticed this.

Hasn''t been driven since I had the wheels off last week. About 4 inches higher.

Can't remember ever seeing that before. Presumably suspension or shocks are sticky and havn't settled normally.

Hoping it'll go away when driven.

Is it likely to indicate a serious issue?.

A damper can lock in place when badly worn, but normally when a spring goes the spring breaks/weakens and becomes shorter.

Sounds like you need a new shock, they don`t normally free off once they are stuck, I have not seen many do it and those I have will not move, others may know different

Thanks

That's a bit awkward since it isn't actually my car, so as far as the owners concerned, I broke it with my eccentric fiddling about that foreign fiddlers call "maintenance".

He probably won't care much though.

GF wasn't keen on taking it over, and when I looked into taking it over myself it appeared the owner had let the registration lapse, which as far as I can tell is irreversible. Owes more in back-tax than its scrappage value, so its a zombie.

In these circumstances I'm not keen on spending anything on it beyond a bit of fluid for a brake flush, and some minimal rust treatment.

Oh, and insurance, which I'm told is still possible, though that seems a bit surprising and may not be true.

Pity though. Still very smooth and shiny by my standards.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/11/2020 at 01:45

You could try jacking it up on suspension rather than jacking point and see if that jolts the shock back to normal, the weight of the car might be enough to do it, just a thought and might work?

You could try jacking it up on suspension rather than jacking point and see if that jolts the shock back to normal, the weight of the car might be enough to do it, just a thought and might work?

I was planning to try going over a speed bump a few times, though perhaps that could be damaging.

I'll try your suggestion if \I can see a suitable jack location point on the suspension.

I never actually use jacking points. For this I used a fairly substantial-looking subframe stylee part of the suspension, but perhaps it wasn't substantial enough and I distorted it enough to pinch a moving part. Looked OK though.

I'll have another look, though if that;s what happened I probably can't fix it now anyway.

I was planning to try going over a speed bump a few times, though perhaps that could be damaging.

I'll try your suggestion if \I can see a suitable jack location point on the suspension.

I never actually use jacking points. For this I used a fairly substantial-looking subframe stylee part of the suspension, but perhaps it wasn't substantial enough and I distorted it enough to pinch a moving part. Looked OK though.

I'll have another look, though if that;s what happened I probably can't fix it now anyway.

A jack on the suspension should have the desired effect, whereas a speed bump is gradual as far as suspension is concerned, unless its a short sharp bump as supermarkets use

wouldn`t it be strange if a bump did something useful like free off a damper ;) wouldn`t moan about one ever again lol