BMW M4 - BMW M4 Seat Issue - Bs19
Hi,

New to the forum.

I have a 2019 BMW M4 Competition Pack. I’ve had the car a year and all is well, apart from the double sided sticky tape not holding the M4 grill badge on fully.

A few days ago, whilst cleaning the car, I moved the passenger seat forward, firstly using the mechanical back release and then the convenience button on the top of the seat. After a few seconds of it moving, I heard a loud crack. The seat had impacted the from windscreen and cracked it!!

I couldn’t quite believe my eyes to be honest! I moved the seat back and watched the windscreen move back into place.

Obviously shocked by this, I took the car immediately to my local service shop and was told the car couldn’t be fit in for 2 weeks or 6 if I want a courtesy car. They suggested calling BMW Assist.

A tow truck later and an overnight stay in a compound and my M4 was at the same service centre I visited. They called me later that day and told me that there was no fault, that the windscreen had a chip which has caused the crack. This is not true.

I returned to the service centre to demonstrate that the seat impacts and pushes the glass, exactly where the crack was. The manager came out and immediately said “that’s not a chip, that’s a fault, it will be repaired under warranty”.

I left the vehicle with them once again. Today they called to tell me that BMW have said there is no fault and I will need to replace the windscreen at a cost of £1000+. I took the vehicle to a reputable windscreen repair shop and they immediately said there was a seat fault, it shouldn’t touch the screen. Returned to BMW and demonstrated that the driver side stops 1cm short. The seat is faulty.

I've been left now with no car as it is sat at the service centre until Monday when they will “try again” with BMW.

Anyone had any issues with this or have any help!? I’m at the end of my tether and I’m astonished BMW are treating customers like this.

I’ve attached some photos, the last one is both seats in there most forward and highest position with the selector. Something doesn’t look right!!!

ibb.co/jz5tH9y
ibb.co/TkY7gzM
ibb.co/z29Sw0N
ibb.co/8N9WZ7j
BMW M4 - BMW M4 Seat Issue - daveyjp

You need another owner to compare their car and see if it is 'normal'.

If you haven't done so post your query on an owners club website and see if another owner can assist.

BMW M4 - BMW M4 Seat Issue - Andrew-T

I'm trying to imagine the layout of a car which would need its seats to get anywhere near the windscreen - and be powered strongly enough to damage it. What ever are those German designers thinking of ?