Scam calls - Zippy123
We (me, my parents and in-laws) have been receiving a flood if scam calls purporting to be from TV licensing or Amazon over the last few days.

Almost got my mother in law as she returned a package to Amazon in the last week and they started the call with “we would like to process a refund to your account”!

Be on your guard and let your nearest know to be on their guard.
Scam calls - concrete

Good advice. They are so plausible and catch the unwary. Luckily our neighbourhood watch monitor these activities via the community Facebook and we regularly receive e mails with specific warnings regarding the currents scams. Just wish there was a way to track down these low life scumbags. Cheers Concrete

Scam calls - galileo
We (me, my parents and in-laws) have been receiving a flood if scam calls purporting to be from TV licensing or Amazon over the last few days. Almost got my mother in law as she returned a package to Amazon in the last week and they started the call with “we would like to process a refund to your account”! Be on your guard and let your nearest know to be on their guard.

We have a call-blocker which came pre-set with 200 known scam numbers and any others you receive can be permanently blocked with a button press.

It also shows the number that called, I check this with a site entitled "Who called me?" where call details can be posted by others who have been called by the number.

Since installing the blocker the frequency of nuisance and scam calls dropped by 90%.

Scam calls - Falkirk Bairn

SKY Shield - 100% - no scam calls in 3 years

It's not an add-on at £xx per month but included in your rental

10/10

Mind you I get scam calls on the mobile - recent accidents, your Sky box maintenance agreement........................

Scam calls - Andrew-T

I get almost no spam emails, but today a phone call came in purporting to be from HMRC. Perhaps lockdown is starting to wear off ?

Scam calls - Engineer Andy

Some local criminals are pretending to be DPD delivery drivers to try and scam people, especially OAPs.

My mum and dad have in the past (not recently) had people phoning up pretending to be from Microsoft. They almost got scammed until me and my sister got involved and stopped them.

At least during the pandemic I've received FAR less spam emails. That's something, I guess.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 07/07/2020 at 08:38

Scam calls - sammy1

When you get a scam call you know the telephone number. Someone must be traceable to that number ie someone is paying the bill somewhere. Why can't the police, action fraud or even GCHQ track these down even from abroad where some originate. It is the same with the internet, dodgy *mirror* sites like the DVLA on road tax and many others. You hardly ever see or hear that the authorities have closed these down. It seems that Action Fraud was set up to take the pressure of the police but what do they do other than log a complaint. It is almost as though the whole thing is allowed as part of the greater economy, someone is making money at the expense of others so there is turnover in the general scheme of things.

Scam calls - thunderbird

It seems that Action Fraud was set up to take the pressure of the police but what do they do other than log a complaint.

Isn't that what the Police do? When you ring them they give you a Crime Number to enable you to claim any losses from your insurers.

Where we used to live there was a number of cars vandalised on the street and no action was taken. That was until the retired policeman (ex detective) had his and his wifes cars damaged one evening, the next day SOCO were there in huge numbers.

It seems that Action Fraud was set up to take the pressure of the police but what do they do other than log a complaint.

Isn't that what the Police do? When you ring them they give you a Crime Number to enable you to claim any losses from your insurers.

Where we used to live there was a number of cars vandalised on the street and no action was taken. That was until the retired policeman (ex detective) had his and his wifes cars damaged one evening, the next day SOCO were there in huge numbers.

I had to laugh at that one. A lot of those Quangos are a waste of space, and as you say, the Police aren't much help unless you are either an important somebody, a member of the media or on their list of 'priorities' of the month.

Often ordinary people end up either having to endure or investigate the crime themselves. I tried to report an attempted ransomware attack (some nasty piece of work had hacked a firm I'd bought something from [probably a high street store] and got my email address, and tried to extort £1k to 'not give it to X or Y' or reveal the contents of my web cam (I don't have one).

Both Plod and the online reporting website for fraud etc was a waste and they didn't want to know, just giving 'advice' on what not to do generally, even though it wasn't my security that had been breached.

Scam calls - alan1302

I had to laugh at that one. A lot of those Quangos are a waste of space, and as you say, the Police aren't much help unless you are either an important somebody, a member of the media or on their list of 'priorities' of the month.

Often ordinary people end up either having to endure or investigate the crime themselves. I tried to report an attempted ransomware attack (some nasty piece of work had hacked a firm I'd bought something from [probably a high street store] and got my email address, and tried to extort £1k to 'not give it to X or Y' or reveal the contents of my web cam (I don't have one).

Both Plod and the online reporting website for fraud etc was a waste and they didn't want to know, just giving 'advice' on what not to do generally, even though it wasn't my security that had been breached.

Not surprised they were not interested in a single report of a ransomaware attack - millions of them are occuring at any moment and it only works by closing down who is running them - who will generally be overseas so untouchable.

Not surprised they were not interested in a single report of a ransomaware attack - millions of them are occuring at any moment and it only works by closing down who is running them - who will generally be overseas so untouchable.

Hopefully all the scammers, hackers, spammers and reansomware attackers are down with COVID at the moment. May they stay that way.

Scam calls - Andrew-T

When you get a scam call you know the telephone number.

Not necessarily - it may be Withheld.

Scam calls - RT

When you get a scam call you know the telephone number. Someone must be traceable to that number ie someone is paying the bill somewhere. Why can't the police, action fraud or even GCHQ track these down even from abroad where some originate. It is the same with the internet, dodgy *mirror* sites like the DVLA on road tax and many others. You hardly ever see or hear that the authorities have closed these down. It seems that Action Fraud was set up to take the pressure of the police but what do they do other than log a complaint. It is almost as though the whole thing is allowed as part of the greater economy, someone is making money at the expense of others so there is turnover in the general scheme of things.

I don't know how they do it but the number that shows in Caller Id is a fake one when it's a scam - they usually originate abroad where UK authorities can't enforce.

Scam calls - Bolt

I don't know how they do it

iirc, its done using _voice over internet protocol_ or Voip. which they are talking about going over to instead of landline, then using software allowing the number dialled in to be the scam number or bridging the connection to a real number

I think thats what they do?

Scam calls - alan1302

If they are overseas which most of these are how will the UK government close them down?

Scam calls - Zippy123

When you get a scam call you know the telephone number. Someone must be traceable to that number ie someone is paying the bill somewhere. Why can't the police, action fraud or even GCHQ track these down even from abroad where some originate.

I called every number back, all dead lines. They fake the numbers that appear on your phone somehow.

Scam calls - Zippy123

I don't officially work in a bank branch, but pop in to the local one if all the kids are home for somewhere quiet to work.

We have (elderly) customers come in to withdraw cash. Often accompanied by someone.

It's obvious to the staff when the withdrawals are out of character and the bank question the customer.

The customer is told by the crook that the money should be taken out and handed to a courier who will take it to the police as they want to catch the crooked bank staff.

The cashier and manager takes the customer to a small room and calls the police with a code word (standard UK wide) and they are supposed to turn up and explain to the customer that they are being robbed. They do most of the time but not always and sometimes the customer thinks the police officers that turn up are in it with the supposedly crooked bank staff

Often we have to suspend the customer's bank as they are about to hand over their life's savings.

Other times the customer will turn up with "builders" to withdraw tens of thousands for a new roof or to repair some guttering. Again, the police are always called.

I've had to call them with the password when I was visiting a branch of a different bank and an elderly customer was being helped to their cash by another party, much younger and clearly not a relative. The bank staff didn't think anything was wrong. Apparently it was for "care home fees" and was for a few thousand. The amount was probably right but not the method.

Scam calls - Andrew-T

I called every number back, all dead lines. They fake the numbers that appear on your phone somehow.

I wonder how they 'fake a number' without faking a real one ?

Scam calls - Bolt

I wonder how they 'fake a number' without faking a real one ?

Using pc software to copy a real phone number as I mentioned above, check YouTube for scamming, India has loads of offices with roughly 30 plus scammers, they use offices behind real offices so they are not noticed.

it doesn't cost anything for the software as they use trialware until the trial runs out then makes a new email address and runs the software again, there is more than one program for running scam phone numbers and software to run your pc remotely

it has been seen for them to change software as you/they use it to gain access to your bank account, all they have to do is persuade usually older people to use it by saying they have a virus OR they want to give a refund, whole other story with that part which Youtubers are annoying them now

I forgot to mention BEWARE of Ransomware, as they have now found a way to get to any backups online you have, so keep backups disconnected from pc and off line in case it hits, I know its been discussed before but I dont think it infected backups on the cloud or online Disks before but could be wrong

I gather a Youtuber has located certain offices by hacking their systems, also reported to there local Police, but as he mentioned they dont appear to be interested

Edited by bolt on 08/07/2020 at 10:01

Scam calls - Zippy123

I gather a Youtuber has located certain offices by hacking their systems, also reported to there local Police, but as he mentioned they dont appear to be interested

I would not be surprised if they turn a blind eye as it’s a big income generator for local people. Also, I guess some of this is state sponsored like hacking is.

Edited by Zippy123 on 08/07/2020 at 14:58