Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - Dunsten

My car Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost 2012 onwards model is making a tapping noise heaed from the engine bay.

Reg YD62ZGN

Please help to to diagnose this problem.

Please see the youtube video for the engine sound.

youtu.be/a5P_XASHC5Q

youtu.be/ZIMDexAZSUo

Thanks

Dunsten

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - elekie&a/c doctor
Have you checked your engine oil level ?

Yes. I serviced my car and did a health check, by Ford Dealer. They suggested that the noise comes from Turbo. Then I replaced the Turbo. But the sound is still there. Sound didn't go away.

Please help.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - galileo

Yes. I serviced my car and did a health check, by Ford Dealer. They suggested that the noise comes from Turbo. Then I replaced the Turbo. But the sound is still there. Sound didn't go away.

Please help.

Turbos don't make tapping noises, screeches and whines, perhaps.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like something not very well at the top of the engine . The noise is relative to the rotational speed of the engine. Lots of components turning in this area . I would get the oil pressure tested .
Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - gordonbennet

I know not the first thing about these vehicles, but the engine rocking around like it is suggests to me its not running properly on all cylinders, whether thats tappet/valve/timing gear related i don't know.

Suggest compression test first of all, and get it diagnosed on some good equipment.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - galileo

I know not the first thing about these vehicles, but the engine rocking around like it is suggests to me its not running properly on all cylinders, whether thats tappet/valve/timing gear related i don't know.

Suggest compression test first of all, and get it diagnosed on some good equipment.

On the OP's previous experience I'd avoid the Ford Dealer who cost him an unnecessary turbo.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - gordonbennet

On the OP's previous experience I'd avoid the Ford Dealer who cost him an unnecessary turbo.

Good point :-)

Thanks for the replies so far. I will do a oil pressure test OR compression test. Then, I will update you.

It was the piston broken in the engine. Thanks all for your advice. Never be a fan of 1.0 EcoBoost

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost tapping noise from engine - Ian D
-

Edited by Ian D on 07/11/2020 at 22:11