What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Volkswagen Golf handbrake failure
My daughter bought a Volkswagen Golf 2009 1.6 manual from a Volkswagen dealer with a one year parts guarantee. Shortly afterwards the handbrake failed while the car was parked and it rolled back into a hedge without damage. A service was due and she took it to another VW dealer, telling them about the handbrake problem.

The service and MOT were done and 6 weeks later the handbrake failed again, but on this occasion it ran into another car causing damage. The car was not in gear on either occasion. There is evidence that the handbrake was found to be on in the second incident, when she was accompanied to the car. The second dealer has denied liability saying the handbrake met specification when the service and MOT were done.

This sounds like an intermittent fault. Is there any VW history about Golf handbrake failures? If not what chance has she got in making a claim to VW and how does she go about it? Dealer or importer?

Asked on 15 October 2012 by golspie

Parking brakes often fail on rear discs as the discs cool. You should always follow the Highway Code advice of leaving the car in 1st or reverse gear on any kind of slope.