WIN: A mega bundle of Christmas prizes - worth more than £1000! Click here to enter | No thanks

Punto gearbox problem
I have a Grande Punto. When I put it in 3rd it some times slips out, but not all the time.

That is the only gear it does it in, went to the garage and they took it for a spin but it never did it and they haven't a clue what's up.

They have told me to bring it in - could be a new box is needed which at this time of the year I can't afford really. Could it be a simple thing and cheaper?

Asked on 2 January 2012 by maleb

One of the gearsets has slipped slightly down one of the rods. Requires dismantling of the gearbox to fix it, which is expensive, so try to live with it or offload the car.