WIN: A mega bundle of Christmas prizes - worth more than £1000! Click here to enter | No thanks

Bore and stroke
Please can you give us any advice regarding a problem with the Toyota Avensis? Earlier this year we noticed our car was using a lot of oil and our son subsequently discovered on the Toyota Owners Club site that there is indeed a problem and the short engine needs to be changed. This problem was well known to Toyota, but because our car was 2 months outside the 7-year warranty they refuse to finance this expensive work. Our car, an 02 registration, has done 67,000 miles and has always been regularly serviced at a Toyota garage yet at no time were we given any intimation that there could be a problem. We are now faced with a bill of at least £1,450. My husband is very elderly and this is worrying him sick. It is making him quite ill and therefore we must have the work done if only to alleviate his anxiety. I would be so grateful for your opinion and comments.

Asked on 27 March 2010 by G.M., Crookham

It's covered at: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-1997/ While I empathise with your plight, the car is more than 7 years old and the design life of Japanese cars is only 7 years. That's why, though Toyota extended the warranty, there is a sharp cut-off point. The fact that Japanese cars are generally so good that many owners make them last twice their design life does not impose any obligation on manufacturers to make every part of the car last more than 7 years. More is no more than a bonus.