Fuel Calc Native

Native Subscribe5

Deals Of The Week

Halifax _NH3

Mot Files

Cfs Native

Real Mpg Native

The 7 Year Glitch
I have just retired and would like to buy a new car that will last me at least 15 years in the price range £17,000 to £22,000 and wondered what your recommendations would be. I have been looking at Mercedes A and B Class, Volkswagen Golf range and the Volvo S40.

Asked on 20 March 2010 by M.B., via e-mail

The only car I have driven recently that I felt would so 500,000 miles was a basic model W204 Mercedes C200 CDI Classic SE 6-speed manual. (The C200CDI does not seem to have had the injector problems of the C220CDI.) Bit more than £22,000 unless you buy 2nd hand. Most cars these days are built to last 7 - 8 years and, while most owners make them last longer, a major failure at 8 years old or more can cost more than the car is worth to repair.