Chast iced
I would appreciate your advice. I have a Land Rover Discovery 3 fitted with standard mud and snow all-weather tyres. I have two or three ski trips planned and have heard that winter snow tyres would meet my needs in most conditioners avoiding chains. Is it best to fit these rather than all weather tyres? If I stick with the current tyres and take snow chains there appears to be controversy on which wheels to fit the chains and Land Rover says only its more expensive, chains are suitable. What is the problem of using winter tyres in summer?

Asked on 27 February 2010 by G.P., via e-mail

Winter compound tyres are softer, so expel the snow from the tread better. That's why they work in low temperatures. But being softer they will wear more rapidly and reduce fuel economy in summer.