What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Vauxhall Omega 1994

2.2 DTi CDX

reviewed by MondeoMonkeyMagic on 6 August 2015
Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Brillant Banger

I have always had bangers, although the term now defines a completely different car to that I started out buying which used to leak oil and or breakdown.

My car, a 52 plate CDX (get me..) has all the toys I could wish for and many I don't even need or use. But I do like the xenon headlights with powerwash, the electric sliding or tilting sunroof and the central door locking which has a faulty siolenoid on the passenger door which doesn't open. The solution - to lean over an pull up the button..... The seat are comfy and heated. The car feels solid although a quick review of the NCAP on youtube shows it isn't that solid, but it is fit for my purpose.

The real killer is that I have run this car for two years now and it hasn't coughed or broken down once. It doesn't leak oil, was servied every 10K before I bought it (Vauxhall specify every 20K) and has a indecent turn of speed when I very rarely need it.

It also sound like a bag of spanners when started every morning but I don't care. It has the same amount of rust on it as my neighbours E class Merc which he bought band new in 02 for £40K and I paid £1K for my trusty Omega.

Bangers have much to recommend them nowadays and if you avoid any common rail diesel you are basically saving yourself a pot of money provided you can live with the image.

Omega - what an apt name after all these years

Report as offensive