Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - otter valley

Dear Sir,

Each year I have a full service and MOT on the car. This was done two weeks ago. During the service routine the engineer gets me to buy a winter seasonal service as well.

I point out that if the car is getting a full service then anything done in the seasonal winter service would surely be covered.

The sales assistant says that on a winter seasonal service they check all aspects of the battery and not just the terminals of the battery as in a full service. He admitted that most of the other checks would be covered in the full service. I tell them to go ahead with it (!?) on the basis that the battery will be checked all over and not just the terminals.

This is Sandicliffe of Nottingham Hucknall garage.

I know I am being ripped off and I argue with them that the full service should surely cover the whole of the blooming battery for heavens sake! However I am just greeted by a shrug of the shoulders, and of course, as a conscientious motorist I want the battery fully checked out for winter. .

Any comments? I have tried other ford franchises in Nottingham.

NB: The car is now 8 years old but performs very well, hence my keeping it. (Not to mention that it is a better fit in my single garage than the larger bodied versions of the same make and model and later year).

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - Paul87

I wouldn't bother with the seasonal service next year. The only other thing I could think of you could look at with a batt is either the electrlyte level (if its not a sealed unit, do they have these on cars anymore?) or carry out a cap check.

My dealer tries to get me to buy all manner of fuel additives and engine flushes when my car goes for servicing. Best way to avoid your battery failing is to repalce it every few years.

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - RT

Best way to avoid your battery failing is to replace it every few years.

Best way is to use the car regularly - that way the alternator is always keeping the battery at it's optimum level - although it does depend on the quality of battery fitted as original.

I found Vauxhall fully-sealed batteries lasted for ever, into double figures of years in two cases, while a Subaru non-sealed one lasted just two years.

A seasonal check is totally superfluous for a car that's properly serviced - it's just a way of workshops getting extra revenue and then even more by selling you an over-priced battery, etc that you don't really need.

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - galileo

I'd imagine you could buy a new battery for the price they charge for a "winter service".

Thank you for the replies to this thread asking for help on this in March. Sorry for delay. I will know now what to say. I tend to be one of those people who went along with what they say.

Whilst writing there were two other things they wanted me to do:

Replace heat shield around exhaust as the mountings are carroded. Car is 8 years old. They want to charge me £73.00 pounds for doing this.

Also they say there is a buckling on the two rear wheels, not bad enough to fail the MoT. And the replacement wheels would cost a total of £300.00 plus to do.

I have not actioned either at the moment. They put the buckling down to pot holes by the wayl. Rather vague statement.

I have not actioned either request at the moment.

Sorry forget to say also that the battery is the original one fitted to car from new. I do not have a problem with it as such, but I take on board what you say about the vauxhall car batteries.

Thanks.

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - oldtoffee

If the wheels are buckled I'd imagine there's a chance they'd be out of balance which you might notice when driving. £73 is less than an hours work to sort out the heat shield so perhaps not too bad "if" it needs doing.

On a general note I'd prefer to give my money to a good Ford independent rather than a franchise. They're usually better value and more reasonable on issues like checking items off the service schedule and they don't go looking for ways to spend your money. May be worth your time checking out some Ford forums for recommendations.

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - Armitage Shanks {p}

As an aside, I would have thought that if you have sustained enough damage, from potholes, to buckle your wheels it would be worth wondering if the tyres are still OK

Many garages and other outlets offer a free or very cheap "Winter Check". I posted earlier that I had put my car into a main dealer for a minor job and they gave me a Free Safety Check which told me that I needede to spend £480 on repairs , they had the parts in stock and could take the car in the next day! Took it to my local franchsie and was told there was nothing that need even looking at again until the next MOT, in October. NO garage service is truly free, IMO

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - Robert J.
Hi otter valley. There is not much choice of ford dealers in Nottingham other than the one you mention. I was not happy at the way they tried to flog me stuff that I did not need at service time either. I tried the dealer at Lowdham just outside Nottingham and found them to be fine. They pointed out a new tyre would be required in a few months and quoted a price, but no hard sell. I would give them a try if you want to stay with ford dealers.

Thank you all for the further advice and I will certainly, for instance, consider using the one at Lowdham.

Other points raised:

As for the steering with possible buckled wheels. I have not noticed anything wrong at all as such.

The heat sheald around the exhaust area looks alright to me when I am underneath but I am not a mechanic. Though I have owned cars before, namely a Ford Sierra estate, a mini clubman, and a Vauxhal Victor 101 FC (in the 1970s the latter vehicle).

I have also been underneath to see if, around the exhaust, there is any movementr in the mountings and could not decern any.

As for tyre condition, all four were replaced by ATS about 13 months ago now and there does not appear to be any uneven wear or scuffing. Also the wear on all four tyres appears to be even in depth to all corners of the car.

Thanks for all the advice being received on this forum. Mine is a case where I suppose I could look to part exchange the vehicle but it is not economic to do so as I try to use public transport as much as possible given the cost of petrol. But that, as they say is another argument and I am not trying to create a string or thread on that topic!

Regards.

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - Armitage Shanks {p}

I would 100% recomend using a small franchised dealer, rather than a glass and chrome main Dealer. In my area I have had 4 your years execellent technical service and courtesy from both a Peugeot and a Ford dealer; both family owned.I have just bough a 2nd hand Ford from my local dealer. Keen price, sold new by them and serviced by them for the last 6 years. The workshop foreman knows everything that has ever been done to the car and, obviously, they have the full service history there too.

Ford Zetec. 3 door. Petrol 2004 reg. - Annual servicing by Ford - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

What's the point of 'testing' a battery if everything is working properly? It's when you get a fault which may or may not be caused by a dodgy battery that you start testing things!