kia sorento 2006 2.5 diesel auto - black smoke on acceleration - Craigh

Intermittent black smoke on acceleration. No loss of power, temp OK, no engine management lights. Also, slight roughness when started from cold for a very short time.

PS: 69000 miles on clock. I am doing long journeys to London and back to Blackpool every weekend and only noticed the smoke last Thursday.

Any ideas anyone?

kia sorento 2006 2.5 diesel auto - black smoke on acceleration - injection doc

Clogged air filter or sticking EGR valve ,

or the start of injector issues normally caused by a delaminating fuel tank !

If you google

delamiating fuel tank Kia ! but this normally starts with blocked fuel filters !

Thanks for the advice. Tried the air filter first..... Absolutely clogged up. Hoovered it for a temp fix while a new one comes. Touch wood, it seems to have worked (fingers crossed)

I have only had the car a couple of weeks, the garage were meant to have serviced it before I collected it. Not taking any chances, so have booked it in for a full service with my usual mechanic. I will still have the EGR valve checkd though.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the advice. Tried the air filter first..... Absolutely clogged up. Hoovered it for a temp fix while a new one comes. Touch wood, it seems to have worked (fingers crossed)

I have only had the car a couple of weeks, the garage were meant to have serviced it before I collected it. Not taking any chances, so have booked it in for a full service with my usual mechanic. I will still have the EGR valve checkd though.

Many thanks.

Back again, same problem,

New air flter, new diesel filter, EGR valve cleaned as it was clogged up.....This problem exists mainly when under load when accelerating up to approx 40 MPH. OK cruising on motorway. Slight loss of power when the black smoke shows it's ugly face and very embarrasing in the London low emission zone!

It does not happen when the car is driven from cold and also will not happen while the vehicle is stationary (revving it)

I realise thatv there was an issue with "delaminating fuel tanks" but I thought this only happend with the earlier models (this is a 2006)

Could this be a problm with the actual injectors or a fuel pressure problem?

I would appreciate if anyone has any ideas?

kia sorento 2006 2.5 diesel auto - black smoke on acceleration - KIA Sorento Bob

Hi Craigh,

I have a 2006 that has exactly the same symptoms, did you manage to get to the bottom of what was causing the black smoke?

Bob