Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - Dabooka

HI all, after opinions from The Collective about the Giulietta.

Chabge in the wife's role at work means she now does a lot more miles for work than before, on top of her 80 mile round trip commute, so we're looking at a new car. She's rather taken by the Giulietta and there seems to be some good 2012 examples around at our local dealer, especially the 1.6 diesel.

So I've read the reviews online (mixed) scoured the interwebs for input and not seen anything to put me off. The real world mpg seems to be rather excellent for our purposes, and I hold no fear in having an Alfa badge on the bonnet. So my questions are;

• Any alternatives, knowing the kind of thing we're looking for
  • Any advice on what ALfa are like as a network should we experience problems
  • Anyone owned / driven either the Giulietta or the 1.6 block and have any input
  • Anything else I need to think about or be aware of

I have seen a few rumblings about a 2013 facelift model so don't know if that should / would effect our decidon or timing.

Cheers for reading,

Dabooka

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - oldtoffee

You can get £4,700 off list price for a new Giulietta (drivethedeal) so bear that in mind when looking at prices of year old ones on dealer forecourts. My wife is considering a Mito with the 1.6 diesel, we had a test drive and it went very well, smooth and punchy, bit of mechanical noise intrudes around town but on the open road rather good. There's only £2.5k off list on that. We're also looking at a Citroen DS3 1.6 110 bhp which was more refined and just as quick.

Check the driving position of the Alfa works for you, some find the steering wheel it a bit offest to the pedals and uncomfortable on longer journeys. The real world mpg figures here aren't what many people report. Might be worth checking out Fuelly and Alfa forums to get some perspective.

You could look at a Golf, Focus, Octavia but nothing looks as good as the Giulietta and they say everyone should have an Alfa at some time in their life.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - scott1s

I have a 2010 2.0JTDm 170 Veloce and can say I am quite delighted with it. I am averaging around 43 (inc lots of town driving) and the performance is excellent - particularly so in D mode! Only piece of advice I could give is check the driving position - footwell is a bit tight and while not a deal breaker for me, it does get on some peoples nerves. Or to bypass the issue get the TCT version . . .

TBH if I were choosing again I would prob go for the 1.6 as in reality it is not that much slower and markedly more economical. If my annual mileage dropped I would have the 1.4MA in a heartbeat.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - Alby Back

I really like the Giulietta too and my wife rather fancies one if she were to change her car. I wonder if this generation of Alfas suffer the same cam belt weaknesses of the past models?

I really like the Giulietta too and my wife rather fancies one if she were to change her car. I wonder if this generation of Alfas suffer the same cam belt weaknesses of the past models?

I think the cambelt issues are now in the past TBH. Not heard of anything lately from the 159 generation and forwards. Check out on Alfaowner.com too

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - Avant

If you're going for a manual, make sure you can live with the lack of space for your left foot when not on the clutch. Personally I couldn't live with it, but presumably others can or they wouldn't sell any.

If you're going for a manual, make sure you can live with the lack of space for your left foot when not on the clutch. Personally I couldn't live with it, but presumably others can or they wouldn't sell any.

As I say - wasn't a deal breaker for me, but worth checking. However I gather the TCT is excellent so may be worth considering one of these overthe manual and negates the problem totally

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - gordonbennet

Whats a TCT?

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - Avant

Tragically Complex Transmission.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - gordonbennet

tee hee Avant, very good.

Presambly that quip of yours means its one of satans designs then, the dreaded one.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Opinions / advice - Dabooka

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Just a quick update, the manual test drive in a 1.6 was a show stopper for me; the issue of leg room was just too much for me, the thought of long drives with it made our decision. the engine itself was very nice though, bit gutting to be honest

We had a quick spin in a 2.0 170 TCT which really impressed me (the transmission). After having a couple of autos in the past, the smoothness with which it changed up and down was simply staggering, very impressive. If only they did the 1.6 with TCT..... as it is the 170, although lovely, just isn't what we're after. Oh well...