Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Streamline

We placed a £500 deposit on a ford focus 1.6 tdci studio 59 reg DPF that has 58,000 miles on the clock that is costing 6500

I will be using it to commute back and forth from uni on the weekends that is a roundtrip motorway journey of 140 miles and occasionaly 5-10 miles during the weekdays in the town and estimate about 7000-8000 miles a year.

We found this car and thought it would be a good buy because of the fuel economy (and i personally find diesels a better drive) but from what i may be reading, this might be a trap. It is an ex-company car so it has been fully serviced by ford dealers but nothing has been mentioned about a DPF replacement. I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the ford focus a good buy for my type of driving or would it end up costing me more in the long run? Would you suggest an alternative?

2) With the potential DPF problems up ahead, am i heading into a trap with the car i'm buying?

3) Is it worth possibly losing the 500 deposit to look at an alternative option? Would it be possibly to get the 500 deposit back?

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - unthrottled

1) Is the ford focus a good buy for my type of driving or would it end up costing me more in the long run? Would you suggest an alternative?

2) With the potential DPF problems up ahead, am i heading into a trap with the car i'm buying?

3) Is it worth possibly losing the 500 deposit to look at an alternative option? Would it be possibly to get the 500 deposit back?

1.)Yes

2.) No

3.) No

DPF/DMF are one of HJ's favourite recurring themes in the Telegraph motoring section and it has left a lot of people unnecesarily paranoid.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - 72 dudes

I agree with unthrottled.

Your weekly motorway trip will enable the DPF to regenerate.

There's plenty of miles left in a 3 year old diesel Focus if you're only going to be doing 8k per year.

Just remember than when they get older, diesel cars can cost more to repair than an equivalent petrol one, so look at changing it again after around 3 years, by which time it will have done 83k - still below the mileage for a DPF change IIRC.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - jacks

DPF/DMF are one of HJ's favourite recurring themes in the Telegraph motoring section and it has left a lot of people unnecesarily paranoid.

Agreed - but the recommended replacement for the DPF is 72,000 I believe, and the cost is around £900 which needs to be taken into account. when purchasing.

Personally I would just continue to drive until the thing clogged up & actually needed a change but if it's anything like my Volvo (with 2.0 PSA engine) if you don't get the DPF replaced at 72K and the ECU reset by the dealer the car is programmed to keep going into limp mode with the message "replace DPF" until you are forced to get it done even if your driving pattern has meant that the DPF is not clogged yet with many more miles life!

Crap isn't it

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - daveyjp
All cars are different, so to say this is a good or bad one is impossible and how you use it can be key to longevity.

Some old neighbours have a Focus 2.0 TDCi of similar age, it was purchased because they decided to buy a caravan, so once or twice a year it does the job they bought it for, the rest of the year it does very little mileage.

Since last summer the wife facebook updates have been about how much the car is costing in engine repairs.
Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - TR7
1.) no
2.) yes
3.) yes
I bought a focus estate with the same mileage and year nothing but trouble. You do not know how it has been driven previously. I drove 1000 miles a week in mine so dpf should not have been an issue IT WAS THOUGH. Get an i30 or Kia Ceed much less hassle.
Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Collos25

You have answered your own question, but you condem all1.6hdi because you made a mistake.

If the car has been treated properly its like any other vehicle perfect for the use as described.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Streamline

Thanks a lot! (and to everyone else who posted) It's good to hear about problems so you know what to prepare for but I think a lot of what is posted online has a very pessimistic slant.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Cyd

In the Telegraph New Car Guide, March 2nd 2013, page IV, bottom right, HJ wrote:

"If you drive less than 15,000 miles pa and keep your cars for more than 5 years, do not buy a diesel.The potential repair costs from years 3 to 6 can be double the fuel economy saving"

By my maths, this car falls into this category.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - unthrottled

.The potential repair costs from years 3 to 6 can be double the fuel economy saving"

This is a subjective opinion. If diesels were inherently cost ineffective, then big fleets would have got rid of them years ago. They haven't. The payback is obviously much longer with a small annual mileage, but to suggest that diesels are a ticking timebomb and then vaunt each new advance in petrol as the best thing since sliced bread is being disingenuous.

Notice how the Ecoboost has already had the HJ seal of approval when it has essentially no track record. I'd be amazed if the ecoboost engine proves to have long term reliability on a par with the TDCI-and given Ford's chequered history with diesels, that's not saying much.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - thunderbird

In the Telegraph New Car Guide, March 2nd 2013, page IV, bottom right, HJ wrote:

"If you drive less than 15,000 miles pa and keep your cars for more than 5 years, do not buy a diesel.The potential repair costs from years 3 to 6 can be double the fuel economy saving"

By my maths, this car falls into this category.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Not true. The same old anti diesel rhetoric with no thought to the type of use and no mention of any figures.

We have 2 diesels, both with DPF's, one does 10,000 miles a year, the other 7,000 miles a year. Both cost the ame to service as the petrol version but fuel and RFL are way cheaper.

The one that does 10,000 miles a year saves just over £500 a year in fuel and £70 in RFL, over 5 years that is a £2850 saving. OK the car cost £1000 more to buy but according to Parkers its now worth £1000 more than the petrol.

The one that does 7,000 miles a year saves about £400 in fuel and £140 a year in RFL, over 5 years thats approx £2800 saving. The car cost £300 more than the identical petrol and according to parkers its worth £500 more now.

This proves that the information the the paper is wrong and badly wrong. One car is 5 years old now and has had no repairs carried out, even if it did need a new DPF next week (unlikely) we would still have money in the bank.

What does matter though is the type of journeys you do. Both are used in town but both get decent runs on our commutes plus the occational trip to the outlaws.

If you were to buy a diesel to only use 100% in town even if you did 15,000 miles a year you would be crazy and definitely have issues.

No publication makes this clear.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - 72 dudes
If you were to buy a diesel to only use 100% in town even if you did 15,000 miles a year you would be crazy and definitely have issues.

This seems logical, but why then do taxi drivers all seem to use diesel cars?

This seems logical, but why then do taxi drivers all seem to use diesel cars?

Most of the taxis in our town are ancient Mk 2 Mondeo's, they don't have DPF's.

I would guess that the DPF's on propper taxis are designed to work in an urban environment. I know for a fact that one of our cars has on more than one occation done regen when driving back from Tesco's, its about 6 miles and on a good day takes about 20 minutes. Not exactly stop start but plenty of lights and a top speed of 40 mph if you are lucky. Taxis must get that type of run quite frequently in reality.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Avant

I agree that with your long week-end trip you won't have a problem with the DPF (HJ stresses that the potential problems are with repeated shorty jnourneys).

But as Cyd says why have a diesel at all? You'll surely get a petrol Focus of similar vintage for less money, or a newer one for the same money. And the smaller Fiesta, which is probably all you need, would be even cheaper to buy and run.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Big John

DPF may or may not be OK but search for turbo failure with the 1.6tdci due to oil circulation issues

Ford focus 1.6 tdci studio - Mistake buy with DPF? - Collos25

I have had two 1.6hdis and covered mega mileage and never had a turbo problem or any problem come to that.

We had a C-Max 1.6 TDCi and never had a turbo problem. In fact in 5 years of ownership the only part replaced (other than tyres) was the alternator belt that started to crack. I suspect most of the problems are caused by inadequate servicing or cheapo garages using the wrong oil, Ford are very specific about specification but the oil is not expensive.