Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - elsid

I have a 2006 Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec with a low 41000 miles from new. The air vents are blowing a strong smell of exhaust fumes into the car, but only when the car is stationary and the fan is switched on; when the car is moving the smell gradually disappears, even with the fan on. I can’t see any loose or broken pipes and the exhaust system seem to be OK. Someone here had the same problem and they said it was a faulty fuel injector seal, can anyone confirm that would cause the problem or could be something else.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - dieselnut

Remove the engine covers & run the engine at night, look for smoke with a torch, it usually shows up better. If it's a leak from a fuel pipe, don't put your hands near it as under high pressure.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - Peter.N.

It could be an injector seal leaking or the exhaust manifld or pipe.

Turns out it was oil leaking from the sump onto the exhaust pipe.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - Peter.N.

That would do it.

I asked a local garage the cost of replacing the sump gasket and they said £187. That sounded very steep and when I questioned the price they said it also included a new sump. I said all it needed was new gasket and fresh oil and filter. They then told me it was sealant and not a gasket and gave the price breakdown as £33.57 for the sump, £17.36 for sealant and £20 for oil and filter plus VAT and 1.5 hours of labour making a total £148.11 without the sump. Still sounds allot, any thoughts on what true price should be.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - Simon
The parts are okay, the labour rate is on the more expensive side. But if you are not happy take it to a different garage.

---

Edited by elsid on 10/03/2013 at 17:17

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - baitman

my wife has a 2004 1.4 tdci fiesta and her car had the same problem. turned out to be a leaky injector and the diesel spill was heating up on the cylinder head and the fumes were entering the interior through the air vents.

the fault is often caused by non expert gagages trying to remove the injectors and damaging/scoring the soft alloy seating of the injectors by levering them out if they are stuck. this can be ground out with care and the seal restored. cost about £150 at specialst diesel garage. my mates garage didnt have a scooby what the problem was.

I am thinking of DIY re-seal and wondered how easy/difficult it is to remove/replace the sump. Will I need to remove any other parts before I can access the sump and are any special tools needed.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Are you absolutely convinced that it's engine oil from the sump? Is this causing an oil patch under the car whilst parked? Does that patch look and smell like engine oil, or diesel fuel? It's just that the very common fault here is a leaking injector seal, which, as delivered, this engine is prone to... I've had it on my 1.4Tdci and I've read on motoring forums that it's a common problem. Diesel fuel leaks out and drips onto the exhaust pipe.. Then fumes enter the cabin and there will be visible smoke from the back of the engine. It's a common problem from new, but if you find a good mechanic to re-seat the injectors, they'll never leak again!

I can’t smell diesel and a couple of years ago the car had a dent fixed at a Ford garage and they told me the sump gasket was leaking. There was no oil on my drive so I didn’t bother getting it fixed. The smell of fumes started about 2 months ago so I am guessing the leak has got worse. The car recently had new tyres fitted and I took a look at the sump which was very oily and had leaked onto the exhaust manifold which runs beneath it, so chances are it is the sump. I just need to know if removing the sump is easy or difficult.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Doing the sump pan may be a lot cheaper than an injector job! This picture of a sump pan, £65 on e-Bay, suggests that it is a simple job providing that you can do it with the exhaust pipe in place.

compare.ebay.co.uk/like/170752022598?var=lv&lt...0

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec - Exhaust Fumes Entering via Air Vents - kelvin gomersall

Hi, i have just checked my car today and found oil near and around the sump however on flat ground it only seems to be coming from the same side as my pulleys. does anyone know if pulley seals are usually a problem on this model? thank you.

I've not heard of any common problem with the crankshaft oil seal on this engine. There should be no oil behind the crankshaft damper pulley as the cam belt (dry) is behind there. The cam belt was changed at 90K miles on my 1.4 Tdci, with no report of other problems from my local garage who did the job. About 30K miles later, the crankshaft damper pulley failed - the rubber filling between the two halves of the pulley ripped, and what a noise it makes when that happens! I left that one to the local garage as well and a new auxiliary belt had to be fitted as well.

I had the sump oil leak fixed but fumes are still entering the car. Perhaps its the fuel injector after all. Will need to take it back to the garage that resealed the sump, I had told them about the the fumes but they have obviously not fixed it.