Nissan Almera Tino 05 - Twice in two weeks my car has refused to start.. - DaveM1965

Just over a week ago I went shopping..came out and my car wouldnt start... acted like a flat battery...after about 10 mins it started as if nothing was wrong... a few days later I took it to my local garage and told them what had happened .. they did a battery test..it passed...they then explained they couldnt do anything until it went wrong again...

A week of no problems goes by with no hint of problem. Then I drove into petrol station ..paid got back into car and same again... OK.. I thought I will wait 10 mins...nope still nothing... rang AA .. they come out after about an hour and as soon as I tried starting it again..YEP... it worked fine :(

AA man first cleaned the Earth (apparently my type of car suffers from this) then kept trying it like the Karate Kid.. Engine OFF..Engine ON ... Engine OFF..Engine ON ... until it didnt start... he then bumped started it and followed me to the same garage saying he thought it might be the starting motor ... I left it with the garage who two days later rang me and said they couldnt find anything mechanically wrong with the car

I know NOTHING.. about cars and all I can tell you is that mechanically it has been reliable for the last 4 years ... and about two weeks ago I decided that the key battery should be replaced...it has done less than 70k on the clock... I use the car more these days ..about 30 miles a day... starting the car about 4 times a day.. battery has passed 2 tests .. 1 by garage and 1 by AA man...

PLEASE help... I REALLY need a reliable car...

With thanks

Dave

Edited by DaveM1965 on 27/02/2013 at 13:35

Nissan Almera Tino 05 - Twice in two weeks my car has refused to start.. - DaveM1965

Well ever since I got the car back from the garage who if you remember didnt do anything to it.... it seems fine but like I have already said ..its an occasional starting problem and it WILL happen again....

As anyone any ideas? ..Please

Dave

Edited by DaveM1965 on 28/02/2013 at 09:46

Nissan Almera Tino 05 - Twice in two weeks my car has refused to start.. - Peter.N.

If you have a meter you can do a simple test. Next time it doesn't start connect your meter red lead to the large terminal on the starter and black one to earth, get someone to turn the key to the start position while you watch, if you have 12v and the starter is not operating, transfer the red lead to the small terminal and see if you have 12v there, if you don't, possibly faulty ignition switch if you do, check for 12v on the large terminal again, if its present while the key is in the start position your starter motor or solonoid are faulty.

If the 12v dissapears from the starter when it is operated you have a faulty connection from the battery.

I will print this out and ask someone "in the know" to check it for me..thanks

Nissan Almera Tino 05 - Twice in two weeks my car has refused to start.. - Leannelightfoot

hiya I also have a 205 almera tino which touch wood has been perfect since we brought it hoever today i was out at work and had stopped to get out the car for 10 mins or so (note engine and everything was off lights etc) so i get back in the car and go to start and NOTHING! not even barely a click! tried jumping and still didnt start? any ideas??

Nissan Almera Tino 05 - Twice in two weeks my car has refused to start.. - dieselnut

Did the dashboard light up as normal & remain brightly lit when you turned the key to the start position ?

If so you need to follow Peter.D instructions above.

If the dash was blank you need to look for a bad conexion to the battery or earth or the battery itself.

Nissan Almera Tino 05 - Twice in two weeks my car has refused to start.. - waxy09
Hi just read your issue, I have got an 02 tino i had same issue guys at local garage said new batt needed as went with booster battery,I was not convinced so i removed only other item and that was starter motor. I dismanteled it and found brushes had worn out so when you turned to start you got dead short giving a flat battery thinking,but as central locking would operate when this happened in thought this was issue.Replaced starter no more issues.still got same battery.