Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - nickandfamily

Hi everyone

I hope this makes sense! I am thinking of buying a Hyundai i30 of 2-3 years old. The i30 had a small cosmetic facelift in 2010.

Using the same 1.4 engine, the 0-60 times seem to have sped up by 1 second after the facelift (11.6 v 12.6).

You can see the difference in speeds in these two cars below.

http://www.hyundaiapproved.co.uk/vehicle/1866950?r_num=5&ls.expand=models&ls.logged=false&ls.c.models=4294966244,4294967261&ls.c.priceranges=8058&ls.c.modelgroups=8526&ls.c.mileage=8551

http://www.hyundaiapproved.co.uk/vehicle/1830168?r_num=20&ls.page=3&ls.expand=models&ls.logged=false&ls.c.models=4294966244,4294967261&ls.c.priceranges=8058&ls.c.modelgroups=8526&ls.c.mileage=8551

However, just to add to the confusion, the 2008 brochure has the 0-60 at the faster 11.6, with no mention of the 12.6 quoted above.

I am totally confused! I obviously would prefer the car which has a little more punch. Or is it likely that they are in fact identical and this is a statistical anomoly?

Ultimately, 1 second slower is about 8% which is a fair chunk.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Nick

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - skidpan

Forget 0-60 times, in the real world they are meaningless. If you regularly drove in the way needed to get those times you would wreck the gearbox, diff and tyres. In egar acceleration fiogures are what matters, how do they compare.

With regards to the update it is possible Hyundai changed the gearing or are just plain telling lies about the performance improvement. All manufacturers do it.

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - RT

Neither of those two links refer to 0-60 mph times - they refer to 0-100 kph times which are about 10% worse and labeled with the approximation of "0-62".

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - Collos25

Well I never really put me off buying one now.

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - Auristocrat

Hyundai made some changes to the specs - the spec of 3) is EU5 rather than EU4, and insurance has gone from 13 to 14 :

1) spec from 19.11.2009 (EU4) - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/specs/detail/?v=MHYUCI300001

2) spec from 01.06.2010 (EU4) - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/specs/detail/?v=MHYUCI300102

3) spec from 27.02.2012 (EU5) - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/specs/detail/?v=MHYUCI300116

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - TR7
Why a 1.4? The 1.6crdi engine is a great chain cam diesel. I got 50 mpg all day long out of one for a year.
Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - Engineer Andy

Sometimes remapping the engine is done for various reasons - the 1.6 petrol in my pre-facelift Mazda3 has a nominal 0-60 of 11.5 seconds, and yet the post facelift and current versions (same engine, with mods to reduce CO2 emissions and up the mpg by 2 [down one two groups for road tax]) are 0-60 in 12.5 sec.

For the sake of saving £10 - £20 p.a. in road tax and £55 p.a. in running costs (for 10k miles), was it worth it for what is now quite a slow car (almost as slow as my parents' 1.25 Fiesta [12.9sec to 60mph])? I don't think so (the slow 1.4 isn't even available for this model any more).

IMO manafucturers do this as a "cheat" to pretend they're improving their cars' environmental credentials by "R&D" when all it is is tweaking at the margins.

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - jamie745

A few weeks ago I used a petrol station beside a dual carraigeway where the exit slip road is incredibly short. That's probably the first time my 0-60 time has ever been relevant.

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - nickandfamily

Thank you all very much for your time in replying.

I do understand what you mean when you say that, ultimately, it doesn't matter.

I guess my concern is it just points towards a car having less poke. I mean, if 0-62 really was not relevant, surely the figures wouldn't be published and we'd all be happy to drive cars with a 0-62 of 15 seconds.

Or, to put it another way... I totally understand that last point about it only being relevant in a straight line in a slip road. So my question is basically would I notice the difference in real world driving?

Much of my driving is on the motorway and it's there that I would be concerned about the differences, i.e. for overtaking etc.

Thanks again

Nick

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - unthrottled

For motorway use you need to look at in-gear acceleration times for 50-70. A much more useful measure, but not as commonly quoted. A car can have weak 0-60 times, but decent 50-70 and vice versa.

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - thunderbird

A diesel car with the same BHP as the identical petrol car will have a slower 0-60 time but much faster in gear acceleration times. A turbo petrol will have much faster in gear acceleration times than a petrol with a bigger engine and the same power but no turbo.

For that reason I always drive a car with a turbo (or supercharger). A much better drive and they use no more fuel.

Hyundai i30 - Totally confused!! 0-60 details, I am lost! - bazza

No you will not notice the difference, but if you want something with a bit more mid range go for the 1.6, or for much more mid range the diesel.

More importantly, it's a decent enough car but the 1.4 I drove was unbearably noisy at anything over about 60mph. But ok around town and A roads and handles ok too.