Focus 1.8Tdci 2003 Zetec - Keys and Fobs - Englishbullterrier

Hi all, just returning after a spell owning a Freelander. Picking up a Focus 1.8 Tdci Zetec this morning.

Got a query on keys and fobs please.

Are the keys chipped internally, ie, coded to a receiver in the steering column for an immobilser ? Or can an unchipped key be cut and used ?

Is it possible to buy an OEM fob and program it to my car ? I would imagine that s******s want loadsa dosh for a Ford replacement fob.

The one fob that is coming with it is 3 button. Lock and unlock doors and unlock tailgate.

Cheers.........ebt

Focus 1.8Tdci 2003 Zetec - Keys and Fobs - Collos25

You have to buy the key from Fords it contains the chip for the immobiliser,the door chip can be cloned.

Focus 1.8Tdci 2003 Zetec - Keys and Fobs - elekie&a/c doctor

The key will most definitely be a chip type.It is coded to the engine control unit.The pick up module on the steering column is part of the immobiliser system ,but not coded to the car.If you have at least 2 working keys that start the car (remote or not) then it is possible to programme in a new key yourself.With only 1 working key,you will need the services of an auto-locksmith who will be able to cut and code a new key .It is not necessary to use a Ford main dealer.You can buy cloned keys,but tend to be not very reliable.hth

Focus 1.8Tdci 2003 Zetec - Keys and Fobs - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Ford supply (or they did with mine) one coded button-and-battery key and a spare passive key - no buttons or battery. The spare key has the key's 'T' number with it, so that a lost main key can be replaced using that number. Really, all you need is a passive key to keep at home as a spare. Once, out shopping, I locked my key in the boot and had to come home on the bus and get my spare out of the key-case and back on the bus to retrieve my car!

Focus 1.8Tdci 2003 Zetec - Keys and Fobs - Englishbullterrier

Thanks everyone...