Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - campden

I have been extremely disappointed with the fuel consumption of this car, and complaining to Lexus, ever since I bought it in 2009. I had moved on from a RX400h which had an official EU figure of 34.1 mpg and in practice actually easily achieved slightly over 30 mpg. Lexus are claiming 44.8 mpg for the RX450h and I foolishly had expected to achieve a figure of at least 39 mpg. In practice, with extremely carefull driving, the best I could obtain was 34mpg. Lexus firstly tried to reset the electronics and then replaced the battery, but with no improvement. They then told me that I was alone in having this problem and it must be caused by my driving style! I felt I was alone in having this problem until I read the Honest John website. According to, at the last count ,over 360 other drivers, 34mpg is a good average for this car! Lexus are still strongly pushing their mileage figure in National advertising (The Times 6.2.13 - two full page adverts). I think they are miss-selling and have submitted a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. The problem is that the EU figures are misleading They take no account of the differences between these figures and those actually achieved in practice, in respect of individul models. If anyone else feels as strongly as i do, perhaps we could take the matter further.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - jamie745

You need to stop blaming Lexus. The EU configures the fuel economy tests, the EU forces Lexus to put the car through tests which Lexus have no control over and the EU force Lexus to publish the figures on all their advertising material.

Yes carmakers configure the cars to perform well in the EU tests so as they can 'officially' meet EU imposed emission targets and hopefully squeeze the car into a lower tax band for you.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - unthrottled

The problem is that the EU figures are misleading

Correct. Complain to your MEP and ask for him/her to push for adoption of the WLTP (World Light Test Procedure) in 2014.

If anyone else feels as strongly as i do, perhaps we could take the matter further.

You're wasting your time. Toyota will point out they have a statutory obligation to test their vehicles in accordance with the prescribed cycle and publish the results. The matter is out of their hands.

In fairness, January and February have been colder than normnal and your consumption will improve as the weather warms up.

A brighter spin on things is to look at your fuel consumption as a proportion of the total cost of buying and running such a vehicle. Then work out the hypothetical difference with the advertised figures. The figure won't change appreciably. Scant consolation I know!

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - Collos25

Anybody who buys a new car and believes that they will get the economy on the road that is produced by the EU figures must also believe in fairies.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - gordonbennet

Actualy if you take a different view, you have a silky smooth fully auto 4x4 weighing in at 2 tons that can give a Porsche a run for its money and gets around 34mpg regularly and almost silently while doing so with total reliability.

Not too many competitors for that crown.

Whats your normal motoring.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/02/2013 at 20:27

Not too many competitors for that crown.

Very fair point. The RX is a £50,000 pseudo SUV which does 34 to a gallon. I'd take that.

Correct. Complain to your MEP and ask for him/her to push for adoption of the WLTP (World Light Test Procedure) in 2014.

And if your MEP has an honest bone in their body they will tell you they have absolutely no influence over anything at all because only the unelected Commission of civil servants can propose either the creation or amendment of legislation.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - madf

Since this subject has been done to death on so many motoring websites, I have to assume this is a windup.

Oh I am slightly depressed that someone who can't type 'official mpg figures' into google and discover the basic information we know can reach a position in life where they can afford two brand new Lexus SUV's.

A very good point Jamie.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - Sulphur Man

It certainly feels like it. Complaining that a £50K car is falling 5-6mpg short of acceptable average mpg verges on the surreal. One doesnt part with that sort of money in the hope of saving a bit at the pumps???

Close this thread please, moderators

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - Avant

No, it's not a case for closing the thread (it's not offensive or unnecessarily political) even though there is general agreement that the OP is exaggerating the problem.

Hybrids are useful in and around town (although I'm not convinced that if you want a hybrid, any Lexus hybrid is worth the extra over a Prius or Prius +). If most of the mileage is on the open road with the petrol engine doing nearly all the work, 34 mpg is really quite good for a 3.5 litre petrol.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - thunderbird

34 mpg is really quite good for a 3.5 litre petrol.

34 mpg is b***** incredible for a 3.5 litre engine in something that size and weight.

But I always thought with the name 450h it had a 4.5 litre engine. Fitting only a 3.5 litre engine is a total con.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - unthrottled

Mercedes 250Cdi is a 2.1l

BMW 528 is a 2.0l

The 335D is a 3.0l

The 740D is a also a 3.0l

Doesn't say much about car buyers, does it? Having a badge that says that you have a big engine apparently matters, even if you don't!

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - thunderbird

My BMW 118D has a 2 litre engine. As least I got a "bigger one".

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - gordonbennet
But I always thought with the name 450h it had a 4.5 litre engine. Fitting only a 3.5 litre engine is a total con.

317Nm from the engine alone plus ''The front and rear motors now deliver maximum torque of 335Nm and 139Nm from zero rpm respectively,'' (from HJ's review above)

Should have called it the RX 791h.

Must accelerate like a scalextric car, instant, hope those headrest are tough enough to stop yer 'ead falling off like.

OP whinges about a regular 34 mpg with that lot on tap.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - madf

Andof course, consumption falls in winter and if you drive it unintelligently...

Mercedes 250Cdi is a 2.1l

BMW 528 is a 2.0l

The 335D is a 3.0l

The 740D is a also a 3.0l

Doesn't say much about car buyers, does it? Having a badge that says that you have a big engine apparently matters, even if you don't!

Really?

My sons 2012 330 is a 3.5litre straight six and his 2009 740 is a 4.0 v8 and my 2001 528 is 2.5

Edited by Collos25 on 23/02/2013 at 08:55

Forgot to mention my 316 is a 1.8.

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - Engineer Andy

Whilst I don't believe the EU figures, I've always achieved higher mpg figures in my cars over the years (though only two - A 1996 Micra 1 litre and a 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 petrol) by between 7-12% (52mpg on the Micra [EU combined = 47mpg], 41.5mpg on the Mazda [EU 38mpg - not the mid-2006 model at 40-41mpg which was derated to get a higher mpg figure and a lower Co2 figure to drop to a lower CO2 group]).

I am quite light-footed (though not a slow driver - I just don't thrash them and back off rather than brake late, and also try not to stop and junctions if I can safely do so, which helps mpg) and also try to look as far ahead as possible to avoid any sharp breaking/accelerating manoeuvres - it seems to work. Being well-prepared save fuel!

Lexus RX 450h - Official mpg figures - privateinvestor

When I worked in the middle east my Lexus GS300 228 BHP 3.0V6 would do 22mpg in town and 33mpg highway.

34 mpg is very good...........to achieve maximum mpg from a hybrid you have to drive carefully using a light foot - part throttle openings and the greater proportion of your mileage should be around the 30mph mark. Gioven the size and weight of the car I think 34mpg is a good result.

When I worked in the middle east the GS300 was badged as a Toyota, Lexus did not start till the 400 and onwards there was a new Lexus showroom next door to my office in Jeddah I used to look every day I had a Toyota corolla as a company car and these lexus 400s were just a dream.