VW Beetle 1.6 (2001) - Maximum mileage expected from a petrol engine - sarah!

Hi,

Please can some kindly help me with the maximum mileage I could expect to get from a Beetle 1.6 (2001) engine. Its been regually serviced including cam belt changes.

Thanks in advance for any info & guidance.

Sarah.

VW Beetle 1.6 (2001) - Maximum mileage expected from a petrol engine - unthrottled

40 would be a good bench mark-35ish for short journeys.

Sorry ...its me not being to clear I think!

Its an older car with high mileage and I am wanting to know really how many miles I can expect the engine to do before it gives up ;-)

I have googled it and think it may be about 250'000 but just wanted some expert opinions!

Its been well cared for so hope its its a bit more than the 150'000 it currently has.

Thanks again & sorry for not making myself clear the first time!

VW Beetle 1.6 (2001) - Maximum mileage expected from a petrol engine - Cyd

How long is a piece of string?

There are people in the world who claim to have done a million miles in 70s cars!

It's averaging 12.5k pa. If you're changing oil and filter twice a year, and other service items at appropriate intervals then the engine may well go on for the same mileage again at least.

Change the gearbox oil if it's never been done, too (I'm a fan of Redline and Torco).

Make sure to use high quality engine oil and flush every other change.

Keep body work clean, top and bottom! At this age, probably worth having the cavities rewaxed.

Some stuff is bound to need replacing over the years but no reason not to expect 20+ years out of a well cared for modern motor.

VW Beetle 1.6 (2001) - Maximum mileage expected from a petrol engine - Mr Fox

This engine could got for 300,000 miles or even more, with regular oil changes, keep the coolant at the correct dilution of anti-freeze, and change the cambelt at the correct interval.

I had a Jetta with this engine, and when i sold it in 2000 it had done 150 K miles and its still on the road now.

Thanks for the help...Thats good news as I am not wanting to part with her just yet!

VW Beetle 1.6 (2001) - Maximum mileage expected from a petrol engine - jc2

This engine could got for 300,000 miles or even more, with regular oil changes, keep the coolant at the correct dilution of anti-freeze, and change the cambelt at the correct interval.

I had a Jetta with this engine, and when i sold it in 2000 it had done 150 K miles and its still on the road now.

A mere stripling;I've sold two Fords and a Fiat with more than that!

Thanks for the help and advice.....I will make sure I continue to look after her!

VW Beetle 1.6 (2001) - Maximum mileage expected from a petrol engine - Cyd

Don't neglect coolant or brake fluid changes either. The coolant looses it's corrosion protection after about 5 years and brake fluid absorbs water through the hoses which can be dangerous and cause internal corrosion of the brake system. Do both every 5 years.

Similarly, lubricate door hinges, checks and locks. Also bonnet and boot locks. All stuff that can fail if it's not looked after (and the bonnet lock is an integral part of the impact absorbtion zone).

Every few years, clean door seals with a propritory rubber nourishment (Halfords do one). Use vaseline if you can't get any. Keeps the rubber supple - otherwise it will dry out and crack up.

Thank you!