Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - Kitden

Is it safe to charge the battery on my Honda Civic without removing it from the vehicle? I have a modern CTEK charger which is supposed to be safe to leave connected for long periods, but I just want to give it an occasional boost. Many thanks.

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - focussed

I also have a Civic - the CTEK charger should be fine as it's output is low, about 5 amps as I recall, the point to watch is to be sure to switch the charger off at the mains before removing the charger leads from the battery - batteries give off hydrogen when charging + spark from charging lead etc etc. For more up to date information and comment on the Civic try the Civinfo website,lots of useful stuff on there.

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - Falkirk Bairn

>> I just want to give it an occasional boost

Why?

The alternator does the job and your car is brand new!

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - Cyd

Why?

Not necessarily. Short journeys or long periods of non use can discharge a battery and the alternator will never bring it back up to full charge. A regular boost with a charger is good for all cars and will extend the life of your battery. A battery is not a 'fit and forget' itm - though most people seem to think so (battery problems are amongst the most common cause of callouts for all the rescue services)

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - Collos25

It must be a very poor alternator I have never had to boost the battery ever and I have run new cars and some real bangers and I live in an area were -30 is not unusual.An alternator when working properly will recharge a good battery in a few minutes of driving this is a new car were talking about not a 10 year old banger with a duff battery.To much charge is more likely to do the battery harm than good, it will not extend the life of a battery by very much if at all chances are it will only make a bad battery work for a few months longer instead of looking at the real problem people buy trickle chargers and hope it will cure the problem instead of looking at the charging circiut and the condition of the battery.A Webasto preheat system will be a darn sight more useful but unless you live in very remote part of the UK it never gets that cold to warrant one.

Edited by Collos25 on 17/02/2013 at 19:38

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/battery-life/

This agrees with advice i was given by an engineer for one of the major battery manufacturers when I was an Automotive R&D Engineer at a premium manufacturer in the UK Midlands.

My car lives in the garage all week, only coming out at weekends & holidays and sometimes not every weekend. I've just suffered a single cell failure on a 2 year old battery because I haven;t been keeping my conditioner connected on my new car. Shalln't make that mistake again.

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - Kitden

Why?

Not necessarily. Short journeys or long periods of non use can discharge a battery and the alternator will never bring it back up to full charge. A regular boost with a charger is good for all cars and will extend the life of your battery. A battery is not a 'fit and forget' itm - though most people seem to think so (battery problems are amongst the most common cause of callouts for all the rescue services)

Thanks for your replies. The reason I like to keep the battery charged is because I do low mileage and quite a few short trips. With all the electronics on modern cars the battery can be drained surprisingly quickly, and I was caught out a couple of times with my previous, 2006 model, Civic. I do notice however, that the new model has a much beefier looking battery than the old one. Even with a brand new car, if you keep taking more out than you are putting in, it will fail.

Same here Kit. So, good on you. Carry on. See above.

My father has a 6yr old BMW 118 with only 32k. The local BMW dealer puts his car on an overnight boost charge each year it goes in for service. They certainly believe it's a benefit on cars that do not spend their lives on the motorway.

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE petrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - Collos25

Same here Kit. So, good on you. Carry on. See above.

My father has a 6yr old BMW 118 with only 32k. The local BMW dealer puts his car on an overnight boost charge each year it goes in for service. They certainly believe it's a benefit on cars that do not spend their lives on the motorway.

Nothing worse for a batteries extended live than a boost charge,does he check the output of the battery first is it low or is it just a habit he got into.

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE plectroetrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - unthrottled

I agree with collos. 'Electronics' have a very low current draw. The alternator has a variable load and shoudn't have any difficulty replenishing the battery, even on short trips. If you're grinding on the starter motor for ages, you need to ascertain why the engine isn't firing more quickly. A drained battery is a symptom, not the root cause. I've replaced bog standard lead acid batteries after more than 10 years' service.

Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC SE plectroetrol manual 2012 model - Battery Charging - madf

I tried charging my wife's yaris diesel which is only used 20-30 miles a week.

Gave up as the charging lasted all of 5 minutes .

If the battery and alternator are up to snuff.. not needed.

If my wife drove only at night with all electrics on and the battery was on its last legs then yes. But then buying a new battery solved the problem.