Egr cleaner - Chris79
Hello all,

Yesterday I saw an advert for wynns egr valve cleaner. 10 pounds a tin and apparently amazing results. I just wondered if anyone on this forum has had any experience of this product?

Top Reply

Egr cleaner - Chris79
Well as for how well it cleaned the egr valve. I can't give any definitive answer. What I can say is that the car drove better after using that spray.

All Replies

Egr cleaner - Collos25

Why not remove it and clean it properly or replace it.

Egr cleaner - Chris79
Collos,

Because at 10 pounds a tin I accept that it won't do such a good job, but if it does even 50 % of what it says would that not constitute good value?
Egr cleaner - Dutchie

Try it can't see the stuff doing any harm.

Egr cleaner - unthrottled

I bet it's just carb cleaner. Carb cleaner can damage the MAF.

Can't see much of the solvent surviving the combustion process, so very little will be drawn back through the EGR valve (assuming it's open).

You need to take off the intake hose from the intercooler and get an assistant to rev the engine while you spray it. Probably just as easy to take the EGR valve off and give it a proper clean.

Egr cleaner - TeeCee

Try it can't see the stuff doing any harm.

I suspect that's the answer. If your EGR valve is working, it won't break it and may even give you a warm feeling that it's somehow cleaner than it was.

If your EGR valve is clogged then nothing will be going through it anyway, so short of the intervention of the Wynn's fluid teleportation fairies, it cannot make any difference.

Or, in other words, I detect a strong odour of oil of snake.....

Edit: Remember that you have lies, damned lies, statistics and then of course, advertising.

Edited by TeeCee on 15/02/2013 at 14:11

Egr cleaner - Dutchie

True advertising is what it is.It's like having a blocked sink.Take the pipe off and clean it, not liquid will get writ of the rubbish.I've tried it.>;)

Egr cleaner - focussed

True advertising is what it is.It's like having a blocked sink.Take the pipe off and clean it, not liquid will get writ of the rubbish.I've tried it.>;)

Go to a trade plumber's merchant - not B&Q or the equivalent. Ask for some liquid drain rod. It's not particularly expensive, about £5 for a litre bottle.

NB It's dangerous stuff, concentrated sulphuric acid. Wear protective clothing, long gloves, face mask, not just goggles but a proper face mask.

If you get any in your eye you won't have an eye left in ten seconds.

Follow the instructions to the letter-don't just throw the lot down the drain in one go, it'll blow back in your face.

I have used it to shift a blockage consisting of builders cement and artex washout residue that had set hard compacted with hair, soap, and cotton buds.

Egr cleaner - unthrottled

Not sure I'd want that in my engine!

Aluminium+sulphuric acid=Aluminium Sulphate+Hydrogen

Egr cleaner - Collos25
Collos, Because at 10 pounds a tin I accept that it won't do such a good job, but if it does even 50 % of what it says would that not constitute good value?

No,I would say good value for money is to remove it and clean properly cost zero.

As stated below its more than likely carb cleaner or what was used in the dry cleaning business cabontetrochloride.

Egr cleaner - oldwrigley

you'll want to remove it to clean it anyway really

soaking it in alloy wheel cleaner seems to work better than the EGR valve cleaners we've tried. Diesels seem to be harder to clean than petrols, maybe due to the different type of carbon. It's worth checking the pipework as they get clogged with carbon as well.

Egr cleaner - tony g
I've used the cleaner several times on diesels with very good results .
I would definitely recommend it .
Egr cleaner - Collos25

But you are only interested in short term results to shift a piece of tin unlike most people who are looking for a long term solution which can only be had by thorough cleaning or replacement and remembereing to clean the inlet manifold and adjacent pipework.

Egr cleaner - Chris79

Well against the general consensus I decided to try some of this egr cleaner. I sprayed it on the outlet side if the maf thus avioding damaging that. The results...well it has definitely made a noticeable dufference. As good as taking the egr valve off and cleaning it, probably not but for 8 pounds a tin I think it represents good value.

Ill let people know how long it lasts for!

Egr cleaner - dadbif
Mr Muscle worked on my sons 2.0ltr golf, cleaned both turbo an EGR, google it on the VW owners site
Egr cleaner - oldwrigley

did it shift that hard baked on oily soot?

Egr cleaner - nortones2

I remember recipes for clearing clogged exhaust systems on two-strokes, where the results from burnt oil might resemble EGR coatings. Required baffles to be laid in sodium hydroxide solution in a bath at boiling temp., for an hour or more!, to shift the deposits. Have a feeling that buying a nostrum which is squirted into the intake is 1. asking for trouble; 2. not very likely to shift much.

Edited by nortones2 on 23/07/2013 at 20:43

Egr cleaner - Chris79
Well as for how well it cleaned the egr valve. I can't give any definitive answer. What I can say is that the car drove better after using that spray.