VW Golf MK4 1.6 SE Petrol 2002-03 - Cambelt Replacement Best place? - drumspell

Hi Everyone!

I just bought this car and the dealer said the Cambelt was changed but theres no proof on the service history or in the car. I havent checked yet the status of the current belt but I will call back to try to get it done under their cost. In the case I have to sort it out does anybody knows the best place to take it for a replacement?...as my previous garage stop trading.

Should I buy first the parts online?

I live in West London, any suggestion for a cheap/quality garage that could do this job? How much would be including tensioner and water pump?

The car has 81k miles.

Apart from that, the car has a continuous squealing noise from the alternator /fan belt that doesnt go away. It did go away for a short time after been sprayed but after driving on the highway it went back.

Any idea what it could be? the bearings? the pulley? It doesnt seems to be caused by the steering pump.

Is it dangerous to drive it in that condition?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

VW Golf MK4 1.6 SE Petrol 2002-03 - Cambelt Replacement Best place? - Collos25

The best value for money if you are taking it to a dealer for repair is the main agent when it comes to cam belts.

Hi Collos25 Thanks for replying!

VW Golf MK4 1.6 SE Petrol 2002-03 - Cambelt Replacement Best place? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

There's your answer about the cambelt change! If it had been changed, then it would have been sensible to change the squeaky auxiliary belt at the same time! The auxiliary belt can squeak away for years, but if it does fray and snap, then there is a possibility that it can wrap itself around the crankshaft pulley and wreck the engine. I remember one contributor to this forum made a very valid observation.. find an old established garage where some of the old hands are over 60, because they will know how cars work, and they will teach the younger ones to do the job correctly because they want to keep their good reputation. Of course, it doesn't always work like that.

MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom, Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Cheers!

VW Golf MK4 1.6 SE Petrol 2002-03 - Cambelt Replacement Best place? - oldtoffee

Might be a bit too west for you but I can recommend Autopool in Iver they've done several belt changes on our VAG cars and know what they are doing.

A good independent will 9 times out of 10 do a better job than a main dealer and at a lower cost. I had a main Skoda dealer completely mess up a belt change I negotiated on buying a used Skoda diesel and they even suggested the water pump and aux belts only needed an inspection and were ok so they didn't do them.