Toyota Avensis 2007 - HPI CHECK always correct? Engine size differs - Lynda1980

In real need of advice. Have decided on buying a second hand 2007, Toyota Avensis with pretty good mileage & service history. Have brought it for a test drive & today we are planning on organising finance. However, last night I did a preliminary HPI check on the internet, just using the reg from the Garage Website pictures & although, the Avensis we are planning on buying is advertised as a 1.8 VVTi Colour Collection, the HPI check brings up the following: AVENSIS COLOUR CTION VVTI

Year of manufacture 2007

• Engine size (cc) 1294.
  • Its really got me thinking? Could this be a typo error on HPI website? Although I have checked two & both sites brought back the same info? Is the garage dodgey or what would be the reason for this difference in info?
  • Any help greatly appreciated.
  • I haven't paid for the full HPI check yet as I wanted to get the VIN & V5 details before paying for this.
  • Toyota Avensis 2007 - HPI CHECK always correct? Engine size differs - tony g
    It's not that unusual to find errors like this ,the reg document v5 will also show the wrong engine size .Because the wrong info was supplied to the dvla and HPI by the garage who sold the car when new.

In addition, It's important to check the cars vin number against the reg docs to make sure the cars not been duplicated ,a ringer . HPI cannot protect you from that .
    Toyota Avensis 2007 - HPI CHECK always correct? Engine size differs - Collos25

They have never made a Avensis with this engine size,if you worried get the garage to HPI the car something they will have done already.The HPI checks on the internet are only as good as the info given to them by the retailers not really worth a lot because they cannot detect a stolen car or cloned car .Really its up to yourself to check that the log details are the same on the car.

Toyota Avensis 2007 - HPI CHECK always correct? Engine size differs - Lynda1980

Thanks for both your replies. Got a wee bit of a fright there!

Ok so where do I find the VIN number, if I call to garage to check it against log book, where on the car is it?

The garage state on there website that all cars have HPI check completed, so do you think I should have to have a look at the HPI report or would I achieve anything by doing this?

It seems a legit garage, just am so wary buying because I'm so skint at the moment! Wanna check everything that I possibly can for peace of mind.

Thanks again for help & advice x

Toyota Avensis 2007 - HPI CHECK always correct? Engine size differs - gordonbennet

VIN should be visible through a small cut out at the bottom corner of the windscreen, should also be stamped under the bonnet somewhere often on the inner wing or rear bulkhead, some cars also have a stamp on the front footwell floor usually visible through a flip up flap in the carpet but can't remember if Toyotas have the floor stamp.

It sounds legit to me, if the trader is established i wouldn't worry too much, ask to see his HPI report too.

Check the chassis number tallies with the log book, and before you go to finalise the deal enter the MOT test number on the DOT MOT check online system, see what its MOT and mileage history is like.

Good car these if looked after reasonably well.

Toyota Avensis 2007 - HPI CHECK always correct? Engine size differs - pd

HPI actually hold little data on the car - all they do is collate data from various sources, in this case from the DVLA.

The correct cc for the car is 1794 so it looks pretty clear that when the car was first registered someone misread a 7 for a 2 so that is what is showing on the V5.

If you buy the car, when you register it in your name, you can correct this if you wish on the V5 so when you get the V5 back in your name it will show the correct cc.