Ford Fiesta Mk4 2001 - Fiesta MK4 1.25 What have I broken?! - jetmech
Hello. This is my first post and I am hoping that there is someone on this forum that has seen the inside of a Ford Zetec 1.25 engine.
Whilst changing the timing belt on our Fiesta I had some difficulty torque loading the crankshaft pulley bolt, during the first attempt my homemade pulley locking tool failed and the engine turned about 1/8th of a rotation. Unfortunatly I had left the crankshaft TDC stop bolt inserted. This bolt did not bend or break but now turning the engine with this bolt inserted results in the crankshaft stopping some way passed TDC.
I have now completed the timing belt change and the engine rotates by hand without any sticking or strange noises. I am of course wondering what has been moved or damaged by the TDC rigging bolt. Any thoughts?

Simon.
Ford Fiesta Mk4 2001 - Fiesta MK4 1.25 What have I broken?! - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Best thing is to complete the timing belt fitment and start the engine. You will soon find out if you have bent any valves by the bad misfire. If you have then its a head off job.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Thanks Robin

I didn't ever loose the timing, so I am not worried about that. What I wanted to know is what the TDC setting pin locates on to stop the crankshaft at TDC, because that is what appears to have moved or been damaged. I had imagined that the pin or bolt made contact with the crankshaft itself, but surely that would be stronger than a 10mm bolt. As I say the bolt wasn't even bent.

Simon.

Ford Fiesta Mk4 2001 - Fiesta MK4 1.25 What have I broken?! - skidpan

The TDC location pin is not designed for holding the engine whilst tightening the pulley bolt, its only for locating TDC.

If it is still strait all that appears possible to me is a piece of the crank web has broken off allowing the bolt to pass the intended stop position cast into the crank. However, this would surprise me, the crank is normally much stonger than the TDC pin but if you used a HT10mm bolt the bolt could well have won.

If this has happened running the engine is not a good idea. The metal fragments could cause havoc and the carnk will be weakened. You really need to get the sump off and examine the crank in the area where the pin rests for damage. Unfortunately for you a damaged crank really means a replacement engine. This "Sigma" engine is not really designed to be rebuilt and there are very few service parts available (but there are probably more now than there were 6 or so years ago when i last looked).

Best of luck.

Ford Fiesta Mk4 2001 - Fiesta MK4 1.25 What have I broken?! - Simon
Is this the engine that has no keyway on the crank pulley? Are you sure that the timing hasn't slipped on the crank?
Ford Fiesta Mk4 2001 - Fiesta MK4 1.25 What have I broken?! - skidpan
Is this the engine that has no keyway on the crank pulley? Are you sure that the timing hasn't slipped on the crank?

Correct, thinking about earlier Zetec's with keyways not the later Sigma.

Ignore the timing mark on the crank pulley (surprised it has one) and find TDC using the pin (making sure No 1 is on TDC and not No 4). Ste cams up using the slots in the back and your tining is set and you are good to go once you have set the belt tensioner.

But do not use the TDC bolt to hold the crank or the cam setting bars to hold the cams while you are tightening any bolts.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread.

I did not have the time or suitable working conditions to remove the sump. So I have taken a gamble and started using the car. So far there don't seem to be any problems caused by this mishap. We have only had the car a few days although we have another Fiesta, a 1996 model of the the same engine size so I think I would notice anything untoward.

Simon.