Fiat Grande Punto 2008 1.3 Diesel - Glow plugs on Fiat Grande Punto - Black_Sheep

Hi all,

After starting my Grande Punto I sometimes get the message "check glowplugs" flash up on the screen and the glow plug indicator flashing for 10 seconds or so.

The glowplug light lights (as normal) and then goes out and it will then start without problem. A few seconds later the light comes on again.

Questions:

1) The car starts fine from stone cold - could one or more of the glow plus have a problem, or is this a sympton of a different problem (the relay?)

2) if it is the glows, I'd like to change them myself. Are there are pitfalls or problems I should be aware of? Any special tools needed? There is no haynes manual for my car!

Thank you for your help

Black Sheep

Fiat Grande Punto 2008 1.3 Diesel - Glow plugs on Fiat Grande Punto - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you could be right.One or more of the glow plugs could be at fault.(4 on this engine).I would be extremely cautious if you are going to attempt this yourself as it is very common for them to break off in the cylinder head when trying to unscrew.A deep slim socket is required.Often 8 0or 10 mm.If unsure,then take it to a garage.hth

Fiat Grande Punto 2008 1.3 Diesel - Glow plugs on Fiat Grande Punto - Peter.N.

Most common rail engines don't need the glowplugs to start uless its very cold but they do keep the emmisions down when starting from cold so you probably wouldn't know if one or more had failed.

You can do a quick check be connecting a voltmeter between any glow plug and earth, if they are all working you should have about 10-11 volts for 15-20 seconds from switching to the glow plug position, if its nearer 12.0 volts you have failures.

If you can get to the plugs to disconnect the leads, check them on 'ohms' they should read around 1 ohm if you get no reading at all they are u/s.