Volkswagon Golf 1.4 E Y reg 2000 - Advice - chesterfieldhouse

Hello,

l have just bought a second hand Golf for my son & would appreciate a little help & advice.

l have read that the 1.4 & 1.6 models have suffered from the plastic/nylon tension pully on the cam belt shattering. As this car has covered 77K, with no record of a change & l believe the recommended change is 80K or 4 years, would contributors opinion be to get this changed asap?

Secondly, there are a couple of niggly things we have found & before we start to investigate, it would be useful for some hints & tips; these are:-

1. Though the rear wash works, the wiper doesn't.

2. When the driver door is opened the courtesy light does not come on (this works fine on the passenger door)

3. Not sure if this is a fault, as this is the basic E model. The lights around the heater/blower/speed fan do not come on.

l know the above will be "bread & butter" for most of you, but all help & direction would be appreciated.

Sorry, this is a "W" reg

Volkswagon Golf 1.4 E Y reg 2000 - Advice - countryroads

Yes, do the timing belt ASAP if there is no proof of it, luckily dead easy on these engines. The courtesy light is operated by the actual latch in the door, there may be a connection off. I would remove the door panel and check that first if the light works from other doors. However the individual door modules are a not uncommon fault, found in the center of the door and about £80 from the dealer I think, or of course a used one.

As for the heater lights, pull off the fan speed knob, there is a bulb in there that lights the whole lot if I recall correctly, its pretty small but you can get them from Halfords or similar and although fiddly, easy to change.

Rear wiper could be a few things although its most likely water from the washer system has ruined the electric motor by leaking on it. Although try the usual suspects, fuses, testing for 12v at the motor etc.

Edited by countryroads on 06/02/2013 at 13:32

countryroads,

thank you very much for your help.