Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - Lynda1980

Hi we're in real need of a new car. Our current car is on its last legs & instead of putting any money into we need to get either a spacious saloon or an MPV. I need something that can accomodate our family (2 adults, 3 kids) with some decent boot space. Its mostly for local runs, but twice a month we do long trips (300miles round trip). I'm looking for something reliable (because we don't know a whole lot about cars/ mechanics to cope with break downs) and also something that's economical for the short journeys.

After doing some research, I thought maybe a Vauxhall Zafira would be suitable?

I'm going to view one this afternoon, the garage also has a Renault Grand Scenic, with similar spec for same price? Which would most people recommend of the two?

Any other advice is hugely appreciated! Thanks :)

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - Avant

Space-wise, a Zafira or Scenic would do the job, but for a better assurance of reliability I suggest you go Japanese,as you're buying secondhand (you haven't said what your budget is). A Toyota Verso or Mazda 5 will be well worth a look - petrol powered unless your annual mileage is huge.

The Nissan Qashqai is another possibility, although the 7-seater Qashqai +2 is fairly new on the market. Do you need 7 seats? - Your heading says you do although 3 kids can go abreats in the back of a reasonably-sized car.

For sheer space for people and luggage (but not a 7-seater) look at a Skoda Superb.

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - Lynda1980

Hi Thanks for your reply.

We don't have a huge amount of money to spend £6,000 is our budget & we're hoping to get something with 40M or less on it for that.

We don't particularly need a 7 seater, although we had been thinking of this as it means things are a little squashed in most cars when there is a booster seat and two child seats along one back seat?!

I will defo look at the names you mentioned & I do agree with Japanese being the reliable cars, but they're also on the more expensive side?!

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - Avant

Ah - if the children are child-seat age you're looking for width - you'll need to take the seats along with you and see if they fit.

The Skoda Superb and Ford Mondeo - perhaps even a Ford S-Max if you can find a good one within budget - move up the list: otherwise it'll have to be a 7-seater provided you're happy to have one child in the 'very back' if the seats won't fit three abreast.

There's another thread running on here at the moment ('Spacious family car....' started by Hokka Hokka) where there are some more ideas, including the Mercedes B-class and the Honda FRV. The Honda, which never sold here as well as it deserved, is a 6-seater with 3 seats in the front and 3 in the back.

Edited by Avant on 02/02/2013 at 12:08

Brilliant AVANT, I will check out all the above options! Thanks for your help ;)

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - Auristocrat

Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - a900ss
Alternatively, rather than buying a car to fit the seats what about buying the seats to fit any car that you do want?

Try googling for Multimac seats (there might be other companies as well)

I have never used them myself but it would give you a lot more options on the car front getting three (or even four) kids across one row of seats

Good luck.

Edited by a900ss on 02/02/2013 at 22:22

Thanks a900ss, for your reply.

I went to view & test drive a Vauxhall Zafira on Saturday, with great expectations of buying it & I really didn't like it. I thought from pictures of interior & from seeing these cars everywhere that'd I would love it, but I was sadly mistaken. It turned me right off them actually, my husband felt the same...So after some more investigations I am now in need of some more advice from anyone that has any knowledge of family cars.

We are now NOT going to go for a 7 seater. We have a 2000 Nissan Almera at the moment & it has been a little squashed putting a booster & two kiddies seats in the back, but we have since discovered that our eldest no longer needs a seat, so we're going for a family car with hopefully some boot space for buggy etc.

My husband thought the Vauxhall Vectra could be a runner, any suggestions from people that have any experience with these? I was shocked at the insurance quote I'm getting for these!!! (£900)

As I said earlier in the post, we only have £6K to spend, which leaves us quite limited, but in diar need of a car because ours is off the road in one week! Please help with suggestions, we are now looking for family car with boot space, that is reliable because we're going to have to get something possibly 5+ years old which will mean high mileage & with carrying children reliability is of most importance! Ahhhh the stress of it! :( Please help!

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - P1800

I'd strongly suggest a Skoda Octavia ..something like this perhaps?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212184665542/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/model/octavia/make/skoda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/one

Reliable, sturdy, VW platform, Cheap in comparison with the Passat and a wider choice of petrol engines = better fuel economy, equipment levels very good again in comparison with rivals, (particularly with that model, the elegance), also lower insurance groups with 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines compared with 1.8+ Vectra's, will go on forever, large boot and spacious interior! You'd also have a few pennies left over!

Edited by Bluenose20 on 04/02/2013 at 12:41

I'd strongly suggest a Skoda Octavia ..something like this perhaps?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212184665542/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/model/octavia/make/skoda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/one

Reliable, sturdy, VW platform, Cheap in comparison with the Passat and a wider choice of petrol engines = better fuel economy, equipment levels very good again in comparison with rivals, (particularly with that model, the elegance), also lower insurance groups with 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines compared with 1.8+ Vectra's, will go on forever, large boot and spacious interior! You'd also have a few pennies left over!

Thank you Bluenose20. I will definitely look into this! :)

Vauxhall Zafira/ Citroen Picasso/ Renault G Scenic - Need advice on a reliable second hand 7 seater - Oli rag

If reliability is a very high priority, a Mazda 6 or a Toyota avensis are both good choices, providing you buy a petrol engined version.