New car now collected! - Rebecca
Thank you all for your advice. I hope I took it all on board. The dealer's own check list had more items on it than mine so I think I've been pretty thorough.

I'm pleased to say that I haven't found any problems...long may that continue. I went over every centimetre of the paintwork, I was so paranoid. It rained for a bit on the trip back to the office, so I know the door seals are intact!

Out of interest, where would I have found an independent expert to have checked the car over for me? Without going round in circles, how would I know that he was an expert - and how much should I have expected to pay?

For those who are concerned about such things, the car is a BMW 318i estate (oops, sorry TOURING), the dealer is Snows in Portsmouth.

For the record when asked a few months back, HJ suggested going for something else instead - but that's the good thing about advice - you don't have to take it. (Fingers crossed I won't have to eat humble pie in the months to come!)
Re: New car now collected! - Jonathan
The RAC and AA do inspections on cars.

Although I got one on a nissan 200sx - cost about £175 and the report wasn't much - just said that the car was in reasonable condition for its age and it had now reached a stage where parts were likely to need replacing. On a 10 year old car - i should be surprised!!!!
Re: New car now collected! - Darcy Kitchin
Rebecca
New car - enjoy.
But remember to turn the front fogs off when you don't need them ;-)
Re: New car now collected! - Ashley
Don't forget to let us small fry out at junctions too !

Oh, it's usually the fairer sex that do anyway. ( cowers down in anticipation)
OW !
Someone say medic ?

Regards,

Ash.

Darcy Kitchin wrote:
>
> Rebecca
> New car - enjoy.
> But remember to turn the front fogs off when you don't need
> them ;-)
Re: New car now collected! - John Slaughter
Rebecca

Glad to see someone else on this site admits to owning a BMW! Just be prepared to ignore the odd jibe about the manners of BMW drivers.

Well, I like my BMW; hope you enjoy yours too.

Regards

John
Re: Inspection service - Stuart B
Thats the reason I asked the question Rebecca, because I suspect that such inspections are totally geared to second hand motors, priced and executed accordingly. Therefore there is nobody who would do it on a new motor. Plus I have no experience of how good they are/are not. By the deafening silence it appears as though the Back Room thinks it is a non starter.
Re: Inspection service - Roger Jones
Rebecca

Buying new from a reputable dealer really should minimize the risk of snags and faults. Mind you, I bought a new Golf VR6 4 years ago and had a ding-dong battle with both the dealer and VAG to get them to acknowledge that the rusting of the brake callipers after six months was unacceptable, not least because it was so visible through the open-spoke wheels, and that they should do something about it. I kept it cool and in writing throughout the process and eventually won: they painted the callipers -- which of course are now beginning to corrode again, but I guess that's not unacceptable now. The car remains brilliant and I can't imagine selling it.

Enjoy your new car. It's a rare experience and one to savour.
Re: New car now collected! - Andrew
Medic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: New car now collected! - Rebecca
I have no problem with a few BMW jibes because of course I'm happy that I am well-mannered - can't speak for other drivers though.

Funnily enough I was going to make the point that the 318 is a bit of a 'girl's car' anyway (again, why should that bother me?!) Hope John S isn't offended by that comment!

But surely the worst manners on the road are those exhibited by Saab drivers...the bane of my life.
Rebecca,

Not offended at all, I had a 318 a few years ago and now have a 323! As for Saab drivers - well, have you ever driven one? Sloppy handling just isn't strong enough (note HJ's review of the revised 9-5 on the site) - last time I drove anything that heeled like the 900 I once owned it was a sailing dinghy. I think they are just frustrated they didn't buy a BMW!

Do I feel a thread coming on????

Cheers

john
Re: New car now collected! - Dave
John Slaughter wrote:

> last time I drove
> anything that heeled like the 900 I once owned it was a
> sailing dinghy.

> Do I feel a thread coming on????

A thread about your lack of sailing ability probably!

'Flat is Fast' John. You'll pop onto the plane much faster upright.

The exception to this is a twin chine dingy like an Enterbox where in light airs it is good to lift the windward chine out of the water to reduce wetted area.

I hope this helps!!!
Dave

Amazing site this - there's always someone who knows about every topic! Yes, you're right about speed and planing, but I had cornering, tacking and gybing in mind here! The 900 is ok on the straights, but bends? forget it!

Cheers

John
Re: New car now collected! - Dave
John Slaughter wrote:

> Amazing site this - there's always someone who knows about
> every topic!

I feel a Triathlon coming on here!

Driving, sailing, erm... Something will come to me.
Re: Sailing dinghies - Stuart B
I issue a challenge to David W to get this thread legitimately onto ssssh you know who!
Re: Triathlon - Stuart B
How about cycling, like in the real triathlon, except you can only go through red lights!

Of course dinghies and bigger yachts reef down when the conditions get a bit bumpy, so you can still keep em flat. Unlike cars when you can still get the full welly when its foggy/ icy/ wet. In this case keeping it flat has an entirely different connotation, flat in fifth!
Re: Triathlon - Dave
Stuart B wrote:
>
> How about cycling, like in the real triathlon, except you can
> only go through red lights!

Well, we could just simulate cycling by driving our cars without Tax or Insurance.
Re: New car now collected! - Richard
318i? Oops! Should have got the 320d....a superb machine!
Re: New car now collected! - Neil
Richard wrote:
>
> 318i? Oops! Should have got the 320d....a superb machine!

And £1645 more expensive according to list price.
And a shedload more company car tax because it's over 2L
Re: New car now collected! - Neil
For good advice on company car tax liability try

www.fleetnewsnet.co.uk

They also have good road tests and news archives.
Re: New car now collected! - Stuart B
Rebecca wrote:
>
> And a shedload more company car tax because it's over 2L

Sorry to upset you Rebecca, but assuming I have got my figures right on the list prices as I do not have the petrol figure.

From April 2002 its based on how much CO2/km is produced and not capacity.

320D Touring
LP = 22635
CO2/km = 156
BIK = (15%+3%)*LP = £4074 assumed BIK

318i Touring
LP = 22635-1645= 20990
CO2/km = 224
BIK = 26%*LP = £5457 assumed BIK

Therefore extra tax @ 40% = £553

Oops!

If my figs or logic are not correct then I am happy to be put right.
Not upset at all, but it's the private fuel element where the difference comes in. Sorry to have put you to the trouble of all that maths!

Quite apart from that I wanted an Automatic (uh-oh, does this set the thread off again? It's a girl thing again probably) which also bumps up the CO2 figures. And either the 320D touring or 330D touring, can't remember which, isn't available as an Auto. Or maybe diesels can't be automatic for some reason? I dunno.

By the way, 21 replies on, I'm still really pleased with the new car - the old one was a 320i Auto (2L) the current 320i is now 2.1L - although I did think that having to pay £80 for the privilege of having door handles in the same colour as the car was a bit of a cheek. What next? A supplement for circular wheels?

Ho-hum.
Re: Maths no worries - Stuart B
No problems with the maths Rebecca, hated it at school though, real bully of a Maths master, used to hit you round the head with his gown, couple of overhand knots in the end, yikes did it sting! Wouldn't get away with that today.

I was guilty of assuming that nobody has private fuel these days unless they do mega miles of private motoring.

As for diesels and autos, you are quite right N/A on a 320d but it is an extra £1220 on a 330d which hikes up the Touring list price to £28765, which is just a bit shy of 2X what I paid for my first house. :-(

Personally I hope on my next car I can manage to get a diesel and an auto. There are a few cars where the addition of an auto box has been seen to be just what the manual diesel version wanted, eg Xantia XUD1.9TD, and IMHO the Rover75 2.0CDT, with the tourer auto being the one to have.