Honda CRV i-VTEC Auto 2004 - Honda Fault Code P1259 - Negger

Hi,

CRV engine fault warning light is on. Car runs fine upto 2700 rpm, misses badly till drops below 2500, then runs fine, unless accelerate again.
Plugged into professional 'Snap-On' code reader and comes up with only P1259.
This indicates a VTEC System malfunction; either:
Wiring
VTEC Solenoid
VTEC Pressure Switch or
ECM

Can anyone suggest best order (cheapest !) to try and identify specific problem and/or how to correct rather than simply putting into auto-electrician ?

I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic, but no expert when it come sto electronics.
I have searched Forum but drawn a blank, which seems odd, I can't be the first to have seen this ?

Regards

Honda CRV i-VTEC Auto 2004 - Honda Fault Code P1259 - elekie&a/c doctor

This fault relates to the variable valve timing system which is oil pressure controlled via various solenoids/pressure switches.First check the oil level,if it ok ,then an oil and filter change may help the situation.Use the correct spec quality oil.hth

Honda CRV i-VTEC Auto 2004 - Honda Fault Code P1259 - injection doc

I would 2 nd that but they also suffer with coil issues that flag up as vtec issues.

I would do oil & filter first. I am sure there is even a tiny gauze filter in the oil feed to the VVT system.

Honda CRV i-VTEC Auto 2004 - Honda Fault Code P1259 - Negger

Thank you both for your response. After a bit of googling I'd found out about the gauze filter in the VTEC solenoid; removed it, twas about 75% blocked, cleaned with petrol, checked movement of piston and put back.
Have been on several short trips and pushed it up to 4,000+ rpm without the fault re-appearing. I'll take it on a longer run tomorrow and will change the oil and filter anyway.

I'll post any further developments.

Regards