Puegeot 405 1.9 TD - Puegeot 405 coolant pipe behind injector pump snap - 405xud

Hello,
Have you got experience of anyone snapping the little coolant pipe which protrudes and attaches to a flexible pipe on the front left of the head just above
the glow plug which resides behind the injector pump on a Peugeot 405 XUD
engine?

It snapped off earlier today whilst replacing plugs - it must have
been very ripe because I was careful not to exert any pressure on it,
but it went anyway (corroded copper perhaps). I did not have any
materials to create a stent or sleeve a repair to the pipe, so I
blocked both ends of the pipe.

So now I presume that coolant is not circulating the head correctly
(if at all). The car runs fine and the general coolant temperature has
not been adversely affected. My super reliable car has done 210K and
now I only drive short distances (8 miles or so to work) so I do not
expect the head to suffer adversely (as it will never get too hot)
while I determine if I can source a replacement pipe or effect a
repair or leave it?

There are two allen bolts which secure a frame that presents this
little outlet pipe (which sheared off flush), I suspect that this
little module may be replaceable if I can get hold of one from the
scrapper. I suspect the whole pump will need to be removed to get to
the lower bolt and fit it though...

I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else and what they
did if anything to resolve it.

Update:
In chatting with friends I have determined that I probably need to see if I can fit a bleed nipple in there so the thread will hold it in place under pressure (probably only around 12 p.s.i) and if I drill it out, it will always allow the flow (which may just be for bleeding and equalising rather than cooling) regardless of how much I manage to screw the nipple in.

Thoughts would be most welcome - particularly if anyone knows what that pipe is exactly for... thank you.

regards,
Kev

Puegeot 405 1.9 TD - Puegeot 405 coolant pipe behind injector pump snap - Peter.N.

I am quite familier with XUD engines but don't remember that pipe - probably because I have never broken one, I think it probably is just an air bleed pipe, these engines were notorious for boiling and cracking heads when they first came out but it was usually due to air in the system.

If there is air in the head it can stop the hot water reaching the thermostat, as a consequence it doesn't open and the water boils.

Puegeot 405 1.9 TD - Puegeot 405 coolant pipe behind injector pump snap - 405xud

Thank you for the advice.

I think that water can probably circulate the head from channels up through the block. it just wont be able to use this return route. The temperature appears to work as normal, and the thermostat opens after a few miles as it always has done, so I don't suspect that I am doing much damage on short trips until I have time / daylight / dry weather to invesitage further and perhaps perform the bleed nipple repair.

regards, Kev

Puegeot 405 1.9 TD - Puegeot 405 coolant pipe behind injector pump snap - Peter.N.

I don't think you will do it any harm, you may have a problem if you drain and refill it though. The safest thing to do is release the air behind the thermostat, I think there is a plug in the housing that you can unscrew, or at least there was on a ZX I did a little while ago.