Any - sports convertible - tiggrrr

I have a Mazda MX5 which has served me well for over 2 years. I am looking to upgrade and wondered what were the options if I went for another convertible costing less than £8,000? Would a performance car such as a Jaguar or Porsche Boxter prove to be troublesom ore expensive? Maybe I should just go with another MX5?

Any - sports convertible - RT

You need to consider what you want out of your next car - image and/or performance and/or fun and/or low running costs.

If the money's burning a hole in your pocket then keep the MX5 and put your cash into a growth Unit Trust through a Stock & Shares ISA !!

Any - sports convertible - Collos25

Look at the cost of service parts ie discs and pads ,trackrod ends ,suspension parts etc then compare them with your present car.Porshe Boxters eat brake discs and they cost for all four changing at Porshe around 4k and have a habit of springing very expensive oil leaks.I would have thought you have the best convertible on the market well made reasonable cost to run and they look good.

Any - sports convertible - Collos25

Duplicate post.

Edited by Avant on 27/01/2013 at 14:45

Any - sports convertible - jamie745

There are some decent CLK's about for that kind of money, but you'd want to be very picky as to which one you bought. That's more of a slushy cruiser though, if you wanted the car you wish your MX-5 was then consider a BMW Z4, plenty of which can be had for that price.

Any - sports convertible - Bobbin Threadbare

There are some decent CLK's about for that kind of money, but you'd want to be very picky as to which one you bought. That's more of a slushy cruiser though, if you wanted the car you wish your MX-5 was then consider a BMW Z4, plenty of which can be had for that price.

That is not a good comparison Jamie - the drive is quite different! I tested out both and found the MX-5 to be far sportier and more responsive than the Z4.

If you mean 'upgrade' OP, then one must assume that you're willing to fork out for the running costs of something a price bracket or two up. I went racing (as a passenger) with a driver in a Lotus Elise, and he suggested that those are pretty close to the MX-5 but just have that next level of aggressiveness and power.

You could look for an Alfa Spider, a Jaguar XK, a Nissan 350Z, or for sheer grunt, a BMW 330Ci M Sport.

Otherwise, like Collos says, you've got the best all-round sporty convertible on the market! As have I. I think my next car after the MX-5 is probably going to be a Toyota GT86 as I'm not willing to maintain and fuel a Boxster.

Any - sports convertible - Avant

It depends what you want from an 'upgrade'.

Four years ago I had £8.000 or so to spend on a fun car. An MX-5 was an obvious choice, but I settled for a BMW Z3 which is more of a grand tourer than an out-and-out sports car, and has suited me fine: it also has the terrific sound of a straight-six engine.

£8,000 will get you a decent BMW X4 or perhaps a Mercedes SLK. A Porsche Boxster is more of a sports car but as Collos says they can be expensive to run: much depends on how a previous owner treated it.

If your current MX-5 is a 1.6, then a 1.8 or 2.0 may appeal. If you already have a 1.8 or 2.0 and still want a sports car, keeep the one you've got unless it becomes very expensive to repair.

Any - sports convertible - 2.0Tsi
Honda S2000, that's your answer
Any - sports convertible - Bobbin Threadbare
Honda S2000, that's your answer

Dammit I forgot to put that one in my reply too! Add it to the list!

Bobbin's back! Where's she been?!

I think the Honda S2000 returns surprisingly high insurance fees.

Any - sports convertible - Avant

Yes, I too forgot the Honda. Worth a look, but I'm not sure how many good ones there around, and as Jamie says insurance could be a problem.

It'd be fine for me of course because I am an upstanding, respectable member of the community.

Edited by jamie745 on 27/01/2013 at 18:50

Any - sports convertible - tiggrrr

Thanks everyone for their advice. I too forgot about the Honda S2000, but don't they have expensive road tax ?

My current car is a 1.8 on a 53 plate MX5 with 56,000 miles. I have been offered £2,500 by a Mazda dealer on a P/EX.

I just fancied something different, but maybe another MX5 is a safe bet, maybe even a 2 ltr version.

Any - sports convertible - Happy Blue!

Why do people consider road tax as a major part of running a car? Its normally a couple of tanks of fuel or so. And when buying a fun car - the whole point is fun and be damned of a boring life with minor worries like RFL.

A post 2001 S2000 is in Band L which is £270 a year. Or £460 if it was registered after March 2003.

Look my car is £475 a year to tax. Big deal.