Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - nico77

I bought a two year old Citroen C1 VTR+ (13k miles at the time) in September last year from a main dealer. I was told it had a full service history. When I picked it up there was no service book. I queried this at the time and was told they would get it. They did not find it in their office and have been unable to provide the original service book. I have been provided with a replacement but it has the first service missing. I am now in discussion with a garage about this.

I paid what I consider the full price (£5.5k) for the car based in part on it having a full service history. I would appreciate any thoughts about what the difference in price would be for this car with and without a service history? I would like to hear any advice on how to deal with this.

Any answers much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - daveyjp
Ask a Citroen dealer if they have any service records for it.
Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - Cyd

As the car is quite new it should be possible for the dealer you bought from to trace the original supplying dealer and find out if they serviced it. if they did they should be able to provide you documentary evidence.

Otherwise I'd say it should've been about 10% cheaper.

Todays lesson: check the documentation on any car before putting any money on the table. Never take a dealers word - keep one eye on that big fin on their back!

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - gordonbennet

As above.

Assuming the car had its first service at a Citroen main dealer the records should be on their computer, its in the supplying (to you) dealers interests to get proof for you of service.

If they get this in some form of documentary evidence then there is no loss in value.

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - nico77

Thanks for all the answers.

I called the supplying dealer and they have a record of the sale but nothing about servicing. I called about 12 dealers in the area (Darlington) of the previous (1st) owner with no result.

According to everyone I phoned there is no central record for servicing held by Citroen / dealers which I found surprising.

I shall learn from this and hopefully other people will take note. Luckily there were 3 of us present when the full service history was mentioned and the dealer principal appears to be taking this seriously, but then he would say he was wouldn't he?

Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - bathtub tom

Service records and stamps are freely available on certain well known auction sites.

A stamped service book's about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard, what you need is receipts.

Don't let this deter you from getting a useful refund from the dealer.

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - injection doc

I think I would be more concerened about a warranty claim should you need one ( most unlikley ) we have two C1's and they have been the most relaible cars we have ever had ! they have been brilliant & quite happy to buy a third.

I think you need to discuss with dealer what happens if you have a major failure & citroen wont play ball due to no service history ! & get it in writing from the dealer.

good luck

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - madf

I treat all promises by car dealers before they sell the car as potential lies and demand they deliver on them before I pay my money.

Promising to do summat to close a sale and then not delivering are endemic in car sales..

Citroen C1 - Price of car with and without service history? - RT

I treat all promises by car dealers before they sell the car as potential lies and demand they deliver on them before I pay my money.

Promising to do summat to close a sale and then not delivering are endemic in car sales..

Not just car sales - I don't find them any worse than other products being sold.