Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - mak

Recently bought car which was on variable servicing using longlife oil. I wish to change this to annual servicing and the handbook state that I should use an oil meeting specifications VW 505.01 or VW507.00. My question is should I change to the 505.01 05/40w oil that is specific for PD engines or keep using the longlife 507.00 05/30w oil but change it annually? The reason I am asking is that I believe this engine is hard on oil and also may suffer cam damage so my concern is avoiding any wear as much as possible. When I compare the two Castrol oils meeting these specs/grades there is no price difference,but cost is not a factor, but feel that as the 507.00 seems to be the latest oil would this be better at protecting the engine and emission parts? The car is a 2005 model with 75k miles, EU4 without a dpf.

Many thanks

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - craig-pd130

If you're changing it annually, I don't think it matters too much. But as you say the 507.00 spec is designed for a longer service life: if the prices are roughly the same, go with the 507.

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - cws

It was recomended to me by a VW mechanic to use the latest LongLife oil but change it annually/every 10,000miles.

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - unthrottled

You don't need 507.00 unless you've got a DPF. 507.00 isn't a "better" lubricating oil than 505.01, it's simply a low ash formula that reduces the irreversible clogging of the DPF with ash.

EDIT: Costco do a dirt cheap basic oil at £36 for 4 gallons that (I think) is 505.00 approved! I can't remember if 505.00 is suitable for PD engines or only the rotary distributer pump predecessor. If it is, you've got oil changes for pennies.

Edited by unthrottled on 24/01/2013 at 22:39

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - 659FBE

Never, ever, put 505.00 oil in a PD engine - 505.01 is the minimum spec.

I too would recommend oil to spec. 507.00 changed annually/10k miles.

505.01 is semi-synth, 507.00 fully synth and is, in my view worth the extra cost in view of the rather marginal valve cam and follower loadings on this engine.

Use a Bosch or Mann & Hummel filter making sure you have the 14 sided spanner to unscrew the housing. Use a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug.

Many thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.

It's just that I have a niggle in the back of my mind that a fully synthetic 10w/40 PD oil will be better at protecting the cam and bearings than a fully synthetic 05w/30 oil. In Castrol mode these cost the same. Any views?

Once again many thanks.

Oops, sorry should have said........a fully synthetic 05w/40 PD oil.

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - craig-pd130

The viscosity doesn't matter that much, I would simply suggest going for the latest PD spec (507.00)

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - Crasher

To be clear, what matters is the oil MUST be specified to work in a VAG PD TDI engine. If it doubt, go to a VW dealer and get their 5w/40 Platinum oil.

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - oldwrigley

What your style of driving is dictates what service plan best protects your engine and suits your needs

longlife servicing regime is for people that usually drive more than 25 miles per journey and mainly gentle long distance driving.

time/distance servicing is for arduous use meaning towing, stop start town driving, spirited driving etc

if you want maximum protection go for the time/distance service regime

for time distance (maximum protection) use 5w-40 505.01 oil ONLY and not the longlife oils or the 5w-30 505.01 oils, these are usually a fully synthetic oil but some semi synthetic 505.01 oils are about. The Quantum Platinum 5w-40 is blended by BP/Castrol and is what we use in our workshop.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

hope this helps

Edited by oldwrigley on 28/01/2013 at 16:21

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - quizman

How can using the long life oil be detremental in a car serviced every year?

I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 in my Golf and change it once a year after about 5000 miles. The car is running very well.

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - oldwrigley

Longlife oil doesn't provide the best protection for the engine under all operating conditions, it only provides satisfactory protection under the operating conditions stated in the longlife service regime guidelines (this is always miss sold by sales people at point of sale because it sounds good when you say it only has to be serviced once every 2 years)

The 5w-40 505.01 oil has a naturally higher film strength because it's an SAE40 not an SAE 30 when it's hot, also they have more antiwear additives in them as the longlife oils are restricted on the amount of EP/ZDDP/anti wear additives due to DPF protection reasons

If your car has a DPF then obviously you can only use VW507.00 regardless

Edited by oldwrigley on 31/01/2013 at 14:16

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi PD engine BKC - Which oil for diesel engine? - pil68

If your car has a DPF then obviously you can only use VW507.00 regardless

Agreed. I'll make this easy for the OP. Put Platinum 5w40 in your car and you'll be fine. You can buy it for £20.35 + vat (5 litres) at your local TPS Centre. If you time it right, it's £14.99 when it's on offer. You don't need Longlife III for your vehicle.