Gritters - Ben 10

Travelling from London to Scotland and back again over the past couple of days, I haven't been able to avoid gritters pebble dashing my paintwork. They drive in the motorway middle lane making it impossible to pass without receiving a pasting. Not only that, the lorries in front of me threw up grit onto the screen, Then trying to clean the screen to see through the salt, grit lying on the wiper blades had made some nice scratches on the glass.

So for my sins of attending a funeral, I have scratched paintwork. Scratched screen and a couple of chips from the larger grit pieces. I understand gritting at night with temperatures at or below zero, but when my reading is 3 degrees during the day, cant the gritting be done with a little more consideration for peoples property when its actually icey.

All along my route I had sign messages showing "Salt Spreading", Well I have no objections to dropping salt everywhere, its a lot softer, but the grit. The salt would still do the same job. The grit gets blown or shoved to the edges of the carriageway over time, Its the salt that actually gets into the crevices of the road to dry it out.

More salt less grit please HA.

Edited by Ben 10 on 24/01/2013 at 12:09

Gritters - RT

Mixing grit with salt is more effective as well as cheaper. Given the huge road mileage that needs gritting, it can't always be done when it suits you - anyway it's best done BEFORE it freezes!

Where do you expect the gritter trucks to drive other than in the middle lane - there's no legal requirement to overtake them.

Using washers, with suitable additive to stop it freezing, is the way to avoid windscreen scratches.

If they used more salt, less grit you'd soon complain at the extra corrosion !

Edited by RT on 24/01/2013 at 12:39

Gritters - Collos25

Agreed the OP has a basic lack of knowledge and understanding.

Gritters - madf

The obvious answer is to drive more slowly.

Gritters - Chris M

I've often wondered why road works can't be done on the roads when I'm not using them.

And, when I'm travelling by train, why can't they cancel the train after the one I want to catch?

My life would be made so much easier!